Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
D095ED15-108B-4B99-BB1C-CF5218E3A7A9.jpeg

B2B2A512-C48E-4667-A83A-0A3A9B74BEE3.jpeg

4334FBF3-C710-4BC4-936A-74207FA9E1AA.jpeg

D3777F47-785A-48FC-8FBF-15EBD2964B41.jpeg

An 8 mile walk, a swim, bread baking, garden centre, roses planted…. Just enough time to jump on my bike for a Battisborough loop before cooking a bbq.

Glorious and hot, I like riding in this weather, but sadly only 11 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7440895045

Dave 123

Legendary Member
19 miles this morning keeping to shady lanes where possible. Some quite long draggy hills to keep it interesting around the back of Modbury.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7444615093

B2C99307-4DA9-4DD1-919B-1CCFEA2B262D.jpeg

9C8CB37F-29BE-41BF-B87F-6C2776DE6B5E.jpeg

2354D1EE-DEA6-4092-BF7F-D5B3C7D5889F.jpeg

This was less a case of “my ride today” and more a case of “my rides last week” but as I was working to reasonably tight schedules, I didn’t really have time to update in real time!

Last Monday some friends and I set off on our long overdue trip to France and Belgium to follow a few stages of the tour, so it was a case of parking up at Dover, then riding straight off the boat t’other side of the drink.

Day 1’s ride was a lumpy and (head)windy affair along the coastal road from Calais to Boulogne (where stage 4 finished the following day) but with fresh legs, beautiful sunshine and everyone in high spirits this didn’t deter us one bit. We found a little place on a square on the edge of Boulogne and had a cheeky beer or two to toast the start of the trip before a long climb back to the digs. A quick turn around and we were off out to the Buffalo grill across the road for some long overdue sustenance (and a few more beers!) before turning in.

631DF5AA-8036-438B-B2D8-12F3F75CD915.jpeg

C55DB15C-0956-45FB-B559-CE82C9F1C265.jpeg

6D443519-8BCD-4CE3-A4BE-BD5F9989A42E.jpeg

Day 2 was another windy and lumpy affair- or at least for part of it- as we made our way inland towards the next stop at Bethune, but catching stage 4 at Remilly-Wirquin beforehand. It wasn’t our plan to watch from here but the gendarmes had closed the road earlier than anticipated which stopped us from getting to where we wanted to be, though not before having a sprint off with my mate to the top of the KOM and through the banner first to rapturous applause by the roadside crowd! 🤣
After a mini detour we found a perfectly placed little tabac and indulged in a few beers and snacks as we waited and eventually watched the caravan and then the tour roll through right by us. Tour pushing on, it was soon time for us to do the same and get to another little bar closer to Bethune to watch the finish, though not without a little more climbing first before it really flattened off. Arriving in Bethune in the evening, it was another quick turn around, chow down and turn in for the night again.

F9E180C5-B3F0-48CF-AC35-E3C235D46F3C.jpeg

Day 3 was a flat jaunt over to Valenciennes, but taking in sector 5 of the cobbled section of stage 5 of the Tour. As we left Bethune and tanked it through towns and villages to get to the cobbles the locals were in fine form, cheering us on from the sidelines! Eventually getting to the cobbled sector, we settled in ready to catch the action. Arriving well ahead of time we picked a great spot in the shade and with a perfect viewpoint! As they thundered through you could almost touch the riders, there was dust flying everywhere and the crowd was roaring! It was soon time to head off again, though not without seeing Geraint Thomas’ gilet passing through, the lucky recipient of that in the form of a little toddler being towed in a carrier on the back of Dad’s bike! 🥰
Arriving in Valenciennes, we once again, cleaned up, got food and turned in for the night.
AD0E2353-9D61-475F-BDB3-FF1BBD96F0AB.jpeg

