Dawes Kingpin Restoration/Refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Looks great! Nice you've inspired me to have another crack at an old Raleigh I've got tucked away in the loft.
Impressed with how good the chrome/aluminium looks after your hard work.

Any tips on removing the crank cotters? Mine defeated my various attempts hence I stuck it in the loft out of frustration.

Thanks for the kind words, as for the cotter pins, I just twatted them with hammer and they popped out.

Last edited:
wondering if you ever found any of the cable clips you were looking for,
ive just got a twenty that im going to restore and came accross this site

http://raleightwenty.webs.com/

may be worth posting a wanted add for your clips on there

RR

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
wondering if you ever found any of the cable clips you were looking for,
ive just got a twenty that im going to restore and came accross this site

http://raleightwenty.webs.com/

may be worth posting a wanted add for your clips on there

RR

I have seen that site, but it never occurred to me to post an ad there, I may give it a go. What id in the end with the clips was clean up and rub down the ones I had and painted them silver, they look quite good and will do until I find some chrome ones.

What 20 did you get, and why did you decide on that particular bike?

I got a bsa twenty (non folding) pretty much for the same reason to be honest , had one years ago etc ,plus i saw your kingpin and thought hmm why not .
I will post pics later , they are on the raleigh twenty sites albums under the same username, roadrash.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I got a bsa twenty (non folding) pretty much for the same reason to be honest , had one years ago etc ,plus i saw your kingpin and thought hmm why not .
I will post pics later , they are on the raleigh twenty sites albums under the same username, roadrash.

Just signed up to the Twenty site, saw the pics there, it looks like it was in better nick than mine. There are some really mad pimped up 20" bikes on that site. I've got two spare frame...might be another project coming on.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am in the process of restoring a 1956 Moto Guzzi motorbike and so am well aware how much work,you will have put in to restoring your cycle. It is a credit to you.

Do you have any idea of the final cost. ?

Steve

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That is how I feel about my 1956 bike ;0) I know what a labour of love is now.

I will just assume you could have brought a new bike for the cost. I know I could.

IMG_7877.jpg

bella_italia_2012_066.jpg

I am keen to have a go at a vintage bike, but it would need to be something special.

Steve

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
That is how I feel about my 1956 bike ;0) I know what a labour of love is now.

I will just assume you could have brought a new bike for the cost. I know I could.

IMG_7877.jpg

bella_italia_2012_066.jpg

I am keen to have a go at a vintage bike, but it would need to be something special.

Steve

That's stunning, that bike is year older than me, I wish I could do a refurb on me.

I could have bought a very nice new bike for what that refurb cost, yes.

bashful

Great job. I have an old Kingpin that needs some work. Still riding it but it has seen better days and the tartan bag has had it, unfortunately.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Indeed it does look good. Can't read your blog though, it appears to have been moved (I appreciate the thread is 5 years old).
I also have a Kingpin, which I got from an auction and I'm still riding round on it, having done little more than replace tubes and tyres and a bit of a clean.
Think I need a longer seat post though, unfortunately the only one I can find is three times what I paid for the bike (£5)!!!

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Indeed it does look good. Can't read your blog though, it appears to have been moved (I appreciate the thread is 5 years old).
I also have a Kingpin, which I got from an auction and I'm still riding round on it, having done little more than replace tubes and tyres and a bit of a clean.
Think I need a longer seat post though, unfortunately the only one I can find is three times what I paid for the bike (£5)!!!

The blog URL seems to have changed, I don’t remember doing that. Maybe google did it. Anyway here it is

http://daweskingpinbike.blogspot.com/?m=1

I still have the bike and use it occasionally on sunny dry days.

Below are the most recent photos.

F276D2CB-195C-4F5A-BBDC-3A36F7263545.jpeg
DEC967C7-9949-4220-B399-0641C1BA8EA6.jpeg
6E3AE4AC-B408-4657-A6CD-89A2BA581739.jpeg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Does the dynohub work? They're only 2W when new but can run LED headlamps very well. The usual problem is that someone has dismantled it - unless the permanent magnet assembly comes out of the shell and right into the custom SA keeper ring, it's game over. You may be able to get one remagnetised but it still has to be kept in iron at all times.

Top Bottom