Deafness and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycler

Some neighbours have asked me a question for which I have no real answer.

They want to use their bikes more but, as one of them is profoundly deaf, they are uneasy on the roads.
They have done the obvious thing and fitted mirrors and they have borrowed my copy of "Cyclecraft". Beyond that, are there any tips?

Norm

Beyond that, are there any tips?
Read one of the "headphone" threads and you'll soon see that the answer is that many (most?) cyclists are considered too reliant on their hearing and we should use observation more.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Some neighbours have asked me a question for which I have no real answer.

They want to use their bikes more but, as one of them is profoundly deaf, they are uneasy on the roads.
They have done the obvious thing and fitted mirrors and they have borrowed my copy of "Cyclecraft". Beyond that, are there any tips?

Are you able/willing to go out with them a few times to help them build up confidence? Are there quieter roads and cycle paths they could use until they feel more confident.

As Norm says observation is very important and they could practise that in quiet situations and then progress to the busier roads.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I'm deaf in my right ear and the left ones not that good so I use a mirror and I do mean use it I now think I’m more aware of traffic round me than the average cyclist that only look round when they need to.

sidevalve

Über Member
I often ride my old BSA m/cycle and, trust me, with a helmet on you don't hear anything much [unless it's a fast approaching road drill]. However as above I use my mirrors A LOT. With a little care they should be fine.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Instead of getting too reliant on mirrors, get them onto the habit of actually looking before doing anything (changing position, stopping, setting off, etc). Once the habit is ingrained, it's alot more useful than a mirror (it also gives people an indication that you're about to do something whereas a mirror does not.)

Norm

I've got a mirror on my road bikes and find it very useful.

However, it is critical, IMO, to remember that a mirror can never tell you when it is safe to make a manoeuvre, it should only be used to see when it is not safe to make a manoeuvre.

Im hard of hearing - but it makes no real difference - even when my hearing was good whilst it was useful to be able to hear traffic approaching from the rear I never used that as a sole indication - there is no substitute for looking behind

OP
OP
Recycler

Recycler

Usually profoundly deaf people are pretty used to dealing with traffic, what with having to cross the roads etc. I'd be a bit careful about patronising them, unless they've specifically asked for your help.

I certainly agree with the patronizing bit; it's difficult to know what to say sometimes and I have no real experience of deafness. However, they asked me about it rather then the other way round.

They are concerned about one particular stretch of road which is narrow, rural single carriageway, bendy and NSL with no pavements. I hate it, but it is difficult to avoid unless I miss out on several great rides. Negotiating it without hearing must be difficult; I find that I frequently hear traffic before it can be seen.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll wait and see if they raise it again when they've browsed through "Cyclecraft".

Top Bottom