Decided on Boardman Hybrid! Questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I have the previous version of the Hybrid Comp which I fitted SKS mudguards to with plenty of clearance on the original 28mm tyres, but I'm not sure if there would have been room for 35mm Marathons. What about the standard Marathon Plus or the Vittoria Randonneurs which are available in 28mm and 32mm which would probably fit?
Thanks Jenkins :thumbsup:

Not sure if the previous version was different, but I reckon you could get a bus between the tyres and the frame... mine is already shod with the Vittoria Randonneurs (Edit: Zaffiro) you mention, in a 700x28c size. It looks like it should take 35's and guards easily, but that's why I created this thread... I wanted to make sure!!

I don't want to turn it into a flat-bar cross bike, just change the tyres to something that's puncture resistant, fast rolling on tarmac and capable off-road. The Marathon Plus Tour (35) or Continental Touring Plus (28/32) look ideal?

Do you mind me asking – which SKS did you fit, 35 or 45mm?

Tight Git

Veteran
Fitted 32c Marathon plus to my wifes Comp so they definitely fit. And yes the original tyres are pretty lacking in grip - even wet uphill on tarmac it was easy to spin them up.

Steve Saunders

I bought a Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp back in April, and have now covered over 2700 miles on it. In that time it has been a brilliant bike. It does need the occasional tweak to the disc brakes to either prevent rubbing or get the optimum braking performance - not difficult though. I stuck with the 28c tyres and it's perfectly happy with tarmac or the cycle paths around me, although I did find that Vittoria tyres it came with were a little prone to punctures (especially glass shards). I switched to Continental Gatorskins after about 1200 miles and have now done 1500 miles on them without a single puncture.

The riding position is nice and comfortable, but I found adding bar ends really helped as it gave an extra hand position which comes in handy for longer 50+ mile rides.

I did get a terrible clicking noise come from my bike after about 500 miles and initially suspected the bottom bracket, it turned out it was the pedals needed the threads re-greased and tightened a touch. I've not had any issues with the bottom bracket, and in the 2700 miles I've done the only maintenance I've had to do is change the chain, brake pads and clean/re-grease the rear freehub bearings - my fault for being too enthusiastic with the pressure washer (I've learnt my lesson). It's still running as smooth and quiet as the day I got it.

I have mudguards fitted to mine ... SKS Chromoplastic Narrow (20-28c). They fit fine, although the fitting instructions are a little misleading. Due to the disc brake callipers on the Boardman, you will have to bend the stays around the calliper to get them to fit, but it can be done. They can be a bit fiddly to fit though, as there isn't much clearance from the tyre, but they tend to stay in place very well and don't need constant tweaking.

** Edit, as it's coming from Halfords I would suggest checking all the bolts are tight yourself before riding, rather than trust that they have checked ... a couple of mine were a bit loose and nearly caused an off on my first ride.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I bought a Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp back in April, and have now covered over 2700 miles on it. In that time it has been a brilliant bike. It does need the occasional tweak to the disc brakes to either prevent rubbing or get the optimum braking performance - not difficult though. I stuck with the 28c tyres and it's perfectly happy with tarmac or the cycle paths around me, although I did find that Vittoria tyres it came with were a little prone to punctures (especially glass shards). I switched to Continental Gatorskins after about 1200 miles and have now done 1500 miles on them without a single puncture.
That was why I switched to Marathon Plus on the old Flight – the stock tyres were very prone to unscheduled deflation, usually on a miserable, dark morning, and sometimes more than once in a day – but after switching tyres, I completed the rest of my first cyclo-comuting year "puncture free" (4500+ miles total, over 3500 on the Schwalbes) :smile:

The riding position is nice and comfortable, but I found adding bar ends really helped as it gave an extra hand position which comes in handy for longer 50+ mile rides.
I'm adding bar ends too – had them on the Flight, and spent more time on them than the grips to be honest. I only managed 40+ on the Flight, but agree that having extra hand positions does indeed come in handy.

I did get a terrible clicking noise come from my bike after about 500 miles and initially suspected the bottom bracket, it turned out it was the pedals needed the threads re-greased and tightened a touch. I've not had any issues with the bottom bracket, and in the 2700 miles I've done the only maintenance I've had to do is change the chain, brake pads and clean/re-grease the rear freehub bearings - my fault for being too enthusiastic with the pressure washer (I've learnt my lesson). It's still running as smooth and quiet as the day I got it.
I'll be taking off the stock pedals and fitting SPDs anyway, so I'll make sure the threads are greased and their tightened properly! I did similar maintenance on the Flight, but since the Comp won't be a full-time commuter, I expect I'll be buying more chains for the Trek than the Boardman:whistle:

I have mudguards fitted to mine ... SKS Chromoplastic Narrow (20-28c). They fit fine, although the fitting instructions are a little misleading. Due to the disc brake callipers on the Boardman, you will have to bend the stays around the calliper to get them to fit, but it can be done. They can be a bit fiddly to fit though, as there isn't much clearance from the tyre, but they tend to stay in place very well and don't need constant tweaking.
I had those on the Flight too – just ordered the SKS Longboards though for the Boardman... I'll see how fitting goes. How did you bend the stay for the front? I recall seeing pics of various options – under, over and even through the calliper!

** Edit, as it's coming from Halfords I would suggest checking all the bolts are tight yourself before riding, rather than trust that they have checked ... a couple of mine were a bit loose and nearly caused an off on my first ride.
That will be my Saturday morning job this weekend :thumbsup:

Steve Saunders

Not the best photos in the world at showing it, but basically the bottom stay was relatively untouched, and I took the over-the-top of the calliper route as it seemed to be the shortest so gave more play for positioning the guard to get it to sit right - pretty easy to do with a vice and a pair of pliers.
chromoplastic_p35_boardman_hybrid01.jpg

chromoplastic_p35_boardman_hybrid02.jpg

Top Bottom