Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Grimselpass with not so littlest.

20220730_104628.jpg

20220730_133753.jpg

112km, 1980m climbing.

iandg

Legendary Member
Short ride out of Dumfries and into the lanes then return on the tracks of Heathhall Forest (dodging the dog s***) and back into town along the Caledonian Cycleway. Topped 75km for the week for first time since mid April :smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/7558307733

IMG_20220731_113211_184.jpg

IMG_20220731_113800_524.jpg

IMG_20220731_115531_128.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Some catching up to do (to the surprise of nobody I'm sure).

Wednesday: With the effects of the bee sting, followed by commitments and some uninspiring weather mixed in, I hadn't been out for more than a week, so I desperately needed to loosen the legs in anticipation of attempting a challenge ride before the month runs out. I got the knockabout bike and headed for a loop into town, out to Upton Magna and Atcham then back.

The old bypass was just reopening after being closed for work. I did ride a short bit of it while it's quiet and they seem to have done a decent job. Heading round Frankwell island was a mistake as I got caught up in the traffic. I did do a bit of filtering but there were bits where it was safer to just go with the flow. There was a blockage on Victoria Quay too where a lorry was waiting for access to The Quarry to bring in equipment for the forthcoming flower show.

Once in the park I made relaxed progress along the riverside to Castlefields, Sydney Avenue and onto the canal path to Uffington then out to Upton Magna. As always it was pleasant riding along the lanes but I found myself very wary of the insects. The road to Atcham was a little busy and the one to Cross Houses busier than I'm used to. After Berrington and Kingstreet I'd usually follow Lyons Lane to Condover but this time headed a shorter way through Allfield - I did meet a rather large lorry that took up the whole lane so needed to turn back to the nearest gateway which did get a toot and wave of thanks.

The A49 looked rather busy when I got to the Norton crossroads so I headed for Lyth Hill to keep my time on the trunk road to a minimum.

21.3 miles at 12.2 average. A nice ride at a leisurely pace.

20220727_153141.jpg

The Welsh Bridge.

20220727_153614.jpg

St. Chad's and one of the marquees for the Flower Show is in place. It usually takes about three weeks to set up for the show and two weeks to take everything down again.

20220727_153640.jpg

Shrewsbury School and "Sabrina" takes another load of trippers around the river loop.

20220727_165515.jpg

The view from Lyth Hill and it appears I've been lucky with the weather as showers have been rolling across the countryside to the east.

----------------------------------------------------------

Thursday: The knockabout bike got used again and I went for a variation of my Acton Burnell route, starting off this time climbing to the top of Lyth Hill then descending the bridleway to Exford's Green and following another bridleway that links to Lower Common. This was all a bit rough and slow going but made an enjoyable change as it's been a while since I last came this way.

Rejoining tarmac I headed through Stapleton and along Pump Lane to Gonsall - I haven't been this way for a while either so it was nice to see the fresh tarmac at the junction with the A49. At Ryton I joined my usual route to Longnor, Frodesley and Acton Burnell. I found the small climb on the way to Cound Moor a bit more of an effort than hoped, then later on where the road dips into a small valley I got baulked by a car coming the other way so couldn't carry my speed on the climb out. At Cound the flag of the day was that of Ukraine - not the only property locally where that is being flown at the moment.

There was an unusual amount of traffic on the lanes after Cound and that turned out to be because the A458 was closed, however I reached the closed signs just as the work for the day had finished and vehicles were being allowed through. I was going to take the lane directly to Berrington anyway so wasn't on it for long.

I took the lane to Boreton this time, which I had to myself. I considered riding through the ford as I thought the level would be low but it wasn't as low as expected - it does look rather potholed though so I'll stick to using the footbridge.

The Allfield lane was used again and this time I could see across the fields that the A49 didn't look too bad so I took the direct (and flatter) way back.

25.6 miles at 11.4 mph average. That one took more out of me than expected.

20220728_144308.jpg

Taking the track across the top of Lyth Hill. It always looks smoother in photos than real life.

20220728_145334_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A mile or so further along, I've just come down the track on the left of shot. It's quite steep with a loose rocky surface so quite interesting to ride on touring tyres.

20220728_150903.jpg

A view to the hills that I like at Stapleton.

20220728_162359.jpg

Harvesting well under way at Boreton.

