Decent bike bag recommendation to stop moisture build up in shed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Riverman

Guru
Hi guys,

I'm currently having to store my regular hack in a brick built shed that's absolutely prone to moisture build up. Sadly the bike (it's cheapo anyway) has rusted a bit because of this.

I thought about storing the bike in a bag but given the frequency I use it, I thought it wouldn't really be practical. However do you know of any bags that would be more suited to this? Say that aren't too tight a fit or likely to get torn to shreds with regular use? It's an 18" frame mountain bike.

Only I'm thinking about buying a more expensive one to replace it today and want to avoid this happening again. I still think it might be a bit impractical but hey ho.
 
Maybe get some sica gel to help with the moisture?
 

alicat

Squire
Location
Staffs
I wouldn't store the bike in a bag. It just gives the moisture a more concentrate place to act in. I've seen condensation traps in use. They can be emptied regularly even so often and that won't be a pain to do if you are are using the bike regularly. Getting some airflow in the shed will help too.

Personally I wouldn't subject another bike to the same treatment until you've fixed the problem.
 

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I wouldn't store the bike in a bag. It just gives the moisture a more concentrate place to act in. I've seen condensation traps in use. They can be emptied regularly even so often and that won't be a pain to do if you are are using the bike regularly. Getting some airflow in the shed will help too.

Personally I wouldn't subject another bike to the same treatment until you've fixed the problem.

agree with this, the air in the bag will still be same damp air, the bag will only exacerbate the problem. either store the bike elsewhere or do a full tanking of the brick shed, it either has no, or a failed damp course.

a cheaper alternative is to store several kilo's of cat litter or rice in the shed to "suck" the moisture out of the air and change it regularly:laugh:
 

Gwylan

Guru
Location
All at sea⛵
Wonder where you are that has been damp recently

Have you got electricity? If yes get a dehumidifier.
If not, get a solar panel, cheap 12v battery and a dehumidifier.
Won't need to be huge, if you can introduce a bit of weather proofing to the shed.
 
Vent the shed.
Treat the frame with wax or something, inside and out.
Ensure BB shell can drain.
Ensure chainstsys can drain. You may have to tip the bike up.
 

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Wonder where you are that has been damp recently

on jowwy's lawn:laugh:
 
OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Just looking back at this post which must have made me look a bit thick but there is no way to stop the damp problem unfortunately without spending quite a bit of money. And although I own the property (it's leasehold) I am limited as to what I can do. If only I owned the ground it rests upon.

Worse still, this brick built shed (well it's actually partially concrete) is underneath an outdoor concrete staircase which is where a lot of the moisture seems to be getting through. I thought about maybe trying to line the inside of the shed with a waterproof membrane but didn't feel comfortable in allowing so much moisture to build up within the concrete.

So beyond knocking out a load of brickwork, which I would have to get permission for and almost certainly would be refused, the only solution which seemed viable was using relatively airtight bags to store the bikes in.

However in the end I just gave up. I store my bikes indoors. It's not ideal (I mean, it's a flat) but at least they don't get destroyed.

But I think I will move soon. The situation is getting ridiculous as I have five (about to be six) bikes in my flat. That said three are folding bikes. Oh and also three partially destroyed bikes in the shed.

It's kinda ironic too that I have an off-road parking space. I don't or rather can't drive but also thought about buying a car just to store the bikes in.
 
Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
Go to your local bed shop and ask for one of the plastic bags their mattresses come wrapped in. Theyll be only too glad to get shot of one.

Roll the bike in, roll the end up tight and eeal it with a couple of bulldog clips. When I split with Mrs D Mk1 I bought a little 2 bed cottage with no outside storage and I kept a couple of bikes outdoors in mattress bags for 3 years and it kept them spangly fresh.
 
OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Go to your local bed shop and ask for one of the plastic bags their mattresses come wrapped in. Theyll be only too glad to get shot of one.

Roll the bike in, roll the end up tight and eeal it with a couple of bulldog clips. When I split with Mrs D Mk1 I bought a little 2 bed cottage with no outside storage and I kept a couple of bikes outdoors in mattress bags for 3 years and it kept them spangly fresh.

Yeah, longer term storage I should have just done that. I was being too picky about being able to use the bikes as and when I wanted, without the faff of having to deal with something like that. Fortunately the ones that got damaged were pretty crap anyway.
 

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Location
Inside my skull
Go to your local bed shop and ask for one of the plastic bags their mattresses come wrapped in. Theyll be only too glad to get shot of one.

Roll the bike in, roll the end up tight and eeal it with a couple of bulldog clips. When I split with Mrs D Mk1 I bought a little 2 bed cottage with no outside storage and I kept a couple of bikes outdoors in mattress bags for 3 years and it kept them spangly fresh.

And were the bikes good for sleeping on, once you got them back out?
 
OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
This was brand new and I just left it in there. A lot of it is surface rust but you see what I mean. I'm sure it can be safed. I never liked it though so I'm not fussed.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260906_173731.jpg
    IMG_20260906_173731.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20260906_173755.jpg
    IMG_20260906_173755.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20260906_173921.jpg
    IMG_20260906_173921.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20260906_173931.jpg
    IMG_20260906_173931.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
Top Bottom