Day ride from Calais

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisM

I'm toying with the idea of a ride next year from Calais outwards...anyone suggest some nice areas/ride within a two hour radius at a easy 10mph pace.

I attend driving to Dover and getting a early ferry to Calais, staying in France for no more than 5 hours b4 making my way back home.

Any suggestions, maps please

cheers
ChrisM;)

nosherduke996

That sounds like a good day but it will take an hour to get to some good cycling through Calais.

OP
OP
ChrisM

ChrisM

nosherduke996 said:
That sounds like a good day but it will take an hour to get to some good cycling through Calais.

Maybe I'll stay a little longer then..any ideas of where to cycle to from Calais...I've never seen outside of th French Ports before, so don't know what to expect..

cheers

nosherduke996

There,s a nice little place called Saint Omar, a big market square full of French cafes and bars but not sure about cycling there as i have only driven there by the main road. There might be a quiet cycle route but i dont know it.
Just Google it and see what comes up, its about 26 miles from Calaise though.
The other alternative is to head west along the coastal road towards Boulogne, which follows the coast.
Or you could get the ferry to Boulogne and ride a bit further west. When are you thinking of going ?

Norm

Saint Omer is indeed delightful, although there's some lumpy bits in the scenery down that way which you might want to steer clear of.

If you aren't that hooked on Calais, you could get the boat to Dunkirk and cycle through to Belgium in a couple of hours (it's about 24 miles). Nothing there like Saint Omer as a destination but hey, cycling three countries in a day, that's pretty good going! ;)

OP
OP
ChrisM

ChrisM

Thinking of going about may next year.... got to get passport renewed first... not been outside of any of the French ports before.
I'll look St Omer up and will give the idea of Dunkirk to Belgium some thought, that sounds good.

If anyone is up for organizing a ride I'll be interested

cheers
Chris

yoyo

:sad:Last year we stayed overnight in St. Omer en route to Innsbruck. When we came out of our hotel in the morning we found that the boot, bonnet and nearby panels of our sports car had been deeply keyed.

It is a pretty place with good restaurants but I'm not sure we are in such a hurry back.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
What about catching the ferry (LD Line) from Dover to Bolougne instead ? Much quicker access to the countryside

Ivan Ardon

I've done Dover to Dunkirk, then into Belgium heading for De Panne on the coast - but the port at Dunkirk and up past Grande Synthe is full of industrial desolation. Past G-S is nice though.

Calais -> St Omer -> Agincourt -> Le Touquet -> Boulogne -> Calais would be a good ride, I'd take a couple of days though rather than try rushing it (it's a bit hilly in places and there can be strong headwinds).

tornadotony

Veteran
People seem to have not looked at your original intention of 2 hour ride from Calais. St Omer is a long way south. I've done a number of day trips from Calais a favourite being cycling towards Boulonge past Sangatte up to Cape Gris then inland to Guines where you can work your way back to Calais along the canal. I usually go through the Foret de Guines (fine for road bikes) to Adres then back along the canal.

donkey

I have stayed camping in Guines many times and cycled all around the nearby villages such as Ardres [good bike shop in Ardres] Cap Grise nez and cap Blanc nez but it is as already been said a bit lumpy.Lovely countryside though.

Top Bottom