Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Up and out early this morning for another 25 miler before the heat of the day. No.2 bike running beautifully, birds twittering everywhere, blue skies, minimal wind. Lovely.
First up, out to the canal bridge at the bottom end of the village green in Frampton on Severn. It isn't actually on the Severn .... despite the name. In this shot of the canal bridge you can see the river in the background, between the marshes and the Forest of Dean:
69.JPG

On the way back, I fancied a detour up a public bridleway that I'd recently noticed has a blue bicycle sign on it. Nothing wrong with a bit of gravel track or off-roading when you are rolling on Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, so I went for it, hoping to emerge somewhere near Moreton Valence on the A38.
70 Bridleway to nowhere.JPG

I got about half a mile down the track when it delivered me at the gates of what appeared to be an abandoned farmhouse. Only the presence of a satellite dish suggested it might still be lived in. Apart from a Neighbourhood Watch sign, there was absolutely no signage as to the bridle way, and there was nothing to suggest it was OK to go any further. So I turned back and took my usual road instead. Worth a try. That's 232.5 miles so far in July @ 21.1 miles per day.

Looking forward to getting No.1 bike back from the workshop, but pleasantly surprised how nice No.2 is to ride after not riding it at all last year. (Shouldn't be surprised, as it did after all get me up Bealach na Ba and several big Alps in its glory days). It's a bit like getting in touch with an old friend you haven't met for ages.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The ride yesterday might have been a bit too much, too soon.:heat: Feeling quite washed out today. Will try again tomorrow, all being well.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well, that didn't end well. So much for riding my bike every day during the TdF. I had just started to think I'd get in 500 miles during the Tour when real life went and got in the way. No cycling today. Spent the first 8 hours of the day in A&E with my wife after she experienced a dangerous heart rate all last night. When I got home from the hospital I was on alert waiting to hear when/whether she was going to be allowed home. Went back in this evening to find that she is being kept in overnight ... still in A&E. The good news is that they appear to finally be getting a handle on how to balance her various medications, and she was looking very much better than when I left her at lunchtime.

Oh, well, 282.8 miles done in the first 13 days of the month. Not too shabby. And I'm sure I'll get out again for a few short rides in what remains of the month once Mrs D and I are happy that she is safe to be left on her own for an hour or so. I have been reminded that there are more important things in life than cycling.

gavgav

Guru
Well, that didn't end well. So much for riding my bike every day during the TdF. I had just started to think I'd get in 500 miles during the Tour when real life went and got in the way. No cycling today. Spent the first 8 hours of the day in A&E with my wife after she experienced a dangerous heart rate all last night. When I got home from the hospital I was on alert waiting to hear when/whether she was going to be allowed home. Went back in this evening to find that she is being kept in overnight ... still in A&E. The good news is that they appear to finally be getting a handle on how to balance her various medications, and she was looking very much better than when I left her at lunchtime.

Oh, well, 282.8 miles done in the first 13 days of the month. Not too shabby. And I'm sure I'll get out again for a few short rides in what remains of the month once Mrs D and I are happy that she is safe to be left on her own for an hour or so. I have been reminded that there are more important things in life than cycling.

Hope all is well with Mrs D soon

gavgav

Guru
I got out for a short ride in the evening sunshine, but with an annoying blustery wind blowing again.

I decided to do a loop around Shrewsbury Town, which I’d not done for a while, in an anti clockwise direction.

I followed the cycle paths up towards Heathgates and then joined the roads down through Castlefields and Sydney Avenue, onto the towpath alongside the River Severn. I was into the wind when travelling North West, which was hard going, but quieter than I expected along there.

I went into the Quarry and along the main avenue until I reached metal fences blocking the way and realised they were setting up the stage and site amenities for the Madness concert that is happening this weekend there. Suggs will have plenty of space on the stage as it is huge!

So, I had to drop down across the grass and onto the narrower path that runs nearer the riverbank to Porthill Bridge. I walked the bike across there and then climbed up into Porthill itself, before rejoining cycle paths to Shelton.

As I turned South East I enjoyed the wind behind me through the hospital grounds and then the new estate at Mytton Oak, which with the nice smooth new tarmac was giving good speed and I knocked a good 20 seconds off my Strava segment best.

