Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This morning was gifted with a surprise delivery to a client so the Routier was once more pressed into action; taking me on a gloriously sunny, slight detour along the tow path :becool:

IMG_20220809_094028.jpg

Only a short one but a very welcome and unexpected slice of inner peace :smile:

6/8/22
Hard to believe that I haven’t been out on any bike, apart from test rides, since the end of May. It’s now August, and my plans for getting fit for a trip to Mid and South Wales are in disarray.

I’ve just been overwhelmed with domestic stuff, and some health issues. Still, I’ve had the trike front wheel rebuilt with a drum brake, so a delta trike with 3 wheels and 3 brakes now. The Linear has been in bits to fit a frame reinforcing plate.

Apart from some short test rides this is the first respectable ride I’ve managed since putting it back together. It felt a lot stiffer during those rides. Everything is well greased up so there should be no squeaks or creaks. Tyres all pumped up, brakes adjusted, gears OK. Bound to be something that will need looking at.

So today I set off in a short sleeved check shirt, nondescript black drainpipe trousers and a reasonable pair of shoes topped off with a sun hat and shades.

Out of the back gate, adjust mirror and head off to the uphill traffic lights. A stale green but green long enough for me to get through. Rolling easily to the A54 roundabout, little traffic, a green light so straight across to Delamere st. and Chester road. Feeling pretty good even into a persistent headwind. Turned right into an estate road, a long downhill but many speed humps so turned left into a short steep lane and wriggled through an “A” frame barrier to sports fields. Through a car park, on to Grange Lane, down a gentle downhill to a section with a broken surface. The newly stiffened frame transmitted the bumps quite sharply and I contemplated dropping the rear tyre pressure but unlike my floor pump in the garage my get you home pump doesn’t have a gauge so I toughed it out. I came to the Whitegate Way and turned left up the steep gravelly ramp.

Curiously, though others have mentioned experiencing a spongy feel with hub gears I’ve never come across it. However, today in Low gear on the hub I felt that there was an unusual amount of pedal movement before the drive took up on each pedal stroke. It was as if the rear wheel was spinning or as if the tyre had low pressure. The adjustment seemed right, the tyre was fully inflated and it was fine as the slope eased. Too much tyre pressure? Nothing has changed. Perhaps the wheel nuts need some more tightening. Curious. The wheel was straight. Changing up with no problems, I continued along the rail trail. In due course I came to the old station, and the cafe was open. I stopped for an ice cream. Defibrillator not working. If you're going to have a heart attack, don't have it here.
View attachment 656420
I pressed on along the trail. There were a few cyclists and walkers about but not as many as I would have expected. I overtook a family group on bikes and soon was overtaken by a small boy on a well proportioned mountain bike. After overtaking he slowed down a short distance ahead and kept up the same pace as me. Eventually he slowed down and I passed him. A few minutes later there was a ting ting and the same small boy and what I assumed was his brother came past. A man on a mountain bike then overtook me and joined them, leading them up the ramp to Kennel Lane bridge where I had planned to turn off. They stopped by the bridge, perhaps waiting for the mother in the group, while I attacked the ramp. Still the strange spongy feeling. I had to stop and reverse a little as the turn at the top of the ramp was a bit tight. I went up the last steep pitch before the bridge and one of the boys said, “that looks hard”. I was wondering if I’d put a bit too much air in the front tyre as the low speed stability wasn’t the way it was the last time I rode this bike. I pressed on down Kennel Lane with the alternate dark and light spots from sunlight and shadow making getting a clear view of the sandy and gravelly surface a little sketchy with my shades on. As usual, the bike picked its own line and eventually I came on to the tarmac surface as I came into Sandiway and met the A556.

After waiting for a gap in the traffic I turned right, just arriving at the traffic lights as they turned green and pushing straight through. From here there was a dual carriageway but after a slight dip and rise there was a good downhill so I could get a bit of speed up after all the slow stuff, before my turn off to Chester Road en route to Hartford. An initial short sharp climb then the road trended downhill, with the opportunity for some lazy speed. I stopped in Hartford to photograph a couple of plaques.
View attachment 656422

View attachment 656423

View attachment 656424

View attachment 656426
Then out to the junction with the A556, across the road to an alleged cycle path that was so overgrown with shrubbery that I had to ride on the grass. It improved further on and I followed it to just before Hartford Bridge. There were road works on the A556 though that didn’t bother me as I planned to turn away from all that on the lane that leads to Vale Royal Golf Course which is on the site of the original Vale Royal Abbey. There is an “A” frame barrier and a kissing gate along here but I would deal with those when I came to them.

