Decisions, decisions...Marin Pine Mountain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, after today's ride on the Marin, I'm seriously considering stripping it and fitting bits off the Trek, which I know will all function correctly.
Basically, it seems that there's a lot more wear and tear on the groupset components tnan I thought, and to replace like-for-like is going to be quite spendy. So my thought is to transfer all the 9-speed bits off the Trek, using only the frame and chainset from the Marin. I would also convert to V-brakes at the same time.
Possible gotchas: no clue if the freehub can go beyond 8-speed. If not, I'll just swap the wheels out with the Trek and move the Mavics on. The new chain and cassette can be spare for the Scott.
It seems a shame to move it away from originality, but at the end of the day, I want to ride it, and that's not do-able as it stands.

si_c

Guru
8 and 9 speed cassettes are interchangeable, so you should be fine swapping it over to 9 speed.

Sounds like you have a new cassette and chain, so chances are though that a good service and clean and detail of the other 8 speed parts is all you need, aside from possibly new chainrings and jockey wheels as well as new cables.

What's causing problems at the moment?

Shifters and RD are, despite appearances, worn out. Shifters either mis-shift or don't engage at all sometimes. RD self-destructed on ride, although I managed to cobble it together enough to get home. Like-for-like replacements to keep it original are pretty pricey. The other dump find bike has all the parts for 9-speed, the V-brakes, and, if needed, the wheels.
I've thought about it for a few days, and can't realistically think of a better way to keep this rather nice steel frame going. Any otherwise-serviceable original parts left over are possibly desirable for the collectors of such things.

What I will do is have a closer look inside the shifters before I bin them. It's possible they're well gunked up, and just might need deep cleaning. The RD is probably fixable. I'm just not too sure it's worth it...

You may not have to, blast into the gaps where the thumb levers are (assuming STI)
Already done. Further surgery indicated..

nickb

Guru
There's usually a small plug that you need to pull out. Then spray a shedload of WD40 in there whilst operating the shift lever.
This is an old XT brifter. The small black plug with the Phillips slot needs to be removed. Then you can spray some degreaser in the hole.
That should free-up the pawls on the gear shift if it's still salvageable.
IMG-3002.jpg

The M737 brifters are all plastic, and very different to those. That being said, there is an open port which has already received a large input of GT85, which did improve things from the state they were in when acquired. More investigation needed!

OK, here's today's shenanigans:
First, get the Marin on the stand and before anything else, blast the shifter mechanisms with a lot of WD40.
Remove the RD. Together with the original Sora GS mech from the Scott, strip and clean. This was not too bad on the Deore XT, but the Sora really needed a severe de-gunking. Then see if feasible to use Sora jockeys on XT. No. Or possibly yes, but they are different in size and tooth count, so decided against.
Fit cleaned Sora with a hanger extender. Still not right. Gave hanger a minor outward tweak. Improved, but not OK. Then just happened to watch the revolving cassette from above. It was wobbling. Sure enough, it is loose, just a tiny bit.. Swap cassettes and wheelset with the Trek Navigator. Everything rock solid, on both bikes. There's something weird here. Remove rear wheels again, remove cassettes, and compare freehubs. The Deore does have some amount of play, very small. It also looks different.
S**t. There's a thin spacer on it, which I took to be part of this very old freehub. Removed it, swapped everything back again. Chain whip has had about three years' use today...
So, the Trek is as it was again. The Marin now has a cassette that sits where it should, and it indexes well. The chain is a couple of links shorter, as I'd not got that quite right either. The shifters are definitely better, they will get more GT85 as time goes on.
Now all it needs is another test ride, and I'll have to give the Trek a spin again, to make sure I put it all back together properly. One piece of knowledge gained, I now know with certainty that if I have to do the 9-speed conversion on the Marin, it will work.
Phew!:tired:

Top Bottom