Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Fabulous ride last Swiss ride alas truncated by puncture, followed by first realisation that my spare tube was the wrong size(!) then that my backup repair kit was unusable as the sodding pump was knackered too(!!) Run down mountain in socks to catch bus ensued...

20220804_153303.jpg

20220804_155631.jpg

20220804_162425.jpg

20220804_163419.jpg

37km, 1040m climbing.

geocycle

Legendary Member
A north Pennines epic on the second day of my short break in Penrith. Out of town to Langwathby along the C2C to find village in chaos. The bridge was being repaired and they were taking advantage of zero traffic to resurface everything resembling a road. Fortunately the footbridge was still intact. This presented an opportunity as the lack of traffic through Langwathby meant the main road up Hartside was very quiet. Following Geraint Thomas example in the Tour, I selected a low gear and just winched up to the summit at 580m. There’s nothing to see of the cafe that was at the top. Fantastic descent to Garrigill, only marred by discovering my Gore waterproof had escaped the bag on the route. If anyone found one on Alston moor today please get in touch. Given it could have been anywhere pedaling back up Hartside didn’t seem a good option and it would have ended the planned ride. So with fingers crossed regarding the weather I took the climb out of Garrigill which is not detectably shallower or easier than in 2004 when I did my first tour. I left the C2C route and headed toward Teesdale via Yad Moss at 600m, enjoyed looking across to Great Dun Fell which is not much higher. The descent was wonderful, must be one of the best in England and I only paused at High Force for some lunch. The descent continued to Middleton in Teesdale then turned sw over the third big hill of the day at ‘only’ 480m it was the hardest as i had a headwind. Another wicked descent to Brough, then undulating farming country of Eden valley. 80 miles or 128 km with 2150 m of climbing. My most up in one ride.

pictures are of Hartside, High Force and an impression of this empty landscape.

1F51AD23-0B72-441C-85E3-5CE967017C0D.jpeg

47839A9A-30B2-4267-8A50-842EB8D5B716.jpeg

687CBD52-2DDC-4EB0-A6A3-FBD7122CF6B3.jpeg

2BC6C255-9797-40DF-BA71-90B94F9AA18D.jpeg

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
2 rides to catch up on

Wednesday,

A very muggy and warm evening, but with a keen wind from the West, as I set out for my regular loop to Dad’s. It was a crosswind as I headed through Hook a Gate and Annscroft, traffic exceptionally well behaved on what is a busy road at that time of night.

The Union Jack flag, at Annscroft, confirmed I would have a lovely tailwind to Stapleton, via Exfords Green and so I decided to put a proper effort in on the Strava segment along there, to see if I could get a PR. Knocked 10 seconds off it and so I was happy with that.

Called in on Dad for half an hour and then had more tailwinds to Gonsal, didn’t even have to stop to cross the A49 this time, Condover and King St. On the Betton road I became aware of a chap on a bike behind, who’d caught me up slowly. I’d seen him in the distance as I’d pulled out onto that road. I expected him to come past, but he seemed content on sitting behind me into the wind again, as far as where I branched off for home.

Really enjoyed that, with 14.88 miles at 13.7mph avg.

Thursday,
Another sunny and blustery evening, but the wind direction had changed to the North and it was much fresher and cooler than last night.

I decided on a loop around Shrewsbury, starting off through Sutton Farm, Reabrook and along the cycle paths to Heathgates. I reeled in a lad on a bike, along there, but he spotted me and then decided to speed up, constantly looking behind to see if I was going to overtake. I wasn’t really up for racing along there, so I just kept a decent gap and let him have his fun 😆

I then went down through Castlefields, not particularly enjoying the smell of weed being smoked, which about sums up that estate. It was busy along Sydney Avenue, with people enjoying the sunshine, some in the River, some fishing in it and some groups just stood looking at it.

The towpath alongside the Severn wasn’t as busy as I feared it might be, plenty of cyclists about though, including what seemed like an organised group of tandems, which you don’t see often.

The Quarry was quite busy and there are lots of the marquees now in place, plus seats in the arena being set up, ready for the Flower Show that starts a week tomorrow. I walked the bike over Porthill Bridge and then climbed up and out onto Roman Rd. I decided to stay on it and then enjoy the wind behind me down through Gains Park and the new estate at Bowbrook, setting a couple more Strava segments PR’s.

