decent tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Can anyone recommend a decent brand of tools (not just bike tools) that will have a decent level of durability ? I am fed up poor quality ones that last five mins. I realise you get what you pay for with this sort of thing, but I am not made of money, so is there a sort of mid range brand that's worth it? Or a top brand that's good to get second hand?

S-Express

Halfords Professional range is very good, as is Draper. As long as you're not buying tools from pound shops, you should be generally ok.

e-rider

crappy member
for the Bike I use Park Tools mostly
for tools in general, there are plenty of premium brands but they often cost big money - if you want good but cheap then try Draper Expert range or Stanley

sight-pin

Veteran
I was working in a commercial garage and as usual the Snap On van turned up, we was all in the van looking at the tools when a guy from the piano/organ company next door popped in wanting a screw driver, he nearly collapsed when he found out how much he had to pay lol

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

classic33

Leg End Member
I've a fair selection of Draper and older Record ones. Wouldn't buy the modern Record tools though.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you're not using them to earn a living the Halford Professional hit the sweet spot, that nice balance of price, durability, and good design that few others seem to manage. I got some Teng, Mag and Slap Off, but the Hellfrauds stuff is a decent comparison.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It makes sense to get good quality screwdrivers and hex keys (Stanley and Draper both good). For a bike you can skimp a bit on spanners – even cheap ones work.
Bike-specific stuff like cone and pedal spanners are worth spending money on. Chain tools seem much of a muchness, as do removal tools for cassette and bottom bracket.

Top Bottom