Terrible surface for the first 50 yards but very pleasant to be enclosed by trees on both sides and the surface quickly improved.
View attachment 656428
Nobody about though I could hear people amongst the trees. Some footpaths went off to the right into the trees so I imagined there were walkers lurking in the shrubbery. Some more downhill followed so I took it easy until I came to the viaduct where the West Coast Main Line crosses the Weaver. I had to pedal for a bit then some more downhill. I came to a gate across the road with an “A” frame barrier alongside it. On the other side some enterprising individual had made a gap, so it was easier to ride through that. After the gate the trees and shrubbery closed in with an uphill stretch to the next gate (padlocked) and a kissing gate. This was an entrance to Vale Royal Golf Course.

I checked the space available and wheeled the Linear backwards into it. I stood it on its back wheel. The swinging gate naturally swung to the uphill side, so I swung it across to the other side, rotated the bike slightly, then let it down on to both wheels and pushed it out while holding the gate back with my foot. Once out, I let it shut. There was a steep gravelly climb from this point to the tarmac and a car park but it was straightforward enough. I rolled sedately past the elegant buildings that comprise the clubhouse and set off to the wooded uphill path that leads into Whitegate village. Through a select estate, right into Mill Lane then downhill and left into Grange lane.

Grange Lane starts from this end as an ordinary looking country lane with some secluded cottages and houses but soon becomes a bridleway, with a row of bollards stopping motor traffic. At this time of year the bridleway looks more like a centre parting, with a footpath like strip hemmed in by luxuriant plant growth. Over twenty years ago this was a lane, which I drove up many times, but it was often potholed and tough on your suspension. It was resurfaced several times while I lived in this area but it was eventually downgraded. The stretch between Whitegate and a nearby farm doesn’t look like a lane at all, just a path through the woods. The rest of it up the hill into the outskirts of Winsford is rutted and potholed and mainly a farm access. I’ve never come across a horse on it. The Whitegate end makes you wonder how rapidly the natural environment would reclaim man made roads “after humans”.

I plunged into the green lit tunnel of vegetation. Immediately the outside world became a memory as I plodded between various scratching and stinging plants, occasionally lifting one arm or the other to avoid contact. Much as I like underseat steering, in some places it has its drawbacks. I stopped at a spot where the path widened. On the right, the Pettypool Brook was barely audible as it trickled its sandybottomed way to join the river Weaver. Tall trees whispered in the wind and somewhere up there a wood pigeon sounded constantly surprised. I leaned on a large tree and ate a snack.
View attachment 656431

View attachment 656433
I lingered longer than I should have, lulled by the peaceful ambience. Nobody passed by and it was as if no one else existed. Getting under way again, the path narrowed even further than before, with plants snatching at me as I passed by. It became quite nadgery with the front wheel wanting to explore the greenery rather than stay on what there was of the path. Definitely need to lose some front tyre pressure. Eventually I came to the spot where it widened, full of dried mud ruts. The mud was dry and powdery and the bike cut through them like a ship through waves until they evened out onto the lane with wheel ruts either side and a slight ridge in the middle. It was then a case of finding the least worst route between the potholes while climbing the steep slope to the top of the lane. Quite pleased to be climbing with no problems after a couple of months off the bike.

There was a closed gate at the end of the unsurfaced section with a small gap at the side made narrower by more prickly plants. After getting through unscathed it was then plain sailing as I freewheeled down a gentle slope with a good surface. Past the bridge abutments of the Whitegate Way then down a badly surfaced dip and easily up the other side. Through a scattering of houses to the sports complex car park which was surprisingly full making me have to go round the parked cars rather than diagonally across as usual. I was soon on the path which led to the “A” frame barrier which I wriggled through and trundled easily up the slope on the other side.

Through an estate, left on to Delamere St and with a following wind made good progress, across the A54 roundabout then downhill through the traffic lights and home. Some detective work and adjustments to be made before the next outing.

17.25 miles, Max 28.4, Average 6.4 mph.

Total Ascent:​
621​
ft​
Total Descent:
621​
ft​
Start Elevation:
191​
ft​
End Elevation:
191​
ft​
Min Elevation:
75​
ft​
Max Elevation:
277​
ft​
76 feet per mile ascent.