I then followed Mousecroft Lane and the dreadful road surface to Nobold, before looping through Meole Village and home with 12.79 miles clocked at 12.5mph avg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

sometimes you have to step back and realize things are more important than a bike ride , gws soon to the boss .

buzz22

Über Member
Riding time has been limited with school holidays, family time and wet weather so I took the opportunity today to get out and hit some hills.
20220715_135449.jpg

My Giant CFR 3 got a workout- I recently changed my crankset to a later 105 crankset and took advantage of the 39 tooth ring to replace the 42 on the previous setup.
Much nicer on the hills, slightly lower all round gearing but for what I set the bike up for it's perfect.
20220715_140913.jpg

I'm happy with the RSX brakes, they perform well and I love the polished clean finish on them, the same as the RSX downtube shifters I converted it to.
20220715_140904.jpg

Overall it was a lovely afternoon on a bike that I really enjoy riding, the 1 x 7 drivetrain making things simple and quiet so I can enjoy the scenery at a slightly slower pace. Without the option to shift onto the bigger ring it's about using what I have.
40km at an average of 20km/h is nothing special but suited the day.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As always some cracking photos of the joys of the English countryside in summer; I'm suitably envious of all of you who live in more interesting parts of the country :smile:

The last week has seen an unprecedented amount of rides in recent times, even if each has been relatively short. After last Thursday's very beneficial 20-ish mile thrash on the CdF I also managed to get out for a cool one on a similar route Friday evening and a little 16 mile pootle Sunday evening. Unfortunately all were driven by the urge to repent / recover from the resultant grottyness of impulsively indulging various unhealthy habits over the weekend..

Given the heat it's been necessary to push the rides back later into the day; I've witnessed some fantastic sunsets and it's been novel to do a bit of night riding as it's always something I aspire to do (fewer cars and gloriously quiet back roads) but rarely manage.

Tuesday saw the need to visit a client on the other side of the city so I managed to get about 10 miles in on the Routier down the tow path and through town in the relatively cool overcast morning; which was sublime. Last night I met a couple of mates in the city for a drink so again pressed the bike into action and once more it felt fantastic cruising back along the flat of the tow path at a constant, effortless 90rpm in the cool evening air :smile:

As usual it felt great to get some utility use out of the old rotter around the city, if as always tinged with sadness that I can't be there all the time. I guess I'm lucky to have work / friends in the city which allows me to spend a reasonable amount of time there.

In the past week I've done around 95 recreational and utility miles, which is the most I've managed for a long time. I'm occasionally reminded that my legs are still recovering but I feel a lot better for it, and for the first time in a long time have that underlying sense of having reached a steady-state where the consistant exercise is noticeably contributing to maintaining my physical and mental health :smile:

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
The shortest of short rides today .... got a new and very different bike to anything i’ve ever ridden before.
So a short ride to see how platform pedals work, suspension, big wheels and tyres and a huge cassette.
fullsizeoutput_4a9.jpeg

The new bike ... never ridden a MTB before, all a bit strange;
1. I’ve been clipped in for the last 40 years .... and i’ll be staying that way ... SPD’s for life !
2. Suspension over the bumps was weird but good, locked out even better.
3. Big wheels and tyres need more pressure, 29er.
4. Huge Cassette, i love the huge cassette.
5. Quick release seat clamp needs replacing with a fixed clamp.

Sheffield and Tinsley canal this morning.
20220716_081846.jpg

Sheffield and Tinsley canal this morning.
20220716_083127.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

Very best wishes for improved health to Mrs D.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A couple of rides:

Wednesday: Having had a rest day I headed out again and decided to do a route round the Pulverbatch area. It's a bit hilly but it's one where I know I can't go fast so find it easier to resist the temptation to press on.

The weather wasn't as hot as it had been on Monday which helped. I headed over Lyth Hill to start and dropped down on the Annscroft side then rode round to Exford's Green and Stapleton. It was nice to see a handful of cyclists out including someone on a recumbent trike.

It's a long and fairly steady climb to Church Pulverbatch which I took gently and enjoyed. The road was a little busier than I'm used to, but that still only amounted to about five vehicles.:laugh: Reaching Pulverbatch (Castle Pulverbatch strictly speaking, but not many of the signs say that now) I would usually take the main road to Longden but thought I'd extend it a bit this time and head the long and lumpy way round Broom Hill to Wentnall then to Oaks.

