decoupler on Trek Domanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Does anyone know exactly how these work and will they affect the life of the bike?

I am considering one as my next bike.It wont be a "Sunday Best" it will be used and abused in all weathers.And will have to last me long term.

PpPete

Legendary Member
At the seat tube / top tube join "Rather than a solid connection, the tubes are pinned together with a pivot that lets the frame flex"
(From bikeradar)
I imagine they will have done sort of fatigue testing on it......probably equivalent to several decades of riding for the average punter.
And as a US company they will be very wary of Product Liability claims so I'd have though it ought to be a reasonably safe bet.

As an alternative for comfort I saw a Roubaix the other day which has an interesting seat post, with a big zig-zag in the rigid bit, and an elastomeric insert. Sort of suspension but not suspension if you see what I mean. I'd have thought "gimmick" - except for the fact that it was being ridden (and highly rated) by Mike Lane, last season's Audax points champion and already over 15 000 km this season.
1374074642007_jhyy1a4g2q0o_800_75_670.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Blimey, Roubaix is a pretty smooth-riding bike anyway; that CoblrGoblr seatpost must make it feel like a 1950s Citroen.

Useful on the cobbles though when your testicles are being turned to chantilly cream.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Ive got a bit more padding on my ar£e than Mike Lane. He really is a cycling machine. He doesnt do gimmicks, If it didnt work well it wouldnt stay on his bike.

Problem is you have just opened up the field of possible bikes just as I narrowed it down :-)

Rando

Veteran
I have just purchased a Trek Domane and so hoping that it does not effect the life of the frame. My thoughts are that as i purchased the bike new then it comes with a Lifetime Warranty which I hope will cover the decoupler if I get any problems. I suppose only time will tell though.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I remember reading a review of the Domane and Roubaix in a magazine about 4 months ago. I *think* the domane won with 1% more than the Roubaix (95 to 96%?).

The thing I don't get is the domane allows a fore - aft movement, but bumps are more up and down. I have the Coble-Goble-R and it works well. If it should break then its just a seatpost to replace. If the domanes frame fatigues that more expensive or warrenty issues to look at.

I think @Trickedem has one.
I do indeed. It's a very comfortable ride, although I'm still not convinced with the saddle yet. But I don't want to spoil the look with a Brookes

Top Bottom