Great write up, know that Delamere cafe well

This morning was gifted with a surprise delivery to a client so the Routier was once more pressed into action; taking me on a gloriously sunny, slight detour along the tow path :becool:

View attachment 656476

Only a short one but a very welcome and unexpected slice of inner peace :smile:

I love tow path riding these days, so relaxing, even with the 'technical' bits under low bridges.
I had to hop off quickly when a young chap fell of his paddle board near Llangollen the other week, no harm done, but i thought he had hit his head on the side. Sheepish smile from him as I handed his paddle back, no harm done.
Maybe it's down to the gentle pace of the narrow boats and no cars and lorries whooshing past that makes it so relaxing?

ianbarton

Veteran
Yesterday's ride was a bit out of the ordinary! I set off Audlem, but avoided going through the village because there was one set of traffic lights on the hill up the main road through the village and another set of four-way lights at the junction with the Whitchurch road. These had been put up on Friday and left over the weekend before any workman turned up!

On the climb up the hill, which is single track, towards Norton in Hales some idiot in a car squeezed past me only a few yards before a passing place and then they turned into a farm entrance about 100 yards further on!

I stopped at the mini Sainsbury in Market Drayton to get some food for lunch. I set off for Norton in Hales and started to climb up the hill on the other side of the village. My chain and rear mech have needed replacing for some time. I have had the replacement parts sitting on a bench at home for a couple of months. Changing gear as I started up the hill the chain came off and got stuck. Luckily I was only doing about 10 mph, so the inevitable fall wasn't too painful. However, the right leg, which has a dodgy knee, was stuck in a cleat I managed to unclip and was lying in the road wondering what to do next when the Hoofman arrived. He jumped out of his truck and asked if I was OK. He helped me get up and said I could sit in his truck for a while. I politely declined and after a few checks to make sure nothing was badly hurt I set off for home.

I managed to cycle the remaining four miles or so back home. Like most falls the real pain starts the next day, so I am sitting at home drinking tea and consuming pain killers.

vlcsnap-2022-08-09-12h20m47s508.png

buzz22

After putting a set of brifters onto my Clamont yesterday a quick test ride was in order this morning.
20220810_110929.jpg

I rode my regular loop to Waterfall and back, 31km of mainly rolling highway.
The bike felt great and despite a strong wind that slowed me down at times I averaged over 29km/h for the session.

Tomorrow will be a solid day with a 100km plus ride planned down to Kiama, the same ride I did last week but this time on a road bike.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Just 15 miles ebiking, countryside is quiet, beautiful sunny afternoon, what could be better ?
I assume wheat farmers are doing well, field after field harvested, bales either gone or waiting collection, everything looks perfect for grain farmers.
Lovely relaxing ride.

I think they'd all take a bit of rain. yields are down across the board. away from the wheat fields very little grass is regrowing for summer grazing....

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
One week since Mrs D last came out of hospital and all good so far. So they go and call her in for a half day appointment with a view to changing her meds yet again. Dang! Not having ridden for 16 days, I made sure I got up early and hit the road this morning, as it might be my last chance for a few more weeks if the missus has any problems with the new meds. Just the 25.5 miles, but I thoroughly enjoyed the cool morning air and just being back out again. A gentle, pretty much flat, ride out to Arlingham with as many riverside views as possible. Back home before Mrs D got out of bed. Already hot, but I missed the worst of the heat. Loved it.
DSCF1335.JPG

DSCF1336.JPG DSCF1337.JPG DSCF1338.JPG DSCF1343.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm lagging behind yet again.:shy:

Saturday: I'd planned to get out for a few rides in the first week of August but life got in the way so I took the chance when it came. I used the Raleigh and headed south through Condover, Ryton and Hollyhurst to start with. I got along quickly at the start as I had a tailwind and enjoyed a nice run along quiet lanes with the only incident being a commotion involving three buzzards (one chasing the other two away) .

After crossing the A49 it's much more undulating the other side of the valley. A horsey event was taking place at Dudgeley Farm meaning I encountered a couple of horseboxes on the narrow lane but from there it was nice and quiet to Leebotwood then past Walkmills. A herd of cattle being moved caused a blockage for a short while on the way to Smethcott. A couple of riders were already waiting when I arrived and asked if I wanted to go first when we got going again. I overtook with thanks but they caught me up again when the climb steepened as their bikes were electric.

