Decathlon B'twin 500 pannier bags - any experience with?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Look ok, bit like a bin bag similar to ortlieb. Personally I'd prefer something with at least one outer pocket for accessing stuff like purse, phone, specs

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Purse, phone, keys usually go in a bar bag, so lack of pockets not so much of an issue. It's more to take jacket, pack-up, maps, the odd load of groceries...

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Quite a lot of one-star reviews, largely complaining about lack of waterproofness.

Mmmm, waterproofness (or lack thereof) isn't really a factor for me. And it's nothing a few plastic bags won't solve if I do get caught out in the rain.

As they'll only be for occasional use, no point going ultra spendy. Likewise, I don't want el-cheapos because they will need to take a fair bit of punishment nonetheless.

Was hoping someone on here would have practical experience.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mmmm, waterproofness (or lack thereof) isn't really a factor for me. And it's nothing a few plastic bags won't solve if I do get caught out in the rain.

As they'll only be for occasional use, no point going ultra spendy. Likewise, I don't want el-cheapos because they will need to take a fair bit of punishment nonetheless.

Was hoping someone on here would have practical experience.
There are over 400 reviews on the website :okay:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
They seem to be pretty marmite-ish on the reviews... :scratch:

Am not in a rush to buy, so willing to explore all the options e.g. spend a bit more, get better quality ones secondhand...

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Well, I bought one yesterday - in blue as it looked kinda smart on the bike. For the sort of use I'm intending, I couldn't justify spending more right now. As I've discovered, with a junior bike luggage size and shape is more critical than might otherwise be the case; this one seems to be a good balance between fit and capacity.

FWIW, it's pretty obvious that it wouldn't withstand a deluge or a longer ride in steady rain. Showerproof is probably a much more accurate description, but as said upthread, it's not a factor for me. For someone who wanted waterproof pannier bags, they'd do better looking elsewhere.

Will probably post a review once I've had some mileage out of this one.

Top Bottom