Decathlon bikes-thoughts anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I got a Triban 500 SE a few years back. At the time, the best £350 I'd ever spent.

Still riding it and still enjoying it, though it now wears a Charge Spoon saddle, Shimano R501's (replacing the original wheels as the rear rim split), Vittoria Rubino Pros replacing the Hutchinson Equinox II's (nothing wrong with them, they just wore out), and an 11-28 cassette instead of the original 12-25.

Having said all that, I bought a Cube Peleton from Chain Reaction Cycles the year after for £389, and I love that just as much.

4EE9360A-BDAD-4CC2-8EAD-5E6AB551860F.jpeg

That’s the 560 CF up at Newlands Corner

A41118B6-8EC7-4A2D-9711-A23D362A6AEC.jpeg

At the top of Leith Hill.

BFEB3452-1043-4784-B7EC-BA5850EB8BB3.jpeg

Up at Ranmore Common ( via White down Lane:eek:)

8132FBD5-49DA-4EAD-BC24-5C80A896F0E4.jpeg

And up at the top of Box Hill, last weekend.
So it’s a good climbing bike as well:okay:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I'm just looking at a 500 as an option for a mini tour coming up in September. At the moment none of the 4 bikes I have are suitable.
I was going to trawl eBay for a s/h frame and build something, but the practicalities of personally inspecting each possibility could take months. So this may be the simpler option, as I also have some spare upgrade components I can use.
Opinions, anyone? Tour is fairly rolling, and averaging 80-100miles/day over seven days.

I'm just looking at a 500 as an option for a mini tour coming up in September. At the moment none of the 4 bikes I have are suitable.
I was going to trawl eBay for a s/h frame and build something, but the practicalities of personally inspecting each possibility could take months. So this may be the simpler option, as I also have some spare upgrade components I can use.
Opinions, anyone? Tour is fairly rolling, and averaging 80-100miles/day over seven days.
The 540 is well worth the extra coin.

nickAKA

Über Member
They're doing a major rebranding at the end of the year so I'm thinking of holding out on a purchase of an 'upgrade' to see what happens with their existing model lines as the new models are introduced. Hoping there will be a few bargains to be had at the end of summer on the higher-end tribans...

vickster

Legendary Member
There's a £240 Ridley in the classifieds

mgs315

Ooh. I’ve only just bought a Giant TCR otherwise I’d give that 920 a good look at.

Having said that I’ve spent this week away for work and stuck the trusty Triban 500 away in the back of the van and I must admit I’m still impressed by it. It’s a tad on the heavy side (offset with the triple chain set) to what I’m used to but it’s still a damn good bike for £250. Not to mention because it’s cheap I don’t mind ragging it on cobbles and gravel which although it only fits 25s is so much fun I think I need to get a CX bike. The fact it’s a triple makes me realise just how versatile that 39 middle ring is too. As long as it stays below about 7-8% I don’t touch the left lever..

nickAKA

Über Member
I'm pleased I decided on the Triban 540 from De cathlon-nice bike.

12 months on my 560CF continues to impress; I upgraded the wheels to fulcrum racing 3 and it was like a new bike. Various other upgrades probably took the best part of a kg off the weight... well worth doing.

12 months on my 560CF continues to impress; I upgraded the wheels to fulcrum racing 3 and it was like a new bike. Various other upgrades probably took the best part of a kg off the weight... well worth doing.
Unfortunately, some scumbag stole my 560 CF, but I agree, that bike was pretty astonishing, given the price.

Top Bottom