I turned off and carried on climbing to Picklescott. At the junction at the top of this climb I came out behind the couple on electric bikes again - they'd gone the long way round and still beaten me.:laugh:

The views are great heading done the hill along Pease Lane then I headed past Wilderley to Pulverbatch. I'd been expecting to have a headwind when I got here but by now it was more of a crosswind instead so the long gentle descent to Longden was fairly quick and fun. I picked up a tailwind on the Annscroft to Exfords Green road and got a decent top speed of 36 into the dip by Westley.

Reaching Hunger Hill there were a few cars pulled up at the side of the road - it was clear there had been a minor prang (this is a bit of an accident blackspot) and from the damage I could see it appeared as though a classic Ford XR3i had run into the back of someone waiting to turn right.

26.8 miles at 13.7 mph average which I'm quite pleased with for a hilly route.

20220806_134644.jpg

The view to the hills from Ryton. It's been a fabulous start to August.

20220806_140815.jpg

At Hollyhurst and about to take the turn on the right.

20220806_141151.jpg

A much closer view of Caer Caradoc from Hollyhurst.

20220806_141911.jpg

Plenty of horseboxes gathered for the event at Dudgeley.

20220806_143207.jpg

Traffic holdup on the way to Smethcott.

20220806_144644.jpg

Picklescott.

20220806_145106.jpg

The view from the top of Pease Lane.

20220806_152233.jpg

A last view to the Stretton hills from Hunger Hill (before I came across the accident).

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Monday: I wanted to get out but with a big ride planned for the following day didn't want to tire the l;egs too much. I thought that my standard route through Atcham, Upton Magna and Uffington then through the centre of Shrewsbury would be good for this so I set out on the knockabout bike.

The wind was more southerly this time so it was a more relaxed pace to Condover, then I had a bit of assistance along Lyon's Lane and on to Berrington. Reaching Atcham I thought I'd go through the Attingham Park Estate as it's ages since I last came this way - I stopped using it when it became booking-only during the covid crisis and haven't bothered going back until now. Lots of people were enjoying the grounds and I notice that the older cattle grids (there are seven to cross) have been replaced since I was last here.

Rejoining the road heading for Berwick Wharf and Upton Magna it wasn't too busy until the road got narrow - typical!:laugh: Heading down the hill to Uffington a group of youngsters was coming up the hill - one waited to the last minute before pulling onto his side of the road and another said "I don't think you need your light on." (it's a dynamo setup on this bike and I tend to leave it on and let the sensor sort out the choice of main light or DRL).

The old canal path wasn't very busy this time but there were a few people out enjoying Sydney Avenue and the river towpath. I headed up St. Mary's Water Lane and thought I'd be a "local tourist" having a look round the town centre before riding through The Quarry from the Victoria Quay end before leaving town over the English Bridge (met a MGIF driver here) and joining the cycle paths after Coleham Head.

22.9 miles at 12 mph average. Surprisingly quick considering I spent time pottering round the town centre at walking pace.

20220808_131911.jpg

Heading into Attingham Park.

20220808_132154.jpg

Attingham Hall.

20220808_135751.jpg

Sparkling water at the weir.

20220808_140507_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Looking along Milk Street in Shrewsbury.

20220808_140738.jpg

At Old St. Chad's. There is only a section of the old church left as the rest fell down in 1788.

20220808_141219_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The Square and the Old Market Hall.

20220808_141454_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Claremont Hill.

20220808_141800.jpg

In the graveyard at the new St. Chads.

20220808_142020.jpg

St Chad's

20220808_143239_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Looking across the river to Longden Coleham.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Tuesday: It's challenge ride time again. The Raleigh was prepared and I got out at around quarter past seven into a calm, mild and sunny morning. Having not done enough rides since the last one really I set out to do a repeat of the route round the north of the county that I did last time since it's not too hilly and the wind direction should be helping me later in the ride.

There was a bit of traffic out at this time of the morning but it didn't cause me too much bother on the way to Condover, Ryton, Stapleton, Exford's Green, Plealey and Pontesbury. I took a quieter way through Pontesbury before joining the usual road and cyclepath to Minsterley then turning off to Horsebridge.

