Decisions - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I've been fortunate to have just had a wee inheritance which means I can now buy my dream bike; a Paris Galibier from Condor Cycles. Frameset @ £2500, then maybe about another £1200 - £1500 for the selected rims, drivetrain etc., probably £5000 tops. certainly less than some off the peg bikes - !
However - ! Being a boringly sensible lad, I currently have a 40 year old Dawes Fox framed bike which has been upgraded with quality drivetrain, handbuilt rims etc. and is a joy to ride. Much as I love the idea of having one, I'm thinking what could a Galibier bring to me that the Fox doesn't already do - ? Also, without selling our two now unused Marin Alpine Trails, we don't really have the space for another bike; they all live in the house ( ! :whistle: ) and when would I use the Galibier instead of the Fox - ? :blush:
Thoughts from yourselves - ? ! ^_^

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Reminded of that joke when asking the way in Ireland; the reply being “ I wouldnt start from here”
if I were spending a wedge, I’d get Richard Hallett to make me another. He’s aa good as the Italians.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
You only live once 👍 If it's your dream bike & you're in a position to live the dream, go for it. For my 50th I was able to purchase my dream bike, probably cost me a similar amount by the time I'd finished. I never thought I'd actually spend so much on a bike, but I love it & don't regret the purchase. Only problem you'll have is finding another bike to dream about :laugh:

Sharky

Guru
I've had very similar thoughts and similar inheritance. Although I am more than happy to keep upgrading them with better wheels etc, can't justify adding another complete bike to the stable.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
when asking the way in Ireland
And that reminds me of a cycle trip I once took from Larne to Rosstrevor in 1967, way before Satnavs etc.. Just outside Belfast, we stopped to ask a wee manny the way to Lisburn, a town about eight miles southwest of Belfast. He said 'Well, I've heard of Lisbon, but Lisburn, no, can't help you.':laugh:
However, we got there - ! ^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

Go for it, make the new bike your summer bike and the fox your winter bike, having been given the opportunity if you don't take it you'll always be thinking what if.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If it's your consuming passion and desire go for it but I think I know what's going through your mind. You need to justify it to yourself. I'm a bit like that.
' What is this going to add to my cycling?' Answer is not much but if it's going to give you pleasure and not just for the sake of spending the money then why not?

I've been fortunate to have just had a wee inheritance which means I can now buy my dream bike; a Paris Galibier from Condor Cycles. Frameset @ £2500, then maybe about another £1200 - £1500 for the selected rims, drivetrain etc., probably £5000 tops. certainly less than some off the peg bikes - !
However - ! Being a boringly sensible lad, I currently have a 40 year old Dawes Fox framed bike which has been upgraded with quality drivetrain, handbuilt rims etc. and is a joy to ride. Much as I love the idea of having one, I'm thinking what could a Galibier bring to me that the Fox doesn't already do - ? Also, without selling our two now unused Marin Alpine Trails, we don't really have the space for another bike; they all live in the house ( ! :whistle: ) and when would I use the Galibier instead of the Fox - ? :blush:
This will probably get me kicked off the forum^_^

Assuming a budget of 5k and two bikes that you're not sure are substantially different, how about spending that money on taking the Dawes somewhere really special?😊

Any place you've ever wanted to tour? 5k could bring you a lot of places, or let you live in luxury on some routes.:becool:
Always better to spend on experiences than things in my opinion.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Being a boringly sensible lad, I currently have a 40 year old Dawes Fox framed bike which has been upgraded with quality drivetrain, handbuilt rims etc. and is a joy to ride. Much as I love the idea of having one, I'm thinking what could a Galibier bring to me that the Fox doesn't already do - ?....

I'm thinking the limiting factor on your Dawes is now the frame, which on the Fox is plain guage hi-tensile, so not particularly light even though it rides well.
Given that you have put time & effort into assembling a decent set of mechanical components on the Fox, what I would do personally is search out a nice secondhand 531 butted frame, which should be a couple of pounds lighter than the one on the Fox, and swap over all the quality mechanical kit. That way, for the price of a secondhand bike/frame you could put together a very nice machine. Given that you like the way the Fox rides, and it's essentially a touring geometry frame, how about transferring the bits to a Galaxy frame, or a Raleigh Royal or Randonneur? Comfort-wise, my favourite bike is my Raleigh Royal, and configured for fair weather rides minus mudguards and rack, it weighs less than 26 lbs on a 23 1/2" frame. I wouldn't describe it as sporty, but it can be surprisingly quick when I'm in the mood to get a move on rather than just pootle along.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
This will probably get me kicked off the forum^_^

Assuming a budget of 5k and two bikes that you're not sure are substantially different, how about spending that money on taking the Dawes somewhere really special?😊

Any place you've ever wanted to tour? 5k could bring you a lot of places, or let you live in luxury on some routes.:becool:
Always better to spend on experiences than things in my opinion.

I’ve read psychologists saying that spending on experiences brings more satisfaction / happiness than on things. I’ve also been impressed by some young people I meet who aren’t materialistic, but who travel, hike, dive, climb etc, certainly pursuing experiences.

I’ve tried to work out what that means to me and find the boundaries quite blurred. My best bike cost less than half that budget, with a wheel upgrade. Yet it has led to some great experiences and that’s what I remember it for, what I have done on it.

I’ve had a busy few weeks and spent a few hours at the weekend wandering about taking photos to relax. Ive spent a couple of hours since organising and processing them. I couldn’t have had that experience if I didn’t have the camera kit / laptop. Even the youngsters I referred to above will buy good quality outdoor kit, expensive sleeping bags, lightweight tents, good boots etc.

So I suppose there is a balance; the spending on planes, ferries, accommodation, and for some people time off to get there, but you also need to spend on the equipment to enjoy it.

I’m probably lucky enough to be able to do a bit of both. I’m also lucky that my preferred experiences aren’t expensive. I’d rather be on a campsite in France, cycling into town to see a cathedral, than staying in a fancy hotel.

albal

Guru
Just to add. Back in 2012 I spent around 3.5k on riding the Transam. Bike cost a tenner, heavy old school atb. Upgraded by about £800. Wheels, drivetrain etc. Loved the fact I got across without any big issues, x2 broken spokes being the biggest. 0 flats. Anyway I agree experience worth the cost.

Top Bottom