I followed another rider along Mousecroft lane, but he was too fast for me to catch up and then branched off through Nobold, Meole Village and home.

13.95 miles at 12.9mph avg

buzz22

Über Member
Inspired by Youtube videos of "Everesting" I took my Giant hillclimbing bike down to Waterfall and hit the hills.
20220805_132115.jpg

At the halfway mark back up the climb I was feeling great so headed back down and did another lap up the hill.
In the end 44km and felt strong, a gorgeous winter's day.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Final day of my Penrith short break and a train to catch later in the afternoon. Headed back into the lakes and looked for relatively quiet roads Which proved harder than usual. The whole place was very busy and crossing major roads was character building. Nevertheless, tried out the restored Threlkeld to Keswick cycle route including the lovely tunnel and station building. Then cut through town to Borrowdale and did a circuit of Derwent Water. The east shore was very busy but the west is an excellent cycling road with great views. From Derwent Water I headed north to Bassenthwaite and had to sample the brilliant sawmill cafe at Dodd Wood. The return journey was north of Skiddaw and through Hesketh Newmarket. Back in time for the train. 91 km or 57 miles with 1400m of climbing.

pictures are of Blencathra on arrival in the central lakes and views of Derwent Water and Bassenthwaite.
3CE27A80-A702-4E19-A68B-737C4040A231.jpeg

43D0AF37-0648-4EB5-A85C-2E4F3817BA72.jpeg

BF904660-7918-46FF-9AEC-335F31FA5340.jpeg

A17B9AF7-E9F3-4B2C-BA7D-6DD65A3FD9FF.jpeg

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Final day of my Penrith short break and a train to catch later in the afternoon. Headed back into the lakes and looked for relatively quiet roads Which proved harder than usual. The whole place was very busy and crossing major roads was character building. Nevertheless, tried out the restored Threlkeld to Keswick cycle route including the lovely tunnel and station building. Then cut through town to Borrowdale and did a circuit of Derwent Water. The east shore was very busy but the west is an excellent cycling road with great views. From Derwent Water I headed north to Bassenthwaite and had to sample the brilliant sawmill cafe at Dodd Wood. The return journey was north of Skiddaw and through Hesketh Newmarket. Back in time for the train. 91 km or 57 miles with 1400m of climbing.

pictures are of Blencathra on arrival in the central lakes and views of Derwent Water and Bassenthwaite.
View attachment 655893

View attachment 655894

View attachment 655895

View attachment 655896

Good to hear the Threlked to Keswick route is back open. Rode it quite a few years ago and it was an epic ride, including North from there, was sad to see the storm destroy it

Mixed bag this afternoon. Started out on tracks through Loggerheads park and then headed north into some quite severe hills.
20220806_162952.jpg

Old lead mining building before the proper forest tracks start. River as dry as a bone, seen it like white water rapids in the past.
20220806_164542.jpg

Bit of rock climbing going on further into the park. Once the single track roads start heading north it gets really lumpy but the Clywd Range proper starts so no surprise. Used first gear a fair bit, just pleased it wasn't really hot otherwise I reckon I might have struggled.
Needed a breather at Cilcain after two or three short but punishing climbs.
20220806_171749.jpg

18 miles total, around 30% off road and about 1% on the flat, at least that's what my legs are telling me, phew! :blush:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I did a 74 kms ride today from Colwyn Bay to Swallow Falls on the other side of Betws Y Coed. When I got back, my left knee was hurting so I will check my saddle height again tomorrow as I adjusted it a few days ago and it may be wrong. I will also check the cleat on my left shoe as I noticed it gets very close to the crank when pedalling.
I enjoyed the ride though and the weather was great.

Having done some serious cleaning of the Alivio mech on the Scott, time to test it, so...
Screenshot (26).png

It behaved impeccably. But wow, hard work on the relatively high-geared roadie after the ridiculously low-geared MTB. Actually, not accurate, the gear spread on the Pine Mountain just suits my legs. I get to use all three rings nearly equally, there are no 'wrong' gears, if you like. Given that both bikes are 3x8, the difference is quite noticeable.
I now have two serviceable bikes! Hooray!
^_^

Top Bottom