I had a couple of drivers reluctant to overtake on the way to Westbury and pulled off the road to allow the second one past. Reaching the village there was an unexpected road closure. I didn't want to risk riding through it so checked the map and found a detour that wan't too long and took me through a change of scenery to Halfway House

Having taken a break for my second breakfast I continued to Coedwy, Crew Green and Melverley as usual. The legs felt good so I got along nicely on the flat roads to Llwyntidmon Hall and the lanes to Morton. I varied the route a little on the way to Ball, coming out on the main road a little earlier than I usually do. I used the lane through Weston to get into Oswestry again. Knowing the road I usually take past the hill fort still has a closure I went the long way round to get to Gobowen. I had just stopped to check I was taking the right road when a lady asked about my ride and told me she used to be in a racing club and did continental touring when she was younger.

I was on the right road but when I headed along it I remembered why it is that I've only cycled this way once before - it's narrow for a B road, twisty and hilly. The traffic wasn't hanging about either and, considering I'd caught it at what ought be a quiet time of day, I don't think that will be my first choice in future.:headshake:

Once off the Selattyn road things were a bit better until Gobowen where I got held up by the level crossing. I joined the NCN route to Ellesmere, which was a bit quieter than last time. In Ellesmere I dropped down to see the lake and thought that rather than taking either of my usual routes I'd try the main road to Spunhill then go through Colemere. This wasn't too bad but I'd forgotten about the one hill en route.

Colemere was nice as always then I headed through Lyneal to Northwood and Dobson's Bridge. I thought I'd try exploring some different lanes here which were good for a change of scene but didn't help with progress much. Another level crossing hold up at Prees gave a chance to transfer some water to the frame mounted bottle while waiting.

The day was warming up well by now (though nothing like @cwskas has recently ridden in) and I was feeling the heat. I'd have liked to stop somewhere around the 100km mark to eat my lunch but pressing on a little further to Ightfield seemed a better option as the old bus shelter would offer shade and a seat. As I pulled up there I noticed a curtain twitch across the street as the neighbour checked to make sure I wasn't a vandal.:laugh:

Moving on again I was a bit slow to start heading to Calverhall then taking a left for Longslow then Longford. I was needing more frequent stops for drinks and wasn't getting on with the saddle as well as I'm used to - both effects of the heat. Like last time I took the shorter way through Market Drayton but without seeing anyone to challenge me to wheelie this time.

As I headed out of town past Sutton and Tern Hill I was struggling. Stops became quite frequent and by Ollerton I was noticing frequent popping sounds as my tyres burst little bubbles of tar welling up on the road surface. After crossing the A442 I thought I'd go through Ellerdine Heath for a change then at just after Heath Lanes I paused for another snack stop, The jelly babies were opened at the same time and for the rest of the ride I ate a handful at each water stop to keep the energy levels up.

High Ercall wasn't much fun with a sore behind as the road surface is so poor and Rodington Heath isn't much better. Following a stop after Withington another cyclist went past headed my way - that spurred me to try and keep up but I just didn't have the energy. A group was leaving the cafe at Upton Magna as I passed - they didn't catch up until I stopped at Atcham and although I followed very shortly behind them I didn't see them again. I did catch up with one rider though but he turned off before I got a chance to see if I had the energy to pass.

The last few miles were a bit of a struggle so seeing the 100 mile mark come up on the speedo was a good feeling and meant that I could take the short cut through Allfield and the direct route home from there.

103.82 miles at 13.3 mph moving average. Despite the average speed being slightly higher than last time, the total time was longer at 9 hours 40 minutes due to the number of stops. It wasn't stupidly hot at 26C but it really got to me this time.

20220809_080306_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A few miles into the ride and taking a drink stop with a view of Pontesford/Earls Hill.

20220809_081138.jpg

In Pontesbury.

20220809_084149.jpg

Drat, wasn't expecting that.

20220809_090620_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Snack stop near Halfway House. It was a really glorious morning.

20220809_100640_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Near to Ball.

20220809_114000.jpg

The Mere at Ellesmere.

20220809_115516.jpg

Vineyard at Colemere.

20220809_145845.jpg

A grander name than the road it is attached to at Ellerdine Heath.

20220809_150751_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Another break at Heath Lanes.

20220809_160800_Richtone(HDR).jpg

People enjoying the river at Atcham.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
An amalgam of a few uninspiring trips..

