Decent riding near Silverstone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul H LFC

Regular
Going the moto GP for the weekend, I have no interest in motorsport but it's an experience, may take my road bike and get s couple of morning rides in, what's the general area like? Flat or..
Any must ride bits that will help me put a route together would be much appreciated I.e biggest climb etc

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A few miles north of Northampton has a few decent hills. There's a couple of Cat 4's to be found. The Bringtons and Chapel Brampton area is quite lumpy, and, if you like such stuff, Althorpe House is in the area.

If you like, you can check out a couple of my routes
You can start this one at Salcey Forest. 50 miles http://www.strava.com/activities/62752258
My New Years Day ride.40 miles http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/PeteXXX/6ahj4q15oljuoikb

On the Strava route, Whiston & Cogenhoe is the hilliest section.

Have fun :smile:

robjh

Legendary Member
Depends how far you want to go, but on the other side of Banbury you've got some good hills on the last spur of the Cotswolds - look for the village of Edgehill and you can't go wrong. However, that's about 25 miles away.
Other than that, the countryside just north of Silverstone is nice cycling country, gently lumpy and lots of quiet roads. I rode through there earlier this year but no specific recommendations.

OP
OP
P

Paul H LFC

Regular
I'll check it out on Garmin maps, I want to ride out from where im staying to avoid the.ques coming back in, the length of the ride depends on what time the racing starts/I wake up so the longer I have the better

Head south through whittlebury, cross the A422 and ride around in the area between Milton Keynes and Buckingham. Further round you have the brickhills and Woburn which is good too. You could circle through cranfield, Olney, salcey forest and towcester and back to Silverstone.

Nice rolling roads with a few short sharp climbs thrown in.

Top Bottom