Death wish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
John Ponting said:
I can almost appreciate the drivers response.

There is no requirement to have two reversing lights and many smaller cars are made with only one e.g. my wife's Micra has 1 reversing light and 1 high intensity red light fitted.

Still it would be nicer for him to have said "Oh, there is only one reversing light, but thanks..."

I pointed out what seemed like a faulty rear light (or it might have been headlamp) on a parked up car (it was dropping somene off at a house), and the owner (an oldish chap) said it was made that way and only required to have the one when stopped or something - I was a bit dubious at the time, I have no idea if it's true, but he was at least polite. It's a while ago, and I can't remember the details now...

But yes, there seem to be a lot of faulty lights about, I noticed last year. Andy's probably right that you notice headlamps and rear lights more at this time of year, but brake lights are used just the same all the year round and I'm sure there are more faulty ones of those about these days (by which I mean, in the last couple of years as opposed to prior to that...)

Sometimes, if I get a chance, I'll mention it, but if the car looked chavvy, or had cut me up I might not, partly out of self defence, and partly in the hope that the person who does tell them is a policeman...:blush:

I have an e-mail of complaint sent to the PCO about 6 months ago when a black cabbie squeezed me off the road (thank f*ck I can bunnyhop otherwise the curb would have taken my wheels out from underneath me), when I complained vociferously he offered to "do the job properly next time I see you"

I wasn't very happy with the standard fob off reply I recieved blah blah blah, we can't do anything, we might possibly at some stage perhaps-maybe-time-permitting-weather-permitting-acts-of-god-permitting mention to the driver that a complaint has been made, blah blah blah... So I sent my original mail again. And again. each time I recieved the fob off reply. Until I had sent it 23times, my 24th reply was that if I return the mail again they would consider me a spammer and consider prosecution!!!

I totally chickened out, but oh how much did I want to send that message one last time!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
If I get a chance, I politely inform drivers of malfunctioning brake or rear lights. The opportunity is there more often than you might think - stopped at traffic lights etc. (Yes, I DO stop!). I haven't kept count, but I'd guess this happens roughly 100 times a year; quite often two or more in the same queue, and I hardly ever have an adverse response. Try it. It might just help a little in getting cyclists more respect from drivers in general.

cupoftea

Yeah but their cool!

I cycle though Stratford and up Leytonston High Rd and I get loads of nighttime ninja's, cycling the wrong way using the cycle lane

Oh well

Top Bottom