Yesterday I did the now-routine pre-pub loop into town on the towpath and back on the Routier, which was very pleasant if a touch warm. Saw a lot of steel represented from across the spectrum - boggo vintage Raleigh road bikes, newer cheapo student hacks and a bloke chilling with what looked like a very nice Mercian, amongst others. I reckon 50% of the bikes I saw were steel - which was heartening :smile:

Today I had a collection to make from a client in Abingdon (about 17 miles round trip on paper), making the journey by bike being a fairly easy sell to the gaffer since the wage cost of the extra journey time was more than offset by the petrol I'd not be claiming for. For this task I slung the Fuji in the back of the car as I'd not trust (or enjoy) the Routier over this distance.

The ride turned out to be not a whole lot of fun; the route was OK in itself but I was tired, legs and back ached and the heat was pretty stifling.. while the bike was riding a bit harsh (perhaps tyre pressures or saddle), my riding was fairly ragged and there were many bellends. I had a thankfully slow tyre-to-tyre head-on with some total muppet in the park in Abingdon, who was totally absorbed in his phone, swerving within his side of the track until he got close and veered onto my side :rolleyes:

Since having bells on my other bikes I seem to have become mute when it comes to vocalising my presence to others, so will look to get another cheapie to go on the shopping hack..

Once in Abingdon I got lost and was too bloody minded to get the phone out, so eyeballed it on the head unit to eventually get where I needed to and adding a mile or two to the journey.

A few pics that at least make the ride look nicer than its reality - not that the surroundings were really at fault:

IMG_20220810_135443.jpg

IMG_20220810_135844.jpg

IMG_20220810_140759.jpg

Back in the office - a sweaty mess - I rinsed myself off with a water bottle, had a bit of a sit down then got out on the Routier to visit another client in the city for a delivery; since the Fuji wouldn't take the cargo without its rack. I got there to find the office closed but the journey wasn't wasted as I managed to score some reduced items from Sainsburys on the way back..

Being pretty wrung out I didn't do a whole lot more work for the rest of the afternoon; then got back on the Routier to meet some friends in town for a drink. Didn't feel too sociable and came away as the light started to go as I had no lights; getting a second wind on the tow path and keeping up with a bloke on a posh ebike out of sheer bloody-mindedness - as he tried to pull away but evidently hit a wall when the assistance limiter kicked in and he lacked the ability to push his bolt-upright frame through the air any faster.

After I broke off the tow path and got back onto the road I continued mashing the pedals, and accelerating out of a junction heard / felt the rear tyre start intermittently rubbing the mudguard. Glancing down confirmed that the rim was pretty convincingly buckled - evidently due to the unfeasible amount of torque I'd put through it.. :rolleyes:

Truing that will be a job for next week - although I'm half tempted to use this as an excuse to bin the chromed steel rims and have a crack at rebuilding the wheels with the cheapo alloy hoops I salvaged off an abandoned cheapo "Professional" bike some time ago as I suspect the lower mass and improved braking would be most welcome.

Having loaded the Fuji and lots of other crap back into the car I'm now finally back at home, exhausted, listening to Bauhaus, swigging vodka from the bottle and chain-smoking out the window.. hopefully tomorrow will be better although I think I need a bit of time off the bikes :rolleyes:

Last edited:

buzz22

The destination today was Kiama, a beautiful seaside town that I rode to last week, the main attraction being that it's almost exactly 100km from my house.

The sky wasn't the vivid blue it's been for my rides lately when I set off but that was ok, no rain forecast.

A quick stop for a drink at Bald Hill at the 28km mark.
20220811_110352.jpg

I continued south and along Sea Cliff Bridge...

20220811_112729.jpg

I then picked up the South Coast bike path a bit earlier than last time at Thirroul Beach and saved a bit of time and distance.
20220811_115439.jpg

I stopped for a lunch break at Wollongong, about 58km in and had a quick stretch before hitting the road again.

With good food and plenty of drinks before I knew it I could see Kiama as I rounded the corner...
20220811_143652.jpg

As I rode up the hill to the lighthouse I realised I'd only just ticked over 99km so a couple of laps of the park saw me crack the magic 100km mark.

20220811_145507.jpg

Total time was 4 hrs 42 mins at an average of a bit over 21km/h.
This was definitely quicker than last week (just over 6 hours at around 17km/h).

Familiarity with the route, a different choice of bike and minimal load carried all seemed to help save time.

Just on the train heading home now and feeling happy that the bike I rode today, my recently purchased Giant CFR3 has turned out to be such a great addition to the line up.
20220811_145653.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom