deal extreme bar-end lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My bike toppled over (:rolleyes:) and a bar-end cap was busted. I thought to replace them with illuminated ones. I ordered a pair of these.

http://dx.com/p/bicycle-handlebar-b...light-black-white-2-x-ag10-pair-126548?item=9
sku_126548_1.jpg

They took a week-10 days to arrive. I think they are OK. They have a steady & flashing mode. I use the flashing mode normally, when I remember to turn them on. I cycle into work over some fairly ropey bumpy tarmac and they still work fine.

They're well made from machined aluminium and feel like they will last OK.

This is what they look like in the dark, with my main back lights on : -

lights 002 [640x480].JPG

lights 007 [640x480].JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must admit i keep looking at these , but have yet to buy a pr . do they not get blocked by your legs and knees as you pedal !

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
They may very well get obscured by me on the bike, but flashing away they can be seen from the side, and loads of angles from the rear.

I wouldn't bother unless you have bust a bar-end cap though !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It was on my last commute home of this year that I followed a cyclist that was using them. I must admit I was very impressed. So asked him what make. His were Tacx.

And as to them getting blocked by your legs/knees, that didn't look like a problem.
Very effective piece of kit.
Great for a dark commute.

I had the Tacx ones for a while. They were effective, (never used the novelty indicator feature TBH), but the problem with the Tacx ones is the fitment.

You fit a palstic sleeve into the bar that tightens with an allen key, then twist the plastic light unit into that. Aligning them to sit straight is a bit of a pain, but when you want to remove them it's nigh on impossible to get them out without pulling out the sleeve as well.

This means every time you remove them you have to go through the whole fitting process again, which got to be a pain and as such I returned mine to Wiggle.

The ones the OP bought look a better fitment though and might tempt me to give them another whirl at some stage.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had the Tacx ones for a while. They were effective, (never used the novelty indicator feature TBH), but the problem with the Tacx ones is the fitment.

You fit a palstic sleeve into the bar that tightens with an allen key, then twist the plastic light unit into that. Aligning them to sit straight is a bit of a pain, but when you want to remove them it's nigh on impossible to get them out without pulling out the sleeve as well.

This means every time you remove them you have to go through the whole fitting process again, which got to be a pain and as such I returned mine to Wiggle.

The ones the OP bought look a better fitment though and might tempt me to give them another whirl at some stage.

I don't think the ones I saw had an indicator feature. Or if they did then the cyclist wasn't using it. they were just static red. They also had forward facing white lights which I am not really bothered about.
The ones reviewed above look a much better, neater option.

I don't think the ones I saw had an indicator feature. Or if they did then the cyclist wasn't using it. they were just static red. They also had forward facing white lights which I am not really bothered about.
The ones reviewed above look a much better, neater option.
They do sound like the same ones I had, LINKY.

The indicator is on the back, (obviously D'oh!), and it works for a pre-set amount of flashes when you give the button a quick press. I described it as a novelty feature as drivers wouldn't be expecting to see a bike indicate, and therefore they are a bit gimmicky.

Agreed the OP's ones looks better. Far neater and better construction :wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They do sound like the same ones I had, LINKY.

The indicator is on the back, (obviously D'oh!), and it works for a pre-set amount of flashes when you give the button a quick press. I described it as a novelty feature as drivers wouldn't be expecting to see a bike indicate, and therefore they are a bit gimmicky.

Agreed the OP's ones looks better. Far neater and better construction :wacko:

Yup, they look like the ones I saw.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
All off topic posts have been removed.
This thread is for discussing the lights that have been reviewed by the OP.
If people want to discuss the legalities of lights on bikes then please start a separate thread.
Thanks.

Licramite

Über Member
blimey if you apply this across the board , that will thin the files.
but fair dooze, - read this quick before it's filtered out

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
These fitted fine - you just tighten the nut to expand the rubber bung, until the rubber bung is a snug fit in the bars. Obviously you can't tap it home with a mallet though. I had to tighten the nut a fair bit but they're in nice & snug now.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sadly not, but I could take one later.. There is some side-on visibility.. but 3M spoke reflectors provide most of that on my bike..

Top Bottom