At Oaks I was feeling good so took the longer way through Plealey which is a good descent but a bit too narrow and twisty to really let the bike go. From Plealey I thought I'd go through Longden and again extended the ride by going along Summerhouse Lane to connect to Long Lane and Exford's Green.

I needed to get over Lyth Hill again and did consider going along Green Lane (a bridleway) but thought I might be pushing my luck with that so headed to Hunger Hill and Little Lyth instead.

A fraction under 22 miles at 11.7 mph average. Nice to get out and I felt okay after this one.

20220713_112413_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A drink stop on the way to Pulverbatch. It was a great day to be out.

20220713_114946.jpg

Wrentnall.

20220713_120812.jpg

Longden.

20220713_122013.jpg

Rounding the foot of Lyth Hill as I head for Hunger Hill.

20220713_123113.jpg

The view from Lyth Hill. It's been really dry in Shropshire recently.

-----------------------------------------------------

Thursday: I didn't have a lot of time to spare so aimed to do the reverse of my long route to Acton Burnell. The Raleigh hasn't been out for a while so I went for that. Dry, warm and sunny again but it was a bit more breezy this time and from the northwest so I knew I'd be riding back into it later on.

I had a good run to Condover with the wind at my back then it didn't hinder much along Lyons Lane as I headed for Berrington then Cross Houses. The A458 wasn't too busy which was nice and I had the wind helping out of the village, which was great. By the time I reached Cound I was making a pretty respectable average speed and still had the tailwind helping up the climb to Harnage.^_^

I took it a bit easier on the way to Cound Moor and didn't rush at the short but sharp climb on the way to Acton Burnell. Getting along well to Frodesley encouraged me to push on a bit more then at Longnor I turned back into the wind and knew about it! From here through Ryton to Condover is mostly downhill which helped but afterwards it's flatter and was directly into the wind which wasa struggle this time. I'm used to being able to cruise along to the A49 at mostly about 18 or 20 mph without too much trouble. This time I was down on the drops, pushing hard and only able to manage 13 mph.

23.9 miles at 14.7 mph average. I felt pretty strong during the ride but realised I'd gone a bit too quick afterwards, so Friday was another rest day.

20220714_133706.jpg

Just the one snap from this ride, taken at a drink stop near Berrington.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Got up early today and hit the road while the breeze was still cool and the sun hadn't started to really do its thing. Got in a fairly quick (for me) 29 miler out to Arlingham and Frampton via the banks of the Severn at Epney. A few times lately I've noticed a whole bunch of twitchers hanging around Epney, and it was the same again today. On the way to Arlingham, I also spotted a few vans parked at the side of the road with surf boards, and people changing into wetsuits. Must be a Severn bore on the way. At Arlingham it looked like there had been a bit of wild camping going on ....
DSCF1321.JPG

Hope it is not a very high tide today, or those campervans will be found floating around somewhere between Gloucester and the Severn Bridge. Back at Epney, I stopped to enquire about all the bird watching. It turned out that, yes indeed a bore was due later on at 11.00, but that they were all there to try to catch sight of a Caspian tern. Not sure how you distinguish a Caspian one from any other tern variety. Perhaps they squawk in a Russian accent?
DSCF1323.JPG

Anyway, back nearer to home I came across an elderly cockney chap on a bike who warned me about a swan in the road. There was indeed a big swan standing in the middle of the road and making all the traffic put one wheel in the ditch to get round him! We got chatting, and it turned out that he was a keen bird spotter, so I told him about the Caspian tern at Epney. He said he might drive down there to take a look, so I mentioned the Severn bore .... which he had never seen before, and which he was keen to see. While we were chatting, I also mentioned the exceptional collection of Jack Russell cricket art in the Anchor Inn near the viewpoint in Epney. It only turned out that he was also a longstanding cricket enthusiast and one-time drinking buddy of a certain Dennis Compton! Funny how a chance meeting with a random stranger can end up with you letting him know about three things he was really keen to investigate. The tidal bore, the paintings and the Caspian tern. I guess every good tern really does deserve another.:whistle: (Sorry).

Another great ride, and back in time to shower and change and head off for visiting time at the hospital.

Last edited:
Top Bottom