decent tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Back in the day Draper were total shyte so I'd never buy them, though fro. what people above have said maybe they've improved. Converly Britool used to be superb but are now very downmarket

Overall I would rate Facom as excellent; screwdrivers particularly, and if you can grit your teeth and pay up their set of t-bar allen keys are superb and really nice to use (a buttock clenching 70 notes however).

Other rather good makes include gedore, bondus (for normal alen keys), bahco, sykes. Lindstrom are the rolls royce of pliers and cutters but priced acordingly

screenman

Legendary Member
If you want to repair windscreen I would suggest Delta, ( I have been waiting years to get a plug in) for the rest I have a mix of so many from Snap-on I purchased 42 years ago to some Chinese spanners that I cannot fault from Fleabay.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Lindstrom are the rolls royce of pliers and cutters but priced acordingly

lindstrom.jpg

A mere £79.08.:cry:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I cannot imagine a worse job or business than selling tools.

I think I'd go broke as I'd not want any customers taking away any of my lovely shiny tools

screenman

Legendary Member
I think I'd go broke as I'd not want any customers taking away any of my lovely shiny tools

It is the giving credit to guys that often cannot afford to pay it back that I would not like, there is a lot of oneupmanship in garages to have the best tool kit and those with bills at home often should not be competing.

Not really any point in looking further than 'frauds Pro stuff if it's for hobby level use. They will replace, instore, faulty stuff without any problems. Note tho' there screwdrivers are made of cheese....

If looking for sexy then

Wera Joker Spanners
Bondhus Allen Keys (invented them)
Wiha Screwdrivers
Bahco Files, Cutting Tools, Adj Spanners, Sockets

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have a Canadian friend who made a very good living selling Snap On tools in Vancouver. He said that most mechanics had an insatiable appetite for good tools.

Back in the day Draper were total shyte so I'd never buy them, though fro. what people above have said maybe they've improved. Converly Britool used to be superb but are now very downmarket

Overall I would rate Facom as excellent; screwdrivers particularly, and if you can grit your teeth and pay up their set of t-bar allen keys are superb and really nice to use (a buttock clenching 70 notes however).

Other rather good makes include gedore, bondus (for normal alen keys), bahco, sykes. Lindstrom are the rolls royce of pliers and cutters but priced acordingly
Draper Expert usually ok. Draper are just an import company rather than making their own gear.
Britool are only ok (used to be excellent), went downhill after being bought by Stanley
Facom generally are decent too, but not cheap.
Snap On not what it used to be either tbh

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a Canadian friend who made a very good living selling Snap On tools in Vancouver. He said that most mechanics had an insatiable appetite for good tools.

Also and insatiable appetite for debt, I know many a tech who keeps his Snap-on bill secret from his wife. Kids at home without clothes, no money for Christmas, no worries though as he has the bigest tool kit and debt to go with it.

sight-pin

Veteran
Their was a limit set with the Snap-on guy, most i paid was about a fiver a week on the account, always paid otherwise it would mean twice the amount the next week, their was always something else on the van I'd be wanting so quicker it got paid the better.

Top Bottom