Dawes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
If it is 531 it is worth saving. The stickers are oddly placed though.

I had to look twice, but your right, two Reynolds stickers is odd. The Celeste was 531 tubing though.

The forks look toast and the seat post may be a swine to remove, but for free I'd definitely have a crack at saving it. Shame I'm in Germany.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
@Cuchilo that would be great. I'm in Ireland until Friday so could arrange potential pick up at the weekend if it's still there

froze

Über Member
That particular Dawes used 531 tubing. I'm not sure of the value today but the last time I think I remember seeing one was about 5 or 6 years ago I think, and that one was going for $150 here in America, not sure what it actually sold for, they may go for less in England but I did find your bike being sold here: https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/dawes-celeste-vintage-road-bike/1183749616 just scan down below the first row of picts.

woodbutcher

Veteran
THe financial value, maybe. But the amusement value, and the CC "how do I unstick this seatpost" value ... priceless.
You could start a competition for the unsticking the seatpost. Falling into several categories, i.e. "The rudest" , "The silliest", The least effective", The most ingenious" and hopefully "The most effective" for example:smile:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The caustic soda method really works (someone on yacf did it a few years ago and did a blow-by-blow commentary) but it takes a few days and is, of course, quite dangerous because you have to use highly concentrated stuff for it to work. The paint wasn't damaged, though.

woodbutcher

Veteran
The caustic soda method really works (someone on yacf did it a few years ago and did a blow-by-blow commentary) but it takes a few days and is, of course, quite dangerous because you have to use highly concentrated stuff for it to work. The paint wasn't damaged, though.
Caustic soda is as you may know is sodium hydroxide and although it has no effect on iron or steel, it sure as hell does have an effect on aluminium in that it produces hydrogen gas on contact and degrades the aluminium, so if thats what the seatpost is made from l would not use it.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Well, that's kind of the point. The caustic soda degrades the hell out of the seatpost until there is no more seatpost to degrade. Problem gone.

No, I've never tried it myself.
Good news if you don't care about the seat post, not so much fun if you want to keep it !

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
All stripped except for bottom bracket and seatpost. Can't tell if seatpost is stuck yet as bolt won't budge and will need to be cut/drilled but hopeful as stem eventually came out.
Knowing the type of jobs i found this on i think it was stored in a shed for most of its life . There wasn't really alot of over growth on it from the garden considering the age .

Top Bottom