Last edited:

cwskas

Über Member
I have gotten too good at making excuses not to ride. :thumbsdown:

I got out yesterday morning for an early ride with my primary riding buddy, Charlie. I had indicated to him earlier in the week that I needed to get out everyday this week, even if just for 10 miles. He was motivated and he rode at least 10 miles each day and I had not turned a crank. He subtly mentioned that and I agreed to meet him yesterday morning.

It was a fine morning, 75F/26C, a few degrees cooler than we have been having for lows. The first 3 miles from my house north out of Clifton is mostly downhill so a really good way to get warmed up. Traffic was light and the sun was not quite over the hills. Within just a few miles I was elated and trying to make a serious bookmark in my old brain how much fun this is and how quickly it removed the funk I had been experiencing most of the week!
20220730-01.jpg

Charlie had planned a 30-35 mile ride starting at 630 am and I decided to include the 15-16 miles from/to my house and get about 50 miles. I didnt get away from my house until 615a and rode pretty hard to not keep Charlie waiting too long. I might have set a new record for the trip to his house, at least that is what my breathing was telling me when I arrived. He was just coming out of the gate, so off we went with no delay.
20220730-02.jpg

Within the first mile we surprised quite a few deer and it is always exhilarating to see how fast they move and how effortlessly they jump the fences. One of these days I will have the video camera mounted and running and might catch them. The cattle always seem interested in us and pose well.
20220730-03.jpg

20220730-04.jpeg

These antelope were very close to the fence, but they spook easily, so this is the best I could get.
20220730-09.jpeg

On the way home I deviated into Meridian State Park to get a quick picture and see how the lake was holding up. But Charlie had a lunch date with his wife and he kept riding.
20220730-07.jpeg

After leaving the park, I pressed hard to see if I could catch Charlie. I knew I had several good downhill sections and I am faster on the downhills so I thought I had a chance. But of course we all know what goes with downhills. After 3 downhills and 2 uphills I finally succeeded but was really feeling it. I was down to the last of my water and had planned to refill at Charlies. But the extra exertion and the increased temperature, 95F by now, really had me suffering. I pulled into some shade and recovered for a bit before heading on.
20220730-08.jpeg

I refilled my water at Charlie's and headed home, but struggled the rest of the way. I should have remembered it had been 10 days since I had ridden and managed my pace and water better. It was a great ride, but I fell asleep watching the replay of the Tour de France Femmes and slept for 2 hours. After watching the remainder of the replay and having dinner, I fell asleep again and slept 10 hours!

20220730-map.jpg

51 miles
4h36m moving, 5h35m total
2165' climbing
11 mph avg, 40 mph max
75F-98F

Last edited:
More Greenway goodness. 16 miles in around 1.5hrs seems to be my sweet spot at the moment, in a few weeks I want to be riding longer distances but not too fussed about the time, just want to increase stamina and fitness.

New picture though - Knowler Tunnel. In hot weather this is a nice short respite as it's always cool inside ^_^ Techinically this is from yesterdays ride but I was feeling the strain today and just wanted to push through with no stops.

IMG-20220730-103518-660.jpg

I'm trying different ways on and off the greenway as there are many, unfortunately todays one wasn't as good as it looked on the map. It started with a narrow but ok surfaced path, but then later turned into a very tight path that I walked. This picture (not mine) shows some 'no bikes' signs - they aren't there now otherwise I would have turned around and gone back as normally it says no bikes for a good reason!

Untitled.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Friday: This was the day that looked best for my challenge ride, the forecast being dry with very light winds. I knew that I hadn't done nearly enough miles during July to keep my fitness up so planned to take things very easy and just try and get the distance regardless of how long it took.

I had the Raleigh out and was ready to go just after seven into a dull and slightly drizzly morning. I thought that having my lights on for the main road section at the start might be a good idea, but was disappointed when my front light failed less than two miles in - one of the rechargable batteries has apparently come to the end of its life.

Thankfully at this time of year that is just a minor niggle and the ride went pretty well as I headed through Condover on the way to Ryton, Gonsall, Stapleton and Exford's Green. The morning traffic picked up a bit through Plealey, Pontesbury and Minsterley but didn't really cause me any issues apart from the one guy who clearly wasn't looking ahead and went for an overtake just as the traffic in front was coming to a halt for temporary lights.:rolleyes:

Horsebridge road has been surface dressed since I was last here which was annoying as the surface defects I usually try to ride around are now hidden. On the other hand, the hazardous potholes on the way to Westbury have been patched, which made that section better to ride. Traffic was quiet through Coedwy and Crew Green then I had a break for my first snack of the day in a gateway just after Melverley. So far, so good - I wasn't fast but felt like I could manage this pace all day.

