Decisions - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve read psychologists saying that spending on experiences brings more satisfaction / happiness than on things. I’ve also been impressed by some young people I meet who aren’t materialistic, but who travel, hike, dive, climb etc, certainly pursuing experiences.

I’ve tried to work out what that means to me and find the boundaries quite blurred. My best bike cost less than half that budget, with a wheel upgrade. Yet it has led to some great experiences and that’s what I remember it for, what I have done on it.

I’ve had a busy few weeks and spent a few hours at the weekend wandering about taking photos to relax. Ive spent a couple of hours since organising and processing them. I couldn’t have had that experience if I didn’t have the camera kit / laptop. Even the youngsters I referred to above will buy good quality outdoor kit, expensive sleeping bags, lightweight tents, good boots etc.

So I suppose there is a balance; the spending on planes, ferries, accommodation, and for some people time off to get there, but you also need to spend on the equipment to enjoy it.

I’m probably lucky enough to be able to do a bit of both. I’m also lucky that my preferred experiences aren’t expensive. I’d rather be on a campsite in France, cycling into town to see a cathedral, than staying in a fancy hotel.
I’ve been spending on things this year as I can’t spend on holidays, ie experiences (including super dull stuff like
garden fencing!). I ended up with about 3k that I didn’t spend on a planned holiday in May and I worked through that time earning money that I wouldn’t have. That said I’ve probably brought in a bit more selling bikes this year than buying!

Top Bottom