Dealing with bad drivers at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Take it up with her. Be a man, and just say that you're only approaching her because you recognise her car, but you like to have a little more room when cycling. Ask that she gives you a little more room - if she's rude, continues to drive dangerously or threateningly, take it up with HR and make sure to point out that you had politely asked in the first instance and that you feel uncomfortable commuting to work when a colleague is acting inappropriately on the same route.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Kaipaith said:
Take it up with her. Be a man, and just say that you're only approaching her because you recognise her car, but you like to have a little more room when cycling. Ask that she gives you a little more room - if she's rude, continues to drive dangerously or threateningly, take it up with HR and make sure to point out that you had politely asked in the first instance and that you feel uncomfortable commuting to work when a colleague is acting inappropriately on the same route.
I would probably do this but outside of work initially.

If it didn't work then I would be tempted to ride in on an old bike and then when she does the left turn in to the works carpark, having cut me up, I would then scream and throw myself on the bonnet. (Actually I wouldn't but it would be so tempting to do it for the sick pay, insurance payout, her getting into trouble at work, etc;))

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
I think this is the approach I'm tempted to take. Knowing the witches circle she works in, its worth handling carefully. Other thing I forgot to mention is that my camera is usually running. I've got the trying to turn left incident captured, but unfortunately batteries had gone on the second one so haven't got that. At least if (when) I do say something, there is proof if she does try to play the innocent card.

tdr1nka said:
Do not sit on this, get it out in the open, but do it out of the office.
Be calm, firm and do it ASAP.
I'd go with the theory that she's not even noticed or not registered you as a colleague, so be prepared for some bluster and confusion on her part.

Plax

Guru
I was actually thinking about this today. There is one guy where I work that is quite bad - he has twice overtaken me on the same bend and once only just about got in before hitting an oncoming car. On the straights he passes fairly close and at speed. He even pisses me off when I'm driving - several times he has pulled out of the same exit in front of me causing me to have to brake (most people would wait) and then speeds off into the distance in excess of the speed limit (I know this as I drive to the speed limit so he must be going a good 10mph faster to get away so fast).
I have thought about reporting him, but I think work would probably not take any notice.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
domd1979 said:
I think this is the approach I'm tempted to take. Knowing the witches circle she works in, its worth handling carefully. Other thing I forgot to mention is that my camera is usually running. I've got the trying to turn left incident captured, but unfortunately batteries had gone on the second one so haven't got that. At least if (when) I do say something, there is proof if she does try to play the innocent card.

Is there anyone impartial at work you could show the vid to and get an 'unbiased' opinion from?
Otherwise I'd show here the vid and just explain that although this sort of driving might not seem bad to her but if she were in your position, she would not be happy either.
Maybe ask her how she'd feel if she was in your position but in her car and you were her, in a truck making the same turn?

Be polite but firm, as others have said. It's likely that she doesn't even know she's done anything wrong (scary, I know) and will change her behaviour when she realises.
Slightly OT, but I always dreamed of being carved up on the bike on the way to work and then seeing the same car driver when I was at work in a 44 tonne six - axle artic. "Ha! Not so funny now, is it?" :wacko:

frog

I have thought about reporting him, but I think work would probably not take any notice.

If he's doing on the roads then it's got nothing to do with work.

Pick up phone: Police, I see this bloke on a regular basis always comes screaming past me, like I'm standing still, and weaving all over the road. His reg is . . .

The police are hardly going to enter into an argument with him which runs 'But she says . . '. They'll have a look for themselves and act accordingly, taking all the credit for the detection and capture in the process :wacko:

Jaded

frog said:
If he's doing on the roads then it's got nothing to do with work.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It depends on the nature of the business.

For example - what if she works for a Driving School.

Similarly one employee knocking another off his bike could create quite a lot of interest that the company would not want. Even as far as bringing the company into disrepute...

Friendly and polite, and in the canteen or the kitchen. Ask her if she ever sees any cyclists on her way to work, what she thinks of them etc. Then when she has incriminated herself, tell her what she's doing wrong.

frog

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It depends on the nature of the business.

Very true!

If you were driving a company vehicle with the name and phone number on it then you'd be pretty stupid to drive badly in it. However, in a private car you believe you have the luxury of no one knowing who you are.

We've had riders on bikes cut up pretty badly on the narrow, twisty, country lane which leads to our factory by members of staff in cars. HR just don't want to know. Apart from that a chat with the police is going to be much more effective than one with HR.

I've been threatened at least 5 times by a bloke in my department with being knocked off my bike by him in his car. The last two were in front of my manager and an office with 13 witness in it. I asked my manager what he was going to do about it and I got a shrug of the shoulders.

I sit next to a bloke who eats with his mouth open and sounds like a drain. The chap over the partition complained about him and the noisey eater got moved - closer to me. ;):biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Polite and friendly, really don't show any of your anger at all. Just put across how you felt endangered, and that you'd be very grateful if she would give you a bit more space/care. Also that you're sure she didn't realise and didn't mean it.

Anything else will almost certainly degenerate into nastiness on her part, and possibly on yours as well. Keep back any mention of the video in case it goes wrong, because her knowing you video all the time is the perfect way to nip in the bud any further incidents. If she doesn't realise what she did, and insists she did nothing wrong, I might then also mention the video.

frog

frog, your circumstances don't sound very nice at all.

They aren't but I can turn it around sometimes ;)

It's been a long time since the last threat and we haven't spoken much since. I pointed out to him if anything happens to me his name is right at the top of my shoot list, a copy of which my wife has at home. I got a very smug 'Prove it' from him. I asked him if he really thought the 13 people in the office would back him up especially when the police remind them that not reporting a crime is a crime in itself and how they'd crumble once in the interview room. We both looked at the really nice bloke in the office, who wouldn't say boo to a goose, and he went bright red. ;)

Recently he wanted a favour so the conversations went like this:

'Cliff, me ol' mucker, I need a favour'

'Lets get one thing clear. You'll never, ever, be a friend of mine. So, cut the crap and you just tell me what you want.'

'Ah, right. Perhaps another time then?'

If I had done him the favour it would have saved him about £150 :laugh::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom