Decathlon bikes-thoughts anyone?

Discussion in 'Shopping, Services, Offers and Reviews' started by night cycler, 4 Feb 2018.

1. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

Have you looked at Giant? the Giant shop in Sheffield has a very good reputation and they do a lot of hybrids as well.
    Or look at what Evans have, you can test ride them there as well. Look under flat barred hybrid or sports hybrid.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2018
    night cycler likes this.
  2. They do a Triban 520, with flat bars.

3. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

@night cycler Come to London by train and check out the Giant Comax @ianrauk has for sale in the classifieds. £600 I think

4. nickAKA

nickAKA Active Member

Can't speak highly enough of the Triban 560 CF, dunno if it's still got the £100 off but it's excellent value at that £700 price point. The only thing you should definitely change on it (IMO) is the saddle but apart from that it's great as sold. As Racing Roadkill says the medium frame is fine at 5'10", I put a longer (better) stem on mine as I wanted to be less upright when on the hoods and I find it very comfortable.

Cycleops likes this.
  5. Dec66

Dec66 Veteran

I got a Triban 500 SE a few years back. At the time, the best £350 I'd ever spent.

Still riding it and still enjoying it, though it now wears a Charge Spoon saddle, Shimano R501's (replacing the original wheels as the rear rim split), Vittoria Rubino Pros replacing the Hutchinson Equinox II's (nothing wrong with them, they just wore out), and an 11-28 cassette instead of the original 12-25.

Having said all that, I bought a Cube Peleton from Chain Reaction Cycles the year after for £389, and I love that just as much.

nickAKA and Racing roadkill like this.
  6. 4EE9360A-BDAD-4CC2-8EAD-5E6AB551860F.jpeg
    That’s the 560 CF up at Newlands Corner

A41118B6-8EC7-4A2D-9711-A23D362A6AEC.jpeg

At the top of Leith Hill.

BFEB3452-1043-4784-B7EC-BA5850EB8BB3.jpeg

Up at Ranmore Common ( via White down Lane:eek:)

8132FBD5-49DA-4EAD-BC24-5C80A896F0E4.jpeg

And up at the top of Box Hill, last weekend.
    So it’s a good climbing bike as well:okay:

Katherine and nickAKA like this.
  7. 609C893C-DF27-4417-9801-90A7976F098E.jpeg

And that’s the Triban 520 at Richmond Park during the 2015 Ride London 100. So they are good Sportive bikes as well:okay:

8. CharlieB

CharlieB Junior Walker and the Allstars

I'm just looking at a 500 as an option for a mini tour coming up in September. At the moment none of the 4 bikes I have are suitable.
    I was going to trawl eBay for a s/h frame and build something, but the practicalities of personally inspecting each possibility could take months. So this may be the simpler option, as I also have some spare upgrade components I can use.
    Opinions, anyone? Tour is fairly rolling, and averaging 80-100miles/day over seven days.

9. The 540 is well worth the extra coin.

10. nickAKA

nickAKA Active Member

They're doing a major rebranding at the end of the year so I'm thinking of holding out on a purchase of an 'upgrade' to see what happens with their existing model lines as the new models are introduced. Hoping there will be a few bargains to be had at the end of summer on the higher-end tribans...

11. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

There's a £240 Ridley in the classifieds

User19783 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice