Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Wonderful weather again, warm, hazy with a light westerly breeze, too nice to miss especially with the hot weather approaching from tomorrow. Had a late start and hadn’t planned a route so decided on Bowland and a three hill ride. First came Jubilee Tower above Lancaster, 300 m vertically above sea level where I began. Lots of Elite Cyclists practicing for the Elite Cycle race tomorrow. Then on to the trough of Bowland before heading south along the Hodder valley. Next stop Chipping for lunch, again lots of riders taking on fuel. The third hill was Beacon Fell, a small country park with views across the Lancashire plains. 92 km or 57 miles with 1100 m of climbing.

Pictures of Trough of Bowland and Hodder Valley.

DF0EAC3B-337C-453E-8064-2A7FF329497F.jpeg

5AA4DD1A-1B68-4146-99BF-6389A7CB199A.jpeg

gavgav

Guru
An absolutely stunning day for a bike ride, before the oppressive heat comes, sunny and very warm but bearable and very little wind.

Something completely new for me also, as I’d arranged to meet some friends in Leominster and with the kids away at Scout Camp and on a sleepover, they brought bikes and we rode together for what must be the first time in about 13 years!

The drive down was fine and I’d just got changed into my cycling shoes, had a quick snack and they arrived. I’d devised a route, following much studying of maps, that was either lanes or “B” roads, but with it all being new territory you never quite know what it will be like or how many hills there would be. Amy had asked for not too many hills!

We set off out of the busy Town Centre and down some quite hilly lanes, before joining the “B” road to Choltrey, Lawton and Eardisland. Traffic was busy until we crossed the A4110 but then quietened down. Eardisland is a beautiful chocolate box village, set on the River Arrow, but the lane we wanted to turn onto (Broom Lane) had road closed signs 🤦‍♂️ We decided to risk it and see how closed it was, turned out to be fine and to be honest a car could have got down through where the cabling work was happening. How nice it was though to not have to worry about traffic.

We followed the lane through beautiful countryside, alongside the river, onto Staunton on Arrow, before turning towards Stansbatch and the first proper bit of climbing we’d encountered.

We were back onto “B” roads then, with some climbing and then a nice descent into Presteigne and indeed Wales. What had been very noticeable on the ride so far was the dreadful road surfaces. I thought Shropshire was bad enough, but it has nothing on Herefordshire, with multiple potholes and badly worn surfaces.

We skirted the outside of Presteigne and then joined another “B” road, in an Easterly direction, towards Combe and Coombes Moor. This was fabulous cycling country, flat for a good 5 miles, quiet traffic, beautiful countryside and cloudless skies. Andy remarked to me that “this is the life” and indeed it was.

Approaching Shobdon I had plotted a quiet lane to miss some busy junctions out. As we turned onto it, we found some proper hills for a mile or so, quite a pull up there and not helped by me swallowing a fly 🤢 Sounded worse than when I’m trying to do an LFT test, gagging, but some water and a cereal bar sorted me out.

We were now in Uphampton and heading for Easthampton. I almost took us past a left turn that we needed, but had been following the saved route on Strava and quickly realised before we descended the hill too far. The descent to the “B” road was fast and about the only smooth surface we found all day!

We were heading for Mortimers Cross now, a nasty and renowned junction for accidents, dog leg across the A4110, but we got across fairly easily and then had quite a climb up to Lucton and Croft, skirting the edge of the castle grounds. There was plenty of amusement though, at us being passed by “Del Boy and Rodney” (ok it wasn’t really them but a very authentic replica) in their Yellow Robin Reliant, with tannoy blasting out, closely followed by a decorated old Capri and then a gorgeous old convertible Wedding Car with the Bridge and Groom in 😆

At Yarpole we turned back onto pretty lanes again, towards Bicton and Eyton. It was quite lumpy but then a nice descent back to the main road. From there it was a flat run back into Leominster, which was heaving now.

