Dawes Sardar: opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgraham61

HI Guys,

I'm thinking about buying one of these bikes and as a complete novice to touring I was hoping to get some feed back from the more experienced folk in here. I'm hoping to find a bike for long distance rides which is also capable of carrying enough load to be self supported.

prod_thu_16183.jpg

Dawes Sardar Bike (2008) Frame: Alloy expedition frame
Gears: Shimano Deore LX 27 speed
Fork: Steel rigid
Headset; Black 1 1/8 A-head
Hubs; 36 hole Shimano M580 alloy black
Rims; 36 hole double wall alloy
Stem; Alloy 1 1/8 matt black with polished top cap
Handlebar; Alloy MTB riser bar in black
Brakes; Shimano M-431 V-brake
Derailleurs; Shimano M580 front & rear
Crankset; Truvativ Isoflow 44/32/22 175mm crank
Extras; 3/4 length mudgaurds with QR,Alloy carrier with straps, kick stand, alloy bottle cage.
Sizes: 18" 20" 22"
Weight; 15.5kg
Colour: Gloss black

gwhite

Über Member
These bikes are generally regarded as being of good value and particularly those with a steel frame. Not many points against them and it would be very capable for what you have in mind.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
If your budget is up to it have a look at the Thorn tourers which have the great advantage of being Rohloff equipped i.e. maintenance free gears which don't go wrong.

OP
OP
R

robgraham61

Thanks Guys,

GWhite- this frame is alloy, would that make a big difference as opposed to a steel frame? I realise it would be lighter but what about it's strength regarding carrying a heavy load?

Andy- I will have a look at the Thorn website, any particular type?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
robgraham61 said:
Thanks Guys,

GWhite- this frame is alloy, would that make a big difference as opposed to a steel frame? I realise it would be lighter but what about it's strength regarding carrying a heavy load?

It depends what kind of touring you want to do. They have a super extreme model that lets your pedal through volcanoes or something, one that you can take apart and then the ones for normal mortals, which is what I suspect will do the business for you. The website is quite informative.

Tony

The Sardar is in its second incarnation, the earlier one (one of my bikes) having proper bars and a choice between bar-end levers or combined brake/gear.. It comes with fittings for disc brakes and a spoke carrier on the chain stay.
The original rims were poor, and I now have new wheels on. It rides well, and the only problem I have had with it apart from the rims is in its 26" wheels. Coming off a 700c bike it feels very twitchy at first.

gwhite

Über Member
robgraham61 said:
Thanks Guys,

While many experienced tourers prefer steel frames, I think for your purposes it really doesn't matter. It should do the job and provide sterling service.

Top Bottom