B0EE5FEE-474D-4E60-98DC-4F4D99FD72A4.jpeg

0F7EC1E2-78AD-4FA9-808D-4705EBF49154.jpeg

Day 4 and it was time to head into Belgium, specifically to Binche where stage 6 was starting from. This would be the last stage we followed, as the tour was heading south and we needed to start turning our tour back north ultimately towards Dunkirk. The excitement quickly dissipated as the otherwise brilliant weather turned sour. Cloudy, overcast and somewhat drizzly at times, the depressing weather was only matched by the scenery as we crossed into Belgium. Flat long straight roads lined both sides with run down terraced houses, poorly surfaced, bike lanes shocking, we were not impressed as we arrived into Binche. Binche itself was lovely it has to be said and the atmosphere was great as we soaked in the start of the tour, viewing team buses and catching the pros making their way to the introduction. A few small beers later, tour started, we made the short trip back down the same old crappy roads with the same crappy scenery back to our next port of call in Mons where we would stay the night. Mons is a nice city in an otherwise depressing area, the evidence of industrial decline in the Wallonia region all too plain to see. We had loads of downtime to take in the place, eat drink and be merry and all that.

E97EC9B8-2C5E-4D9B-A6A0-452B690BB0A0.jpeg

Day 5 saw us move out early from the dreary Wallonia region and northwards into Flanders and the city of Kortrijk. The weather, scenery and our moods improved vastly as we started to see some the best of what Belgium has to offer. Stunning roads and scenery and much more patient drivers than in Wallonia. There were a lot of main roads on the planned route and so we ended up deviating, whilst remaining parallel to the main roads so we knew we were going the right way. The last ten miles or so into Kortrijk were on a well paved cycle path, well used by other cyclists and walkers, firstly running right alongside a river before turning away towards the city itself. We arrived in the mid afternoon, which gave us ample time to turn ourselves round and head out for food and a few “last night cold ones.” until 1am 😬🥴🤣

Day 6 was travel home day, waking up at 5am, dressed and ready to head to the station by 7am to catch a train up to De Panne on the north coast. A little “delicate,” 🥴 we snoozed on the train and arrived in De Panne a little after 8:30. From here it was a short 20 mile pan flat ride back over the border into France and the ferry port of Dunkirk. As we were quite early we stopped off in town after 10 miles, filled our hung over faces and realised if we got a wriggle on we could get the earlier ferry back to Dover than the planned 2pm one and so we tanked it the last ten miles to the port to catch it.

All in all this was a great trip with fantastic friends and many memories made! Around 260 miles overall over the week- a good laugh start to finish and great weather throughout! Can’t wait for the next one!

View: https://youtu.be/NYoAQgUDufQ

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I started a self-imposed mileage challenge at the start of the month .... to ride a minimum of 10 miles every day for the duration of the Tour de France. My post covid fitness is definitely improving, and everything was going swimmingly until yesterday, when my bottom bracket went. Cue frantic Saturday afternoon calls around the remaining bike repair shops of Gloucester. Got the bike into Mitchell's before they closed, and will be without No.1 bike until Tuesday or Wednesday. So this morning's job was to set up No.2 bike for the next few days' riding. Headed off out towards Frampton, calling in at all riverside stops on the way.
First up .... Stonebench ..... just after the Severn estuary narrows considerably (though is still tidal). At this point, the road often floods, and I have witnessed one car having its wheels washed by the Severn bore:
DSCF1311.JPG

After nipping to the river bank at Weir Green, the next stop was near the Anchor Inn in Epney. (View towards Framilode, with the Forest of Dean in the background):
DSCF1313.JPG

A cyclist coming the other way warned me that the canal bridge at Frampton was broken, so I hung a left at Saul Junction and rode to the bottom end of Frampton village green to cross back at Splatt Bridge and throw in a bit of off-roading along the canal path, stopping for a shot of Frampton Church:
DSCF1314.JPG

No.2 bike was going nicely. Quick, positive gear changes, silent pedalling, comfortable saddle. I only wish the handle bars were a little wider. Must do something about that. I was enjoying it so much that I threw in an extra loop along the riverside between Priding and Fretherne. A great little ride in fantastic sunshine.
Obligatory selfie:
DSCF1317.JPG

So much for 10 miles a day! After the first 10 days, I'm averaging over 20, having done 207.6 miles so far. This whole little-and-often thing is definitely the way to go to boost your mileage.