We loaded the bikes back into cars and changed out of our sweaty clothes into something clean, before driving the short distance to the pub we’d chosen, The White Lion. It got a good write up on TripAdvisor and didn’t disappoint. We enjoyed a pint of Butty Bach and excellent home cooked food, including some of the best homemade Chips I’ve ever had, in the Beer Garden.

We parted ways having thoroughly enjoyed the day.

The ride was 29.77 miles at an avg speed of 13.2mph and just short of 1500ft of climbing, so Amy was happy that whilst we climbed a few hills, it wasn’t too hilly.

cwskas

Über Member
Today was the last of the 4 European Tour of Texas rides, the Tour de Paris! Very good turnout and I elected to do a 35 mile ride and push as hard as I could for training. I had ridden about 20 of these miles on prior weekends, and it was nice to see some different scenery.

1658006506463.png

20220716-Paris-1.jpeg

20220716-Paris-2.jpeg

20220716-Paris-3.jpeg

20220716-Paris-4.jpeg

Hills are my weakness. Today was a fairly flat route and on most of the hills I was able to maintain a cadence above 90. On the more level parts I aimed to keep my cadence 80-85. It was both enjoyable and a challenge. The temperature was quickly rising during the last 10+ miles. I only spent 15 minutes off the bike and averaged 13.7 mph. That is my fastest average I think on a ride of that length.

35.47 miles, 2:35:37 Moving Time, 1,081' elevation gain

https://www.strava.com/activities/7479880648

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Hospital visit scheduled for this afternoon, so I had all morning to get a slightly longer ride in today. Very pleased with myself as I did my first big hill (Horsepools Hill on the Gloucester to Stroud road) of the year. Can't take all the credit, as I've just changed to a 12/36 monster of a cassette, which did most of the work. Some lovely views dropping back down to Pitchcombe and Stroud through the woods with the beautiful Painswick Valley to my left:
DSCF1324.JPG

DSCF1327.JPG

As we are stuck in a long run of sunny days and heatwave conditions, I thought it appropriate to stop for a photo of St Swithun's church in Leonard Stanley:
DSCF1328.JPG

From there, I carried on with my big clockwise loop, riding out to Frocester, Cam and Slimbridge, where I stopped at the Black Shed for a really nice "small breakfast" for £6.50, which was beautifully cooked and quite sufficient:
DSCF1329.JPG

One final stop as I rode through the village of Saul. I must have passed the picnic table and bench near the village church a few hundred times over the years, but never before stopped there.
DSCF1330.JPG

Ended up having a good old chat to yet another Londoner while sat in the shade of an oak tree with a lovely cool breeze. At Epney, even more twitchers ... at least 20 of them .... were hanging around trying to catch a glimpse of the rare Caspian tern I mentioned yesterday. As ridiculous luck would have it, I had ridden past it in Frampton of Severn, where it was stood in the middle of the cricket square on the village green outside the Bell Inn .... with nobody paying it the slightest attention! I told the bird watchers at Epney about it, giving them a description of it that fitted the bill. (Unusually tall for a tern, with red beak, black tips to the wings etc) I could tell some of them thought I was winding them up, and were going to follow the herd and stay at Epney, where it wasn't. The only reason why I hadn't taken a photo of it was that, at the time, I had a huge tractor breathing down my neck so it didn't feel safe to suddenly stop.
A great ride today. 35.4 miles before the heat of the day. Off for a nice luke warm bath now.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Temps were supposed to drop to a lovely 12 degrees overnight. I was looking forward to getting up at 5am for 40 cool miles.
But with guests over late last night, and rather a lot of booze, I only went to bed at 4am!!!

It was more like 20 degrees when I finally got out at about 9:30am.
Headed slowly for the Chatley Heath Semafore Tower, one of a chain of communications facilities used to relay messages between London (Admiralty Hse) and Portsmouth docks in Napoleonic times.
1658057471250.png

It's accessible down a long-closed road that eventually is blocked by the A3/M25 roundabout.
1658057515107.png

No cars this way! Lots of lovely shade.
1658057568147.png

Motorway junction improvements will encroach on the surrounding woodland and heathland, so I wanted to have another look around whilst I had the chance.

