Dawes Lightning Knowledge Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Babu_The_Great

Hi all, first time posting on the site, any help would be much appreciated
I am in the process of renovating my dads 1980's Dawes Lightning and need to replace the gear leavers. At some point they have been moved from the down tube to the handle bar stem.
I'm wondering if anyone knows what make they originally would have been and where I might be able to find a replacement.
If it helps the gear shifters are Simplex SXA32 front derailleur and Simplex S001 rear derailleur.
Thanks in advance

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Evening & welcome @Babu_The_Great

Some thing like these might do you depending upon what amount of gears you have https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunrace-...var=490184275853&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't think anyone has moved them, they may always have been there! Nothing to stop you putting some shifters on the down tube but you'll need a band as well.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would question whether moving them to the downtube is actually a good idea. Downtube shifters are simple and look elegant, but they are not as user-friendly as having the shifters higher up where they are easier to reach. I still have them on two bikes, and I grew up riding such bikes so I am used to them, but even so I do not make such effective use of the gears as I do on those bikes I ride where the gearshifts are mounted on the bars.

Hi all, first time posting on the site, any help would be much appreciated
I am in the process of renovating my dads 1980's Dawes Lightning and need to replace the gear leavers. At some point they have been moved from the down tube to the handle bar stem.
I'm wondering if anyone knows what make they originally would have been and where I might be able to find a replacement.
If it helps the gear shifters are Simplex SXA32 front derailleur and Simplex S001 rear derailleur.
Thanks in advance

after a few more posts on here (possibly 5), you should be able to post some images - people on here like images and it may help to give you some help.

I have a Dawes from the 70s, it didn't have the braze on mounts on the down tube but a nub on the underside where the band on mount was fixed. if I can get to it later today, I will get a photo.

OP
OP
B

Babu_The_Great

Thank you all for your help. I know they were originally on the down tube as my dad remembers them bring there ^_^ I managed to find one on ebay that was from the 80's and it works a charm.
And yes the nub fits in a slot in the band to stop it sliding down

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Stem mounted shifters are quite good for emasculating the rider in a crash. Other than that, they are the worst form of shifter known (except maybe the vintage type that required the rear QR to be opened while riding!).

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My blue Dawes Lightning 10 speed has down-tube shifters- I bought it new in February 1981- and have never found them to be a problem, even downshifting both levers at the same time!

I'll post a photo of the shifters tomorrow if I remember...- love my old bike.
IMG_1377.jpg
P6250618.jpeg

Top Bottom