Dawes Red Feather - help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anachronism

I have a 1960s Dawes Red Feather in need of restoration. I am mechanically competent but know little about pedal cycles. I know that this bike has been treated to non-standard metric parts and I want to restore it to its proper imperial specification, particularly as far as what i would call the pedal crank and the ball bearings are concerned. I cannot find a specification. Can anyone assist with parts measurements and a source of suitable parts? The frame seems fine. The wheels are non-original.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Would love to see some pics if you can post them yet. If you can't post a link to them on a photo sharing site.
Should be possible to source correct age related parts.
Lovely bike and a top model in the day. Does it have a Williams chainset and l/f hubs? Should have Campag gears and look like this:

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Bike frames are still imperial, except for small braze-ons which are now usually M5 x 0.8. Rear mech hangers are M10 x 1 but vintage bikes never had those!

The dropouts and fork ends may have been filed to take metric axles, which are slightly bigger, but you can't reverse that and imperial hubs will still fit.

Top Bottom