Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
what wonderful photos,my ride today was just ten miles.Plan was Eccup Res,then down to Headingley for a brew and scone with jam and cream.Well me and two other cyclists got to Eccup Res only to find road closed water board doing repairs.So that put paid to my plans and of the othet two lads,who i did not know,so i just went to Alwoodley found a cafe had a brew,then cycled to Meanwood had a bacon and sausage sarnie another brew then came home,what i did notice was how tight my chest was after the variant three weeks ago,i was coughing a lot.Try another outing on Saturday.

Few from todays loop around Wicken,Reach and Burwell with the better half.
Nice chilled out pootle with a stop at the Village Green cafe in Burwell for fine Cappucinos and cake; bit chilly at first but got much warmer on the way back to Ely.

Tchaikovsky themed grain store;

8E500548-49FE-430B-B27C-47DD230CE66A.jpg

Cappucinos and cake at The Village Green;

603CBFC5-BB33-480D-9C64-A712D2BA6456.jpg

Wicken Fen NT;

CA8ACFBB-F0AC-4DE5-8B45-2B833F691DF4.jpg

Someone had some spare tractor parts to use;

E33BA396-F517-4355-BFBB-D9A860D58132.jpg

View from 'Cock-up' bridge;

FEE687BE-F18E-4F59-ACD7-196B38978E29.jpg

Not often you see a helicopter(or what's left of one) in a back yard;

4BABDC7B-3153-4DC9-8C99-D35FA27F926A.jpg

Reach cottage;

A6A0C1E7-D85D-42E2-B576-11EF913A9E01.jpg

Didn't look to see if there was a swamp thing,,,

E189CE00-3949-4EE6-98FD-405A13C41874.jpg

Second ride on the Marin after some refurb. Not good. Not good at all. Still some slipping gears, and not sure why. New chain and caqssette, indexing great on the stand. There are some issues with the shifters which I need to look at. Having got me up the Leg O'Mutton ramp and past Yeleverton, I start to lose drive. Sods law gives me nowhere to stop due to a sudden abundance of walkers. By the time I've staggered to a stop, the chain is between the large sprocket and the spokes. How? Upper jockey wheel not there. Look around. Find it, and the bolt. But one bearing plate vanished. Unable to undo the brand new quick link, so spend 20 minutes getting it all back together, needing but not having access to, three hands. Having somehow managed that, turn around and head back, trying everything out to see what gears I can rely on. None, really, but the best is three chainrings to small 11t. Oh well, will have to adjust the route and *gasp* ride on some actual road. Probably helped with the average speed, all things considered!
Positive points: when it was running smoothly, I liked the gearing setup a lot. And it is a comfy bike with the 40mm tyres.
Map:
Screenshot (24).png

buzz22

Über Member
Blue skies and Sydney Harbour beckoned. First stop was the Hyde Park War Memorial in the city (about 30km from home) for some peaceful reflection.
20220728_120842.jpg

After a drink and a break it was time to head down to Sydney Harbour.
20220728_122121.jpg

20220728_122418.jpg

The Sydney Opera House is a great spot to take a break and looks amazing from any angle.
Next it was around to Mrs Macquaries Chair, one of Sydney's most scenic spots and the perfect vantage point for the New Years Eve fireworks we're famous for.
20220728_125250.jpg

20220728_124848.jpg

It was difficult to draw myself away from the view but it was time to head home.
20220728_125624.jpg

A quick look over my favourite pool, Boy Charlton Pool which is beside Woolloomooloo Bay and homeward bound.
20220728_143611.jpg

My ride for the day was my very 90's fluoro yellow Europa flat bar conversion.
It was a good choice for the day, the 7 gears were enough and the ride position comfortable for the whole trip, most of which was on bike paths.
70km in total and time for a late lunch.

Attachments

• 20220728_122857.jpg
    20220728_122857.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 0

Gwylan

Veteran
Gray Thursday.
Wandering with Vanessa and the Management. Afternoon pootle around rural Warwickshire seemed in order.

Bishop Itchington seems to be on the route of most WVM and SUVC around here. Leamington Spa seems like a massive outlet centre. Did I miss the good bits?
Not a very nice outing.
Passed through Southam. Distinguished by numerous bits of cyclist paths that come to a sudden end and cast you back onto the main road.
Is Warwickshire closed on a Wednesday? Only place that seemed open was the Coop Funeral Care outlet

Maybe Oxford will be more interesting over the weekend.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Blue skies and Sydney Harbour beckoned. First stop was the Hyde Park War Memorial in the city (about 30km from home) for some peaceful reflection.
View attachment 654701
After a drink and a break it was time to head down to Sydney Harbour.
View attachment 654702

View attachment 654704
The Sydney Opera House is a great spot to take a break and looks amazing from any angle.
Next it was around to Mrs Macquaries Chair, one of Sydney's most scenic spots and the perfect vantage point for the New Years Eve fireworks we're famous for.
View attachment 654705

View attachment 654706
It was difficult to draw myself away from the view but it was time to head home.
View attachment 654707
A quick look over my favourite pool, Boy Charlton Pool which is beside Woolloomooloo Bay and homeward bound.
View attachment 654708
My ride for the day was my very 90's fluoro yellow Europa flat bar conversion.
It was a good choice for the day, the 7 gears were enough and the ride position comfortable for the whole trip, most of which was on bike paths.
70km in total and time for a late lunch.