Now that's warm!
Mix of tow path (ah, shade) and road (yoinks) earlier today on a 19 mile loop of the Llangollen area.
20220710_144106.jpg

Dee valley in background, some of the lanes around the valley are just stunning on a day like this.
20220710_142814.jpg

Llangollen was busy as expected, didn't stop for too long. I was here without the bike a couple of weeks ago, it was chilly and lashing it down, pub food/ale on the left was very nice though ^_^

geocycle

Legendary Member
Wonderful day so headed out to Dent. Backroads to Kirby Lonsdale and had a nosy at Devils Bridge. Too early in the day for divers into the river but lots of bikers fuelling on bacon. Then up to fabulous Dentdale. through The first gated road and on to my favourite bench, then early lunch in Dent itself. Paid homage to the Sedgwick statue, commemorating the father of stratigraphy As I passed through the cobbled village. Then the monster climb up Deepdale to Kingsdale, north to south is definitely harder than the opposite especially when it is really hot. I needed several photo pauses and another gate but got to the top. Descent through Kingsdale was great, nobody around and lovely views. Stopped for a milkshake in Ingleton then backroads home. A grand day out. 100 km with 1360m of climbing.

pictures of view from Devil’s Bridge, my favourite bench and Dentdale, nice waterfall heading up Deepdale and Kingsdale.

4A9AFBE5-F59F-4657-887B-788A4F062755.jpeg

DCAECDB8-5EA8-4A18-A885-2CF611C774D7.jpeg

6ED9084E-0770-4DF0-AC95-BB7CFE8F148B.jpeg

9DCF4B69-BDB9-4376-8EFA-B5D57B24C44D.jpeg

1891AD58-F34E-4532-B62D-F6D28C203286.jpeg

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was already getting very warm at 8am here this morning as I set off to Ellesmere to meet the rest of today’s group, the ride down being made more interesting than usual by a few classic cars also heading to Ellesmere for a show by the Mere.
There was no route planned which is never good as it then usually involves hills! With one of the group recovering from a fall we decided to make it up as we went depending on how he was feeling.
We set off out of Ellesmere into Wales towards Overton before turning off to Knolton and up a hill to St Martins. Through the town to Gobowen and Whittington carrying on past the castle before turning off on to some quiet lanes to West Felton. Back onto a busier road to Rednal where we headed back to Hordley and along a lane I’ve never been down to Kenwick which had a lovely view over Whitemere. A joint decision to take a longer way back past Colemere, Newton Mere and Kettle Mere before arriving back in Ellesmere for coffee overlooking the Mere, which looked almost good enough for a quick paddle to cool off😂 before heading home. A very hot 46 miles @ 15.9 mph which suggests that the injured rider is almost back to normal! A great route including Shropshire and Wales with a castle, 4 Meres and a canal on a gorgeous summer morning.

gavgav

Guru
Cricket was cancelled today, due to the opposition not being able to raise a side, typical on a rare perfect day of weather for it, so I took the opportunity to get out for my longest ride of the year so far.

I set out just after 10 and it was already very warm, as I followed cycle paths up to Sundorne and then the old railway path to Uffington, before joining roads to Upton Magna and Withington. I was slowly reeling a rider in, on the downhill section but he saw me and decided to put a spurt on then!

I paused at Walcot Mill, for the first of many much needed drink stops of the day.
00211D70-0ADC-4D48-88AB-3848DE826819.jpeg

There was climbing to do next, up to Charlton and then along the lane to Wrockwardine, which was very quiet. After the village I paused for a snack and took the opportunity to snap the Wrekin in the glorious weather
2F3D53D6-1369-44FB-BED5-521AA1953742.jpeg

I crossed the old A5 and then enjoyed the section to Eaton Constantine and the descent to Cressage, where a family had somehow contrived to get a canoe wedged between a tree and the stile they were trying to get it over, still half in the road 🤦‍♂️!

I had a short section on the A458 up the hill, but it was quiet and I was then back on lanes around past Kenley estate and down towards Harley. It was properly hot now, as I turned along the Roman lane towards Hughley, which as normal was busy with traffic and they weren’t well behaved either, particularly the chap towing a caravan at speed who forced me off the road into the undergrowth 😡

I stopped at Church Preen, for a snack and a text to dad to see if he would be in later on, for me to call in, which he was. The steady climb along to Gretton and Cardington felt like hard work in the heat and then the climb up to Enchmarsh was a pull, but the fast descent down to Comley was great fun and with there being hardly a breath of wind it was a good fast run to Longnor and Ryton, hardly seeing a car for miles as well.

