Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Little pootle this morning with the better half.

Out to the tip at Witchford to drop off a few bits and then to Mepal and along the track alongside the Hundred foot drain, then back via Little Downham.

IMG_3089.jpeg

IMG_3088.jpeg

IMG_3091.jpeg

IMG_3093.jpeg

IMG_3094.jpeg

Aaaand,,,

Very late with this but spent a couple of nights camping in Burnham Deepdale a couple of weeks ago.

Warm and airless ride up from Lynn station to the campsite, then once tent set up we pootled to Brancaster and Staithe to chill out before calling at the Jolly Sailors for a pint and Bahji burger.

Wednesday was spent heading to Creake Abbey for breakfast then a look at North and South Creake churches and then looped around to Holkham.Then on to Wells for chips and relax on the beach(got a few looks wheeling the bikes on the beach^_^).

Then back to Deepdale via Burnham Market to re-fresh and then to the sailors again for pizza, some Wherry or two and pudding.

Thursday was back to Lynn and home.

Way out ;

IMG_2980.jpeg

Sandringham gates on the way back;

IMG_3049.jpeg

Pudding and beer;

IMG_3043.jpeg

Wells;

IMG_3040.jpeg

chips!

IMG_3037.jpeg

Holkham Hall;

IMG_3036.jpeg

Cooling cover on the way to Holkham;

IMG_3031.jpeg

North Creake church door;

IMG_3016.jpeg

North Creake roof and painting;

IMG_3015.jpeg

Breakfast at Creake Abbey;

IMG_3012.jpeg

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Strong wind but warm and dry, when I set off. Decided to surf the wind and then make a call on whether to ride home or get the train. Out to Ingleton and back road to Chapel-le-Dale then over the hill to Ribblehead. As always the viaduct was magnificent and I am equally impressed with the tunnel beyond that took 3 years to make. Turned down Ribblesdale and got the measure of a stiff cross wind. Lunch at Middle Studholme farm by which time the clouds were gathering. Plan A was to head over the hill to Gargrave but the rail timetable wasn’t going to work so instead cut things short at Giggleswick. Still 38 miles or 61km with 843m of climbing. Heavens opened when I got on the train!

pictures of Ingleborough from the Chapel road and Ribblehead.

3D141BB3-4D1B-48AE-8913-FF3CC9093867.jpeg

FABEF7AC-0B12-490C-9A23-D97FCC574F72.jpeg

AndreaJ

Veteran
Somehow got talked into a long ride today up some Welsh hills that I have managed to avoid so far. Set off early to Ellesmere to meet the rest of the group to find that the person in charge of route planning this week had a problem with his rear wheel and couldn’t go. We were tempted to choose a different route with no hills which wasn’t 47 miles long but decided to stick with it !. Set off in the sunshine through Ellesmere towards Overton before heading up the first hill to Acrefair and Trevor following the river and the smell of wild garlic to Llangollen. Had a short break and chat with a couple of other cyclists who were heading up the HorseShoe pass before getting back to following the river along the valley to cross over the river to Pontcysylte passed the Aqueduct to Chirk. It was raining quite heavily now which spoilt the view a bit. Carried on to Pontfadog and Glyn Cerriog for the next climb, it wasn’t actually as bad as I thought it would be and we all got to the top before a long down hill to Selattyn.
A few busier roads into Oswestry before heading through Whittington and the last climb up The Brow and down into Ellesmere and back to the Boat House for coffee. We were pleasantly surprised that they actually let us in as we were very, very wet by now.
Managed to find some energy to head back to Welshampton, Northwood and home with an extra bit past my house to make sure it was 100km, turned out I probably didn’t need to do it 😂.
A lovely ride through some beautiful country side despite the rain. No pictures because it was too wet to see much!!
64 miles with 2319 ft of elevation gained.
Looks like the womens tour had been on some of the Stava segments in June, there are some very fast times on there!
Second ride of the week in pouring rain ☔️ .

buzz22

Über Member
20220725_124036.jpg

20220725_125038.jpg

A ride to my happy place, Bald Hill at Stanwell Park on the southern side of Sydney.
It's been a week of rain so my fresh legs carried me there easily and I was able to just relax and enjoy the view down the coast and out to the horizon.
I headed back up the hill, the lower gearing I fitted to this bike recently made the hills seem easy.
I decided to divert along to Woronora Dam on the way back and throw in some more hills- once again the lower gearing helped.
Total distance was just over 71km at an average of 20km/h, faster than I thought it would be.
My goal of a 100km ride is getting closer and I think this might be the bike I'll do it on.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
This is about my ride yesterday. Today has been devoted to steady recovery!

I had a chance to ride "out of area" as my wife is volunteering at the Commonwealth Games. Yesterday morning I dropped her at about 6:30, parked up nearby and snoozed for an hour. Once I felt sufficiently awake I headed out on my planned route, a 70 mile circumnavigation of Coventry - the longest I've attempted on the eBike so far - with the chance to pick up a couple of A-Z village signs I've wanted for a while.