Have they finished fettling the Pyrmont Bridge?

buzz22

Über Member
Have they finished fettling the Pyrmont Bridge?

I'm not sure about that one, I haven't been down that way lately unfortunately.

gavgav

Guru
My first ride for almost 2 weeks. Just a short after work trip, muggy and cloudy, but hardly any wind which is always nice.

A regular route out through Meole, Hook a Gate and Annscroft, before turning East through Exfords Green, to Stapleton. There were 5 large goats chewing on the grass by the roadside, in Exfords Green, not sure if they were supposed to be there but they seemed happy!

I called in on Dad for half an hour. He’s getting over Covid, which laid him low for a couple of weeks, but he’s on the mend thankfully.

Route home was via Gonsal, Condover and Betton Abbots. One thing of note was not a single car seen in either direction on the road from King St to the A458, which was nice. That must be a first when a lockdown isn’t in place and even then it was quite rare!

14.89 miles at 13.6mph avg.

ianbarton

Veteran
After yesterday's physio my right knee was hurting. I decided to cycle to Wem
where I could stop for lunch in the Library Cafe. The weather was good with
only a slight breeze. When I go to Millenheath there was a Road Closed sign,
which I ignored. When I reached the A49 I could see that they had resurfaced
a section of the road which was closed off. It was nice to be able to cross what
is normally a very busy road with no traffic.

I cycled up the hill into Prees and at the last moment decided to turn left
opposite the Church and follow the lane to Prees Lower Heath. The road
back towards the A49 is straight and has buttery smooth tarmac. Crossing the
A49 again I set off towards Soulton and Lower Lacon into Wem. I rolled up to
the Library Cafe looking forward to a good lunch and a rest only to discover it
was closed for repairs until the next day! I turned around and cycled to the
Coop where I bought some food for lunch.

Going back past the Church I turned right to the hill up to Lowe. I headed
along the quiet lane to Dobsons Bridge, turning right at Ladywell and headed
into Whixhall. Turning onto the B road between Wem and Whitchurch for a short
distance I turned right back towards Prees. From the centre of Prees there is a
short steep hill back up to the church. I pulled into the churchyard and sat on
a bench under a yew tree to each lunch. Fuelled up I descended the hill back
over the A49 and climbed up a moderate slope into Ightfield. From here it's
mostly downhill back to home. En route, I came across several calves wandering
in the lane. They had escaped through the gate that wasn't properly
closed. The farm was only a couple hundred yards away and I called into the
farm to tell them about the great escape.

Approaching the Hill Up to the Church in Prees
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-14h35m25s592.png

Entrance to the Church in Prees
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-14h36m25s289.png

No It Isn't! Can Still Cross Over the A49
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-14h28m15s535.png

Wem
vlcsnap-2022-07-28-14h33m02s427.png

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Awoke feeling pretty manky, smashed the usual Caffeine and anti-histamines, threw on the cycling clothes and got straight out on the CdF.

As usual I headed West out of the village under clear blue skies and an increasingly intense sun. Along an assortment of familiar roads and bridleways, experiencing the usual mix of other road users from careless close-passers to those overtly grateful I'd nipped into a passing place to let them overtake on the smaller roads.

My asthma was pretty brutal up the first few 13%-ish hills - illustrating again how I really need to drop the grotty smoking habit I've recently acquired :rolleyes:

Around halfway through I had to stop to pull down my sleeves and don my cycling cap to prevent the relentless sun from brazing my pasty skin any more than it already had, and thankfully during the latter half of the ride the asthma abated to much more manageable levels.

Hadn't planned to be out too long as I have a wedding reception to attend (now), but ended up doing just under 31 miles and 1500ft at 13.9mph and an average HR of 144bpm for a little under 1600Kcal burnt. It seems that I've gradually been getting faster of late; corroborated by a few more Strava PBs - some obvious progress that's very welcome!

Once back home I was glad of a shave, shower and fat salad.. time will tell how much the morning's exertion will impact the afternoon / evening's social obligations - currently munching salt and downing pints of water to ensure my electrolyte levels don't ruin the rest of the day.

A few wonkily-colour-balanced, over-saturated pics of the nicer bits courtesy of the work phone:

IMG_20220729_120725.jpg

IMG_20220729_121800.jpg

IMG_20220729_122440.jpg

:smile:

So I'm sat here feeling thoroughly mellow and the phone rings. It's the shop manager.

"Andrew, where are the keys for the bike display?. It's not easy to sell a bike when it's locked up."
Think for a moment.
Check work trousers.
Keys in pocket.
B*gg*r.
Pick up phone.
"Um... in my pocket. Give me ten minutes."
A chuckle at the other end
"Plonker; see you then."
On bike, out of apartment, cross village, cross river, to shop. unlock bike, customer happy, manager happy.
Apologise profusely to long suffering sales team. I'd say this was the first time, but they all know me.
Carefully put keys in drawer by till under the eyes of two witnesses.
Push off to apartment.
And... relax.

Bike in question was the red and yellow MTB nearest the camera, for 100€. It's a lovely ride, so I hope they look after it.

Showroom.jpg

Top Bottom