Dazed, Heavy and Confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricky_lodge

Hi all, this is my first post and I am looking for some much needed help.

I am going to join the "Cycle To Work" scheme through my employer and I am looking for recommendations on my first bike purchase.

I'd like for it to be comfortable on a work commute but able to handle bike tracks on the weekend. I have decided to take this up as a hobby and I desperately need to lose weight. I'm a heavy guy around the 22st mark and so am looking for recommendations on makes or models of bikes that would suit my needs.

Thank you

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello ricky and welcome. I assume you're going to the max for your C2W bike, about a grand isn't it?
I'd also say go for for a steel frame, it'll be tough and arguably rides better than aluminium. There's plenty of choice out there. A 'touring' type bike might be more comfortable for you or perhaps a hybrid, the former will have drop bars and the latter flat. Bikes usually have a indicated weight limit but you should be OK.
Yes, your arse will get sore but you'll get used to it. You might need to change the stock saddle to something that better suits your behind, but beware the soft squishy ones aren't the best.
If you have an Evans near you try to get there and try a few bikes and see which type you prefer.
Anything else you want to know just ask. Good luck.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm biased be a use I own one and I think they are the best bikes in the world, but a tourer might be your best bet.
They are built stiffer and stronger to handle heavier weights (panniers etc) and most I'm sure have clearances for 32c at least tyres...mine has 38c. Ready supplied with mudguards for all those typically British summer days when it's pissing it down and a rear rack to carry the panniers or other bag with your lunchbox/pressed shirt and a relaxed ride position so your nose isn't scraping the front tyre like on a road bike.
Not much slower than a road bike and so far the only limitations on their offroading have been my bravery and the tyres big hit limitations.

View: https://youtu.be/yyb66bFyuds
I hope you'll excuse my language at 2mins in....some plebhead in a car was coming up the hill and I had to slow down. It's one of those hills where the brakes can usually be forgotten about till near the bottom. It spoilt my fun. I know. The cheek of it.

Last edited:

PlanB

Make sure the gearing is forgiving .... you are going to be up and down those cogs for a while.
Stick at it, and one day ... maybe next month, maybe the month after, when the wind is right, your legs are right, your breathing right, your energy up and weight down ... it will just click & you will fly with power.

Top Bottom