Decent cycle shop in or near altrincham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Luiji07

Can anyone recommend decent bike shop in the altrincham area or around there - dont mind little drive out if nothing close by

I am wanting advice on decent saddle with chance to try them out for comfort (please do recommend Halfords as they have been useless)
also want to have a look at some second hand bikes - but first thing is the saddle other bike can wait if i cant get both in same place

oh and looking to commute and noted few bikes with bags attached to the side - I do not have modern bike just basic raleigh mountain bike
are these bags pretty light weight and suitable for this type of bike or am i better off with ruck sack?

ta in advance :smile:

zoxed

Über Member
I have not been there but http://www.bicycledoctor.co.uk/ in Rusholme have a good reputation.

Thelma

I went to Bicycle Doctor and I thought they were a bit snotty tbh. Might be because I'm a fat girl rather than a lycra-clad bloke though...

I went to Bicycle Doctor and I thought they were a bit snotty tbh. Might be because I'm a fat girl rather than a lycra-clad bloke though...

Bike shops are usually snotty, perhaps especially if you are a girl. I've felt that in most places actually, currently the only spot not yet on the 'snotty' list is Warlands in Oxford. Of bike shops I wouldn't have expected Bicycle Doctor to be picky about you not being a roadie (yet...?) as they have a good selection of non-racers. It does depend who serves you though!

Thelma

There's also Threadgold's in Wythenshawe. Very nice and friendly, although I'm too inexperienced yet to comment on what they actually sell! Given its location, I'd expect it not to be particularly expensive in there.

potsy

Rambler
There's also Threadgold's in Wythenshawe. Very nice and friendly, although I'm too inexperienced yet to comment on what they actually sell! Given its location, I'd expect it not to be particularly expensive in there.

Is that still going? I remember buying a bar-end mirror in there last year, sure I heard he was shutting down.
You could try the Bike Shak in Alty, but it's only a small shop so doubt there would be a massive amount of choice, what they have tends to be quite decent/expensive but the staff are friendly enough.

OP
OP
L

Luiji07

Thanks for your suggestions

I went to Bicycle doctor in Rusholme and found them so rude I ended up walking away with nothing so I will try threadgolds next

I have put a seperate thread with regards to Bicyle doctor

Fiona N

Veteran
Thanks for your suggestions

I went to Bicycle doctor in Rusholme and found them so rude I ended up walking away with nothing so I will try threadgolds next

Sorry I missed your original query but, on my experience, it's one particular bloke at Bicycle Doctor who's the problem. I've been there a few times - I bought my bike trailer from them - and a couple of times have had problems with a really disinterested guy. Luckily the first time was when I'd rung about the trailer so I could ask to be passed on to 'Mike' or whoever it was that I spoke to. You wonder why they keep on someone who's so bad for business (unless he owns the place) - I mean if he's good at something like wheel building why don't they keep him out of the customers' way :smile:

Top Bottom