I arrived at Dads, feeling very hot by now, with the temperature reaching 28c and so was glad of a couple of glasses of Vimto and the Egg Custard he had ready for me 😋

I set back out into the heat and the legs were feeling quite stiff by now, as I’d done almost 80 miles over the last 2 days, so took it steady to Exfords Green and Annscroft. I turned onto the main road there, back towards Shrewsbury and it was worse than a rush hour with streams of traffic. Bemuses me how many people want to be in a car on a day like this 🤷‍♂️

I followed the cycle path back from Meole and home with 46.3 miles on the clock at 12.8mph avg.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Got out for a cheeky extra ride this afternoon as Mrs T away.

Managed nearly 60 miles and 1500m climbing, and consumed 4 litres of water. The Peak District looking stunning including the awesome view of the White Peak from Axe Edge:

20220710_155429.jpg

Have to confess to wimping in Whaley and taking the A6 home rather than a final hill and down the Brickworks. Also regretted it, I'd forgotten how hideous the A6 is.

cwskas

Über Member
Yesterday, I went down to Kerrville for another ride with some friends. We planned a 730 am start to get as much riding done as possible before it got too hot.

First a screenshot of my bike computer's record of the road temperature superimposed over the elevation profile and trip time.
20220709-Kerrville-01s.jpeg

All of these pictures were taken during the first couple hours. Next time I think we might want to start at 530 am! Texas is in a serious drought this year, but it was nice to see how active the animals were and some nice scenery.

44 miles, 3h53m moving, 1898' of altitude gain.

20220709-Kerrville-02.jpeg

20220709-Kerrville-04.jpeg

20220709-Kerrville-08.jpeg

20220709-Kerrville-06.jpeg

20220709-Kerrville-09.jpeg

20220709-Kerrville-10.jpeg

20220709-Kerrville-12.jpeg

20220709-Kerrville-14.jpeg

20220709-Kerrville.jpeg

Actually Saturday, and with Mrs DCB volunteering with The Wave Project on Watergate Bay, I zipped off to Padstow to ride the Camel Trail. Bad time of day to get started, about 1.30. Rather warm...
Uneventful, except for the heat and uncooperative electronics. One thing I'm not used to is continuous flat riding. I expect rests on the downhill bits! Does wonders for average speed,though.
Having got past Bodmin on the Wenfordbridge section, I'd had enough. Despite plenty of hydration and snacks, I'd run out of oomph. Sat for a bit in some shade and got the phone doing Mapmyride properly, power management issues using a Huawei P20 Pro, as my S7 Edge had died suddenly the day before.
Didn't really help except to give me a rough idea of things. Made one more longer stop about 25 minutes later, then a quick rest in Wadebridge. Then back to Padstow and the car, which had developed a fault. Phone, car, grrrr. Car still drove, so back to Watergate and a very welcome cup of tea. Then clean up and change, meal at Wax with the rest of the volunteers, then home. Definitely some some signs of heat exhaustion!
Worked out at just over 25 miles, avg of 12.3mph, very quick for me!

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm feeling mostly better after my bout of covid (even if my test this morning was still faintly positive:secret:) so having walked the dog early I thought I could still get a ride in before it got too hot.

Nothing special; just a lap round familiar roads to Acton Burnell on the knockabout bike. I was aiming to take it easy, especially as it was quite warm already when I set out. Not too much traffic about, which was good as I headed through Condover to Ryton and Longnor.

I'd been considering doing the shorter version of the route but on the way to Acton Burnell I felt good and was going fairly well - not well enough to keep up with a cyclist who overtook on the climb to Frodesley, but then I doubt I'd have kept up on this bike even if I'd been on top form.

A right in the village took me past Concord College then to Cound Moor on very quiet roads, which stayed like that through Harnage, Cound (still the Jubilee flag flying) and on towards Pitchford. I dismissed the idea of extending the route again at Cantlop and took the direct way to Condover to retrace my steps. The wind had been light all ride but was a tailwind for the run up to the A49 so I got along quicker than I would have expected.

22.6 miles this time at 13.4 mph average. I had been taking it easy - honest.:shy:

20220711_105832.jpg

20220711_111602.jpg

Top Bottom