NECov.jpg

Marston Jabbett at 17 miles was the first objective (see the A-Z placenames thread), after which I turned southwards into the strong breeze over the flatlands towards Draycote Water. I passed through an impressive tunnel under the canal near Brinklow:

NECov1.jpg

The paths around Draycote Water are excellent, the ones leading to and from it less so. I was a perfect place to stop for lunch, even if it was about 11am. Refreshingly full of water, and definitely a place I shall return to:

NEcov2.jpg

After leaving the lake I tracked steadily westwards, past a huge Jaguar car rally at Wappenbury and a very good-natured gentleman looking after the entrance to the car park, and eventually to my second village sign, Haseley Knob at 57 miles. I'd passed over a couple of fords quite unworthy of the name, but near Solihull I came to the real deal. While squeezing my way across the bridge a car passed through and it was quite apparent it could be cycled through without too much danger, but that isn't my idea of fun. Boring, I know:

NECov3.jpg

There are some nice paths alongside the A45 which enabled me to make the ride a true circuit. Once I'd loaded my bike into the car there was time to walk back for a bit of plane watching while I waited for my wife to call:

NECov4.jpg

Once I'd been summoned I took my wife to find her accommodation in Coventry, and once she was safely installed I headed for home. When I have the chance I always like to drive through Warwick University for old time's sake. There was a lot of activity with many staff deployed to encourage people to respect the 20 mph speed limit. After being been duly ticked off, and having apologised, I then explained that I was just passing through, recalling my time as a student between 1978 and 1981. Coupled with the bike in the car, this news made me something close to his ultimate hero. I said I was delighted to have been stopped because it meant I'd spoken to somebody and made a proper connection with the old place.

So a very good day all round. Still 37% left on the battery at the end, and I'd used it quite a bit. ⚡

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bad one today !
group ride in blustery conditions so we were taking turns at the front , after my turn i did a flick of the elbow and started to pull out of line but the rider behind had overlapped wheels and took me down into a ditch .Only a superficial scratch to the bike where the chain jammed and i have sore ribs and scratches from brambles, the one behind hit the deck hard damaging his shifter , torn jersey , road rash and badly cut knee so he had to call home for a pick up ( luckily his son was in and has a van ).2 others ran into the back of him and both had minor scratches etc.
After the injured chap was picked up we decided to reduce the length of the ride to the nearest cafe as we didnt fancy the full distance just in case and every time i got of the saddle my ribs ache .
View attachment 654145

Update , ribs very sore and 2 days later still need painkillers to manage at work so i guess i have at least bruiesed the ribs although no soft tissue bruising .

SGG on a bike

Had a nice ride out today on the Caad 8. Started from home, through Lowestoft and out towards Beccles via Ellough and a few other little villages. Out of Beccles, through Gillingham and Geldeston to Ellingham, then cross country to Loddon for a lunch stop by the river. Back towards home via Hales, Haddiscoe, St Olaves and Somerleyton (birthplace of the Hovercraft for those interested).

According to Strava, it's my longest ride, but only my .1 of a mile as I've done the same route before a few times. Slightly disappointed with the average speed, but my feeble excuse is that it was into the wind on most of the uphill bits and I haven't ridden that much this year so far, so probably not quite match fit.

IMG_2776.jpeg

Waymarker sign newly installed just outside Loddon.

IMG_2774.jpeg

buzz22

Über Member
A ride with a mate this morning out to Kurnell National Park, at the entrance to Botany Bay.
In the first photo the land to the top is La Perouse, the northern headland at the entrance. It's a couple of hundred metres away at the narrowest point but to drive around there takes around 30 minutes.
20220727_092812.jpg

20220727_092806.jpg

I was glad my mate was there to push me as the headwind was brutal at times.
My ride for the day was my 1987 Clamont, with the new Goodyear Eagle tyres I fitted yesterday doing a great job.
I managed to keep with my mate most of the time, although I think he was being polite as I'm his boss 🙂
Just under 47km at 22km/h average in those conditions was respectable, the company was the nice bit.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Some cracking, envy-courting posts in this thread as always!

Yesterday saw another quick courier trip to a client in the city, then after work the pre-pub void was filled with a fantastic, sedate waft along the tow paths, cycle tracks and streets of the city. Highlights included seeing a green woodpecker and a bit of a race from the traffic lights on the high street with some commuters; all of whom were also on ancient steel bikes you'd struggle to get £50 for on ebay :smile:

Still feel like cheating at life to get so much pleasure from old metal that's essentially worthless to so many people :becool:

IMG_20220726_173339.jpg

IMG_20220726_174811.jpg

buzz22

Über Member
Some cracking, envy-courting posts in this thread as always!

Yesterday saw another quick courier trip to a client in the city, then after work the pre-pub void was filled with a fantastic, sedate waft along the tow paths, cycle tracks and streets of the city. Highlights included seeing a green woodpecker and a bit of a race from the traffic lights on the high street with some commuters; all of whom were also on ancient steel bikes you'd struggle to get £50 for on ebay :smile:

Still feel like cheating at life to get so much pleasure from old metal that's essentially worthless to so many people :becool:

View attachment 654549

View attachment 654550

Cool old steelie, there's just something about the proportions of the older bikes that looks right. That you can ride them just about anywhere is a bonus.

Top Bottom