When I restarted, a couple of cyclists who had passed in the opposite direction earlier were coming back up behind me. I expected them to come past me pretty quickly but they seemed to be going at a chatting pace so never did.

Before Maesbrook I took a left and along the lanes past Llwyntidmon Hall then through Redwith and Waen Wen on the way to Morton and Ball. I could see another rider ahead on the road to Oswestry but managed to resist the temptation to try and catch up. After crossing the A483 I took a left and headed through the village of Weston to get into the centre of Oswestry. It's only fairly recently I've tried going this way and I wish I'd done it ages ago as it's a much nicer route into town than through the industrial estate and busy arterial roads. Heading out past the ancient hill fort I thought the lane seemed very quiet and found the reason for that at Cross Lanes where the road was closed with no access for pedestrians or cyclists. Pah! With this being the signed NCN route to Gobowen I thought it very poor that there was no advanced warning. I had the choice of going back into Oswestry then round another way (about six or seven miles out of my way at a guess) or taking a shorter diversion that would mean having to use a very busy roundabout to cross the A5. I chose the latter and even though the traffic was as heavy as feared they did all at least treat me like I had a right to be there.

I could have cut a couple of miles out of my route here if I'd taken the next exit off the roundabout and gone past the hospital - I didn't think about it at the time and it's probably just as well I didn't as it would have messed up my mileage.

From Gobowen I took the NCN route to Ellesmere. This was a little busier than usual which I suspect was due to the Whittington to Ellesmere road being closed for surfacing. It didn't cause much of an issue here though. I didn't stop in Ellesmere but carried on towards Coptiviney with a pause on the way for another snack stop. I didn't fancy going past Stocks Farm (Stocks Lane has a really rotten surface) so dropped into the dip by Hampton Wood and climbed up to Breaden Heath (or is it Breadon Heath? - I saw both spellings while riding through) and headed for Bettisfield.

Reaching Northwood I turned to go through Dobson's Bridge on the way to Coton and Prees. Although this is pretty flat and there wasn't much wind I wasn't making very quick progress but didn't try pushing to go faster. I had a bit of a moment at the turning for Prees railway station; as I started my turn across the traffic a car came fast round the corner - it had been hidden by the hedge so I couldn't see it until the last moment. Thankfully I was able to abort the turn. I could really do without that kind of excitement.

Having been doing a bit of a plodding pace on the flat I was a little worried about the climb through Prees but it was quite manageable in a lowish gear. As usual I bounced my way along Moreton Street on the way out of town. This has to be a contender for the worst maintained street in Shropshire as it's almost all patches on top of patches on top of patches. Thankfully it gets smoother once past all the houses and offers a nice descent.

I needed to cross the A41 on my way to Ightfield and found that this is another major road that is closed for resurfacing work at the moment, causing much confusion among motorists looking for a way round. At Ightfield I paused at the bus stop to eat my lunch and have a welcome rest then carried on towards Calverhall. Usually I take a left here but this time decided to carry on towards Moreton Say - possibly not the best idea this time as this road also had a lot of vehicles on it trying to get round the closure. Many were going a teeny bit quick for these narrow roads but they didn't cause me any actual issues. I was glad though when things quietened down again as I headed for Longford then into Market Drayton.

I knew I had some distance in hand so could take a shorter route through the outskirts of Market Drayton. Passing a playground a group of young lads challenged me to pull a wheelie.:laugh: I didn't oblige. Leaving town a slightly older lad in a Fiesta came round a corner a bit quick near the golf course - take it easy mate, it's not a video game.:headshake:

With my pace having been a bit plodding so far it was nice to find myself cruising at a fairly respectable 15 or 16 mph past the airfield at Tern Hill and onwards to Stoke on Tern, Ollerton and Eaton upon Tern. I was still struggling a bit on the hills but was enjoying the flat bits apart from the fact the saddle was feeling a bit firm this time out.

After crossing the A442 the route is a bit more undulating but I got a second wind and was feeling a lot better than expected for this point in the ride. Another snack stop shortly after High Ercall helped keep this momentum up for a few more miles to Rodington Heath, Withington, Upton Magna, Atcham and Cross Houses then I opened up the wine gums near Berrington which gave a nice bit of energy to get to Condover and the direct way home along the A49. I was pleased with most of the drivers here, who were very respectful, with the exception of one who came up behind me revving their engine and left about 18 inches gap.

102.1 miles at 13 mph moving average. 9 hours and 25 minutes total including all the stops which I'm pretty happy with under the circumstances and it keeps me in the Imperial Century Challenge.^_^

20220729_073425.jpg

Near Stapleton early in the ride and the scenery is showing the transition to late summer.

20220729_080801_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Minsterley.

20220729_095524.jpg

Heading into Oswestry via the scenic route. This is much nicer to look at than the industrial estate I usually ride through.

20220729_100340.jpg

The Wilfred Owen memorial in Cae Glas Park, Oswestry.

20220729_115134.jpg

Crossing the canal near Bettisfield.

20220729_123055.jpg

Prees.

20220729_130837.jpg

From my lunch stop at Ightfield.

20220729_131405_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Calverhall.

20220729_132748_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Moreton Say.

20220729_141815.jpg

Ollerton.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
032F0CA9-A5BB-4F1C-AAF1-EB847B168A8C.jpeg

FB4E24A2-D7BC-46C7-9A3C-44CA1A52DA64.jpeg

A0F48CBD-1E20-418E-80FB-72A664A5FFB2.jpeg
A busy weekend means a short ride late on Sunday afternoon.
Only the Battisborough loop with a little diversion to Ford. Parched fields and tourists cars with roof boxes.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Apparently the recovery time for Friday morning's ride is about three days , probably a bit more given the day's additional couple of hours dancing badly to jungle until past my bed time, however the outside was so nice tonight I couldn't resist going out for a bit of a waft.

The battery in my HRM finally died but I wasn't overly bothered as this was to be a sedate one with the emphasis on maintaining a steady cadence at low load.

I took a selection of the usual roads and tracks, appreciating the cooling evening air and lack of traffic. As usual I ended up staying out for longer than planned; doing about 22.5 miles at a leisurely 11.6mph.

I did try to take the dslr but it wouldn't fit in my bag, so I settled for the work phone and have spent the last hour battling it to recover my photos :rolleyes:

IMG_20220731_195232 (1).jpg

IMG_20220731_195752.jpg

IMG_20220731_203504.jpg

Two years and 4k miles in and I still facking love this bike :becool:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Sunday - I never like riding into low sun, but for the first time in weeks (or months?) it was heavily overcast, so I took a rare opportunity of riding eastwards at sunrise.

Was briefly on the A24, deserted apart from a pedestrian walking up ahead. She wasn't aware of me but I was watching closely because she was behaving oddly... and then she abruptly stopped and exposed her backside! Decided to spare her any embarrassment by cycling past with my head right down, pretending I hadn't noticed!

Climbed to Epsom race course and continued on to Banstead before dropping down onto the Chipstead Valley road to Coulsdon. then turned south onto the short but stiff climb onto Farthing Downs road.
1659338220100.png

Stopped at the top, resting with my drink and snack whilst enjoying the views.

1659338246916.png

Continued south...
1659338275387.png

The lane soon enters woodland, a leafy tunnel of earthy smells; it is part of the Avenue Verte, after all. It's also NCN20, and is a lovely escape from suburbia.

A crazy descent followed, then a bridge over the M25/M23 junction.
AV turned onto NCN21 and turned off-road on a bridleway past Spyries Mere nature reserve. Never knew it was there, despite living nearby for a few years. Maybe it's new. Damn, no photo.

1659338738068.png

Back onto roads and another short but stiff climb up and over a ridge with the village of Nutfield at the top. Passed Redhill Aerodrome, and then took cycle paths and lanes south of Reigate to Betchworth. Took a section of the old Reigate to Dorking road which is now a dead-end that leads to a footpath alongside the River Mole.

1659338984526.png

Stopped at the Stepping Stones at the bottom of Box Hill , where the North Downs Way crosses the river. Those stones were a bit dodgy with SPD cleats!
1659339622465.png

1659339635358.png

1659339663970.png

Then back onto the A24 cycle path north, the home-stretch.... except I couldn't resist turning onto 'the Zigzag' up Box Hill. Managed my best time in a few years but was still about 90 seconds off my best.

The grassy slopes still haven't recovered from weeks of baking in the sun.
1659339964492.png

Then a quick blast home; 45 miles and about 2,500 feet of climbing.

Top Bottom