Dawes Synthesis Straight Bars Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

10cc

Hi all this is my first post here......

I have a Dawes Synthesis - it also says Eighteen SIS on the upright tube. It has been garaged for years. It's not in bad nick - definitely needs two inner tubes and a saddle. Don't know about chain and cassette yet. Needs a good clean and polish but overall not I need bad nick.

No mudguards or "old fashioned pump" although the pump brackets are there. Anyone got any idea what it's worth if I spruce it up?

Thanks in advance......

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The answer is not a lot I’m afraid. The upside is for minimal cost you’ll have a good reliable bike that you’ll get plenty of use from. I’d also replace all the cables.
You'll need a few tools and it would be a good idea to get a track pump as well. If you need any advice as you go just ask. Please post a picture if you can, if not post a link to a photo sharing site.
Good luck.

Edit: Seems there were several versions of the Synthesis, which do you have, the mountain bike or hybrid?is there a frame sticker with “Reynolds” on it?

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@10cc welcome to our humble fishing forum :laugh:
The forum is set up so that you can't post any pictures till you made a few more post's , so think of a few more questions that you can ask and then you should be able to upload some pictures .
Give it a clean and ride it would be my advice

@10cc welcome to our humble fishing forum :laugh:
The forum is set up so that you can't post any pictures till you made a few more post's , so think of a few more questions that you can ask and then you should be able to upload some pictures .
Give it a clean and ride it would be my advice

Posts can be in any section, so you can rant in the cafe to clock up the posts and then return to this haven of sanity and post pictures :smile:

OP
OP

10cc

Hi all and thanks for your replies. I have been a mountain biker for the last 5 years so know a little about bikes and I have most of the tools required now.....

After doing roughly 25 miles per ride every two or three days since lockdown on the roads on my mountain bike (can't drive to go MTBing) I bit the bullet a couple of days ago and bought a used Merida Ride 200 for my road cycling.

I have had the Dawes a while - it was given to me FOC. I really wanted a feel for what I could advertise it for (to sell it) whilst at the same time spending as little as possible on it to make it safe and road worthy for a prospective buyer. Any funds I get for it will help offset the cost of the Merida! It definitely needs two inner tubes and a saddle and a damn good clean. I think I will fit the inner tubes and clean and see how it rides.

It has 27 gears (9 x 3), no suspension, straight handlebars and the tyres look like a cross between road and MTB.....So not sure what you would class the bike as. I will check the tubes for any other stickers (Reynolds etc) and report back. I will also report on the chain set etc......

Thanks very much for all your help.....and EltonFrog - I don't like cricket, I love it!

Top Bottom