Deaf people must all be insomniacs too

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

..ok here I am unable to sleep again...4:45am and not a wink yet. Anyway I've been watching TV...and I got to wondering why deaf people seem to be deemed by the tv stations to only watch tv at this ungodly hour...I mean it must be so as every programme on all stations has a signer for deaf people through the early hours.

Why dont they have signers on during the daytime and evenings?? Surely deaf people need a signer then as well? Why shouldnt they have a signer on during the day as well? or did i miss something.

Jaded

Deaf people can't hear singers. That's why.

stevenb

I struggle to sleep during work days......but this morning was great because I'm not working. Mondays are normally ok...but as the working week goes on I start to sleep less due to stress.
I want a turbo trainer so I can unwind in the evenings.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Most of the stuff late at night, I think, is repeats of stuff, with signing added. I think the idea is that the deaf can record it, to watch in the day time.

To have an interpreter over every programme would be very expensive, and it would be a heck of a lot of work, and good interpreters are not all that numerous, I think. I guess subtitles are deemed good enough for the most part, and some really popular programmes get the special treatment.

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:
what's the point, with digital tv services offering subtitles on most mainstream channels (not to mention good old ceefax etc)?

Sign is a different thing. Sign language is just that, a language, with a grammar and everything. Subtitles are just the words of English, written up. For a deaf person, who has sign as their first language, it's much nicer to be looking at sign than reading subtitles. Although subtitles will do, having sign is nicer. I suppose the nearest analogy might be for a speaker of a language that used non-roman characters (Chinese, or arabic or something) to read the proper characters, as opposed to a phonetic rendition in English characters... Or it's like the difference between a really good, creative translation of foreign literature, and a clumsy translation done by a student with a phrase book, word by word...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
fair enough, although subtitles do fine for me when i can't decide whether to watch tv or listen to the hifi (and end up doing both).

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:
fair enough, although subtitles do fine for me when i can't decide whether to watch tv or listen to the hifi (and end up doing both).

But you weren't born deaf, and English is your first language... (Well, I assume...)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I used to enjoy watching the signed version of the Powerpuff girls, back when I had more spare time than I do now. The interpreter was quite lovely, and surprisingly expressive.

bobg

Über Member
I was at the Gay Pride festival in Nottingham last year where my daughters band was playing. She and all the other bands had been asked to supply the lyrics to the two signers who stood either side of the stage trying to keep up. You couldn't have heard the words anyway and the signers were getting more applause than the bands. There were a group of deaf people at the front who were horizonal with laughter, tears streaming down their faces.

Arch

Married to Night Train
John the Monkey said:
I used to enjoy watching the signed version of the Powerpuff girls, back when I had more spare time than I do now. The interpreter was quite lovely, and surprisingly expressive.

The expressiveness is all part of the language - a very stony faced interpreter wouldn't be much good...

longers

Legendary Member
My best mates parents are deaf and we've been at plenty of functions, weddings, christenings etc where his dad has stood up to make a speech.

Richard has always signed these where possible and Jeff usually tells a few jokes at the end.

The timing is priceless and they make a very good double act.

Top Bottom