Dawes Kingpin Restoration/Refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm not sure if I have restored or refurbished this bike, probably a bit of both. A labour of love, a folly and foolhardiness.

I bought a Dawes Kingpin last year on a bit of a whim, I had one in the early ‘70’s, and the first bike I ever bought with my own money. I don't know why I decided to go down memory lane like this but it seemed like a good idea at the time. On doing some research I discovered that the bike I bought new in mid-1970 was actually an earlier late 60's model. On further inspection the date on the Sturmey Archer hub on the bike I bought last year is February 1968 so I expect that's about right, my original bike came from a bike shop along the Upper Richmond Road in Sheen, SW London, I cannot remember the name of the shop. I do remember how much it cost £38-15s-3d. That included all the extras as well as a Tartan bike bag.

For my project I knew I wanted dark blue, with the aluminium holed chain guard, a dynohub, lights, three speed and spring rack and embossed Dawes head tube badge. I eventually found one the right colour and year on EBay, they a vary a bit with slight mod changes over the production years, and I think they used to vary within years/models as far as parts were concerned depending on what they had on the shelf. Actually the seller was selling two as a job lot; I won the bidding and collected them. They were both in a bit of a state, the eBay photographs were not a lot of help, but the items were not mis-described. I should have done a bit more research, the blue one I wanted had everything as listed except for the head badge.

15_back_and_Kingpin.jpg

This is the bike I was trying to replicate in blue, but with a tartan rack bag and the embossed head badge.

IMG_0107.JPG

This is one of the two bikes I bought it looks better in the photo than did in real life.

IMG_0116 (640x427) (640x427).jpg

It was a bit rusty.

IMG_0119 (640x427) (2).jpg

and the paint was pitted.

HAndlebar1 (640x427).jpg

Chrome was flaking in places

Handlebar2 (640x427).jpg

Gonna need a bigger pot of polish.

IMG_0123 (640x427).jpg

Too far gone.

More on this project to follow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I set about taking the blue one apart, leaving the other purple later mid 70's (1975) one as a "donor" bike and also as a pattern just in case I forgot how to put things back in the correct order. Initially all I wanted to do was to give everything a good clean up, get rid of the rust, polish the frame, change the tyres, it soon became clear that this project was not going to be as easy as I first thought.

More research revealed that getting paint off a bike and repainting was going to be quite difficult and I was about to abandon the project when I heard about Mercian cycles, who, as well as manufacture their own brand of bikes restore bikes and frames too. I got a quote, and sent the bike off to Mercian; I got them to refurbish the bottom bracket and headset too, whilst they were at it, just to save me a bit of agro. This cost quite a bit of money and more than I originally had intended to spend, but it is done now. Mercian took quite a long time to do the bike, but I was in no rush, and the finished frame was stunning, much better than it was when it was new.

IMG_0524 (640x381).jpg
IMG_0525 (640x480).jpg

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
that paint job looks great.

edit: whats in the jar?

It does look good don't it. The bike is actually finished, put new brake blocks on today and rode it for the first time. I haven't finished typing up the work, so I'll add more soon.

Iron tablet in the jar, should have moved that out the way.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just added a post about the wheels.

wisdom

Guru
Nice blog and a very nice job indeed.
I am doing the same with a dawes fleur racer for my daughter.
Will have to get some solvol autosol to finish off.
Well done.

IncoherentJeff

Looks great! Nice you've inspired me to have another crack at an old Raleigh I've got tucked away in the loft.
Impressed with how good the chrome/aluminium looks after your hard work.

Any tips on removing the crank cotters? Mine defeated my various attempts hence I stuck it in the loft out of frustration.

Top Bottom