Dear sir

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
To the red light jumper I berated last night for running the red at the junction of Lower Granton Road and Trinity Crescent,

I was sitting in the ASL at the front of a queue of traffic on my well-lit tourer when you sailed through against oncoming traffic on your black bike in your black clothes with a black helmet and no lights. You'll remember me because I caught up with you a couple of minutes later and told you in no uncertain terms that you shouldn't run a red light.

You proceeded to sit on my offside, which I don't like at the best of times, and laugh at me for being angry. The short explanation for my anger, as I told you at the time, is that drivers will not remember the well-lit bike obeying the traffic regulations. They will remember the inconsiderate cyclist in stealth mode going through on a red in the face of oncoming vehicles. Next time I suffer abuse from frustrated drivers who accuse all cyclists of being dangerous muppets who dress like ninjas and run red lights it will partially be because of the experiences they have had with thoughtless peabrains like you.

I have a degree of understanding and sympathy for the cyclists who head off just before their light turns green; those who ignore an empty pedestrian crossing when there is no one else around; and, indeed, those who find themselves stuck at lights that refuse to acknowledge their presence. However, to ride straight into oncoming traffic negotiating a blind dogleg during poor light conditions is foolhardy at best and downright idiotic at worst.

What I failed to mention to you at the time, as I had somewhere to be and didn't want to hang around at your pace, was that your personal safety would be much better served by observing the rules of the road as they apply to bicycles and fitting some lights to your bike than it is by the plastic hat you had perched on the top of your head.

Hope that helps.

Sam

J.Y.Kelly

To the red light jumper I berated last night for running the red at the junction of Lower Granton Road and Trinity Crescent,

I was sitting in the ASL at the front of a queue of traffic on my well-lit tourer when you sailed through against oncoming traffic on your black bike in your black clothes with a black helmet and no lights. You'll remember me because I caught up with you a couple of minutes later and told you in no uncertain terms that you shouldn't run a red light.

You proceeded to sit on my offside, which I don't like at the best of times, and laugh at me for being angry. The short explanation for my anger, as I told you at the time, is that drivers will not remember the well-lit bike obeying the traffic regulations. They will remember the inconsiderate cyclist in stealth mode going through on a red in the face of oncoming vehicles. Next time I suffer abuse from frustrated drivers who accuse all cyclists of being dangerous muppets who dress like ninjas and run red lights it will partially be because of the experiences they have had with thoughtless peabrains like you.

I have a degree of understanding and sympathy for the cyclists who head off just before their light turns green; those who ignore an empty pedestrian crossing when there is no one else around; and, indeed, those who find themselves stuck at lights that refuse to acknowledge their presence. However, to ride straight into oncoming traffic negotiating a blind dogleg during poor light conditions is foolhardy at best and downright idiotic at worst.

What I failed to mention to you at the time, as I had somewhere to be and didn't want to hang around at your pace, was that your personal safety would be much better served by observing the rules of the road as they apply to bicycles and fitting some lights to your bike than it is by the plastic hat you had perched on the top of your head.

Hope that helps.

Sam

You slept on it and you're still angry?
Calm down dear, he's only a d*ck-head!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Not at all. There is, however, a remote chance that he reads the board and might benefit from a slightly more detailed explanation. He did attempt to engage me in conversation about it, after all.

Sam

I can completely sympathise and understand your frustration. Personally, I don't get involved with RLJrs and let them get on with it- I'm not there to police the roads and Darwin'll no doubt get him eventually.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I can completely sympathise and understand your frustration. Personally, I don't get involved with RLJrs and let them get on with it- I'm not there to poice the roads and Darwin'll no doubt get him eventually.

What annoys me right now in Edinburgh is that there seem to be more RLJ-ers and high-speed, reckless pavement cyclists who're kitted out in all the expensive gear, lights and reflectives jumping the lights than unlit ninjas on BSOs doing it.

Plonkers.

J.Y.Kelly

To be honest, these people have no respect for others and are probably just as thoughtless in every aspect of their lives. Just imagine what they would be like behind the steering wheel of a car/van/lorry/coach!
They are so important in their own mind that their own journey is the only one that matters, and everyone elso on the road is there simply to wind them up.
Me? I'd leave a few minutes earlier so I wasn't under so much pressure to get to my all important destination on time.

If you time it wrong at that junction you are left sitting for ages, which can be frustrating but it certainly isn't one to be RLJing, the visibility is terrible as you know Sam (hence the oneway working) and no lights, etc just compounds things!

What I hate are the lights outside the Morrison's at the other side of Granton (ironically they are green in the picture) There set up to default to the supermarket access instead of the main road (even just after mid night on a Sunday when the shop has been closed for over 5 hours) and you get lots of folk, particularly motorists jumping them. I'm not surprised that the red light on the secondary signal head has worn out its on red 90% of the time!

ferret fur

here set up to default to the supermarket access instead of the main road (even just after mid night on a Sunday when the shop has been closed for over 5 hours

Edinburgh council seems to do this deliberately. I've no idea why. During off peak periods the minor roads are given priority over the major routes to a ludicrous extent. I have to cycle through Costorphine at night & the West bound St John's Road lights at the junction with Clermiston Road has a stupidly short green phase and defaults to red at any opportunity.

You proceeded to sit on my offside, which I don't like at the best of times,

I'm curious

Why not?

edit...nevermind...I thought you meant after you'd caught up with him and you were both waiting, re-reading I see you may mean whilst moving, that i understand

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I'm curious

Why not?

edit...nevermind...I thought you meant after you'd caught up with him and you were both waiting, re-reading I see you may mean whilst moving, that i understand

We were moving, yes, which made it worse.

I wouldn't express my irritation on this issue to a passing stranger but people I like enough to ride with are always asked not to ride on my outside. I lost my right eye when I was a baby and have a blind spot the size of Belgium. There are scant few people I trust to ride on my outside without forgetting that I can't see them there.

Sam

Bird Brain

To be honest, these people have no respect for others and are probably just as thoughtless in every aspect of their lives. Just imagine what they would be like behind the steering wheel of a car/van/lorry/coach!
They are so important in their own mind that their own journey is the only one that matters, and everyone elso on the road is there simply to wind them up.
Me? I'd leave a few minutes earlier so I wasn't under so much pressure to get to my all important destination on time.
+1

fimm

Veteran
... I lost my right eye when I was a baby and have a blind spot the size of Belgium.

Off Topic, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but how do you cope with looking back? I ask because I was born with much worse vision in my right eye than my left - most of the time I don't notice it but it is a problem when looking over my right shoulder... (I HATE pulling out of slip roads (in a car) because of having to make that final check over your shoulder).

Top Bottom