Dear Audax Agony Aunt: 600km Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
How about a figure of 8 from home rather than a big loop. It leaves you closer to home if you decide to pull the plug. It also leaves you in areas you are more likely to know.
I think (of course it's a personal thing) that both the advantages you list, Steve, are actually disadvantages. Makes it easier (and therefore more likely) to pull the plug and doesn't take advantage of the long distance to take new roads / visit new areas.
both rides have the advantage of not having routes that pass close to home, so there’ll be less impetus to pack!
I line up with David: "[good] that there's a purpose and bits to visit" so if you go 'DIY', go somewhere. Look for a potentially hospitable friend or relative 250k away (by a route which would be nice to ride) and then start at 4am, take a roundabout way there (350k), kip for as many hours as your speed will allow, and then finish it off in time for a drink before closing time. Of course your commitment to your (understanding) host would be added motivation for that third 100.
For a 600 one has 42 hours (@14.3kph). Two long days and a long(ish) stop/sleep:
@16kph: 18:45 x 2 + 4+ hours
@17kph: 17:39 x 2 + 6+ hours
@18kph: 16:40 x 2 + 8+ hours
@19kph: 15:46 x 2 + 10+ hours
You offer me the parameters and I will happily suggest a route.
I've knocked this one up quickly: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29837420?beta=false
It's based on a 200 I did down to Penzance and using some of the lines of @Ian H 's KSW600 and my LEJOG line from Holsworthy to Bridgwater. Diverts to the YH near Redruth (Illogan) at a convenient 330km.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
In 2017, I did a DIY 600, the idea of which was basically to ride to Germany and back in a weekend, starting in Dunkerque.

Having a ‘narrative’ like that gives the ride some purpose beyond merely ticking off the miles. Also I was riding in new (to me) territory, so none of the stale feelings you can get from riding on overfamiliar home roads. These kind of factors are excellent for motivation.

I had originally planned to do it solo but managed to rope in a couple of friends to come along for the adventure and I’m very glad I did - there were times where I would have found it hard to carry on if riding solo.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A perm can be a good choice as you already have a well designed route with known places you'll be able to get food as you go round. When I've done DIY 600's I have often booked a cheap Premier Inn at around the 330km mark. I book in, grab something to eat, then head out on a 50km loop back to the hotel. Then shower, sleep, with alarm set for a pre dawn start for the second day of 220km or so. Understand if you want to keep costs down though.

Top Bottom