As tarmac turned to dry mud and then deep sand, I began to regret my choice of road bike with 25mm slick tyres.
1658057930782.png

Scenery was beautiful but baked.
1658057973122.png

1658058035939.png

We've had three snakes at the allotment in the last 2 weeks but on the heath I saw nothing more exciting than mallards and dogwalkers. There was supposed to be a herd of Belties too, couldn't see them anyway, just their plentiful "evidence".

Went past RHS Wisley and then crossed over to the abandoned RAF Wisley airfield.
Always have to do a few loop-the-loops.
1658058531545.png

1658058741666.png

The wide-open expanse of concrete was a punishing 27 C already and it was only 10am. I plunged into another shady lane, only for tamac to turn into deep rutted mud. This rut was deeper than the bike!
1658058683700.png

Another selection of roads and woodland to get home, now feeling the heat.
Nearly 2 hours to do a lazy 18 miles.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
What phone (I assume your phone camera) do you use? Do you edit the pictures you post? They are very good IMO.

Thanks for the kind words. I just use my standard Motorola g phone and open them on my iPad. I do crop them and occasionally adjust the lighting. Im just lucky to live in a photogenic corner of the world where composition is easy because of the landscapes. For much of the year I do really envy the quality of your light though!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
considering the heat it was funny as we had a big turnout on a sunday .
70 miles in total to whiteacres farm cafe including boot hill in atherstone which is always fun ........., one rider had spoke go which caused the rear wheel to catch the frame and punctured his tyre which was a tubular so he had to phone for assistance whilst the rest of us plodded on through the building heat .
drank 3 bottles , a large coffee and a bottle of water and still ran out by the time we got back to the start point but luckily there is a cafe there so i blagged a refill to get home :smile:
Really starting to feel like my form is returning at last and although the shoulder was aching it didnt get any worse .
1658076078017.png

1658076144658.png

1658076179578.png

buzz22

Über Member
20220718_111200.jpg

A beautiful sunny winter's day greeted me on my first full day of annual leave so I headed from my place in the southern suburbs of Sydney to the coast. First stop was Doll's Point (above), and along a path past houses with multi million dollar views.
Once I reached the airport I turned west and followed a meandering path that runs beside the Cooks River. It was previously one of our dirtiest waterways but with a lot of regulation and work has become a lot cleaner.
20220718_115206.jpg

I was enjoying the path too much to take too many photos but had to capture this:
20220718_120447.jpg

I followed the path out to the suburb of Campsie and the boundary of the next Council- a map gave a nice view of the path's direction:
20220718_123204.jpg

My choice of ride for the day was my 1987 Repco Monaco.
I recently changed the crankset from a 1995 Shimano RSX (42-52) to a 1982 Shimano 600 Arabesque (40-52) and this was it's first outing with it.
Besides the smaller small ring I think it's one of the best looking cranksets around and suits the bike better.
It proved to be a winner, the slightly lower gearing coming in handy.

20220718_110629.jpg

Total distance was 60km in a bit over 3 hours, lovely.

theloafer

Legendary Member
not much sleep last night so i was up 3 ish .i decided to be out the door early and beat the heat ,want to go over to Barnard castle as i was told there was an other crossing point as the last few times we had a couple of close calls with cars trying to beat us over the light controlled bridge :cursing::cursing: .
just the usual way to Barny. once there i found the crossing point and there was steps ,not good with 60+lbs e-bike,but i bit of thinking outside the box and it was easy peasy .
the return leg was the same as normal route back as i wanted to beat the sun.. as it was getting very warm , managed to get 44 miles in and think i need to get more early rides in as lack of traffic was brill.
https://www.strava.com/activities/7487952137

my fav ford ...was almost tempted to try it
P1000633.JPG

P1000636 (2).JPG

P1000639.JPG

what's left of Barnard castle
P1000638.JPG

P1000644.JPG

Egglestone Abby
P1000647.JPG

P1000648.JPG

Top Bottom