Deda Dog Fang or Third Eye Chain Watcher?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

The deda dog fang is a bit hard to put on - the screw's not long enough. Once you've got it to bite, it's already quite tight, a bit too tight to turn round to the correct position.
But once it's on it's fine.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Stereo said:
I tried the Deda Dog Fang on my Carrera at it wouldn't fit at all.
Dog Fangs fit circular cross-section seat tubes and are available in three sizes. If your seat tube is circular and one of those three sizes, they work well. If your seat tube is a weird size or shape - they don't!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Dog Fangs fit circular cross-section seat tubes and are available in three sizes. If your seat tube is circular and one of those three sizes, they work well. If your seat tube is a weird size or shape - they don't!
Wise words indeed!
They fit all our mtb, road, audax and touring bikes perfectly.
The best little, cheap accessory made.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks Speck. Wat kind of derailleur is that then? My Shitmano job doesn't have the bolt on the front right, just one on the left of the frame.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Rigid Raider said:
Thanks Speck. Wat kind of derailleur is that then? My Shitmano job doesn't have the bolt on the front right, just one on the left of the frame.

Campag Veloce :tongue:

Stereo

It fit the tube OK, but the smallest chain on my bike was too close, no room for the fang to fit:sad:

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Rigid Raider said:

After looking on the campag website, I reckon the clamp is probably made by Wilier.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Front changers come in two basic flavours - braze-on and band-on. If the frame does not have a brazed on mount for a braze-on changer, braze-on adaptors to allow you to fit a braze-on changer are available. The bolt that holds the braze-on changer to the mount is the one the K-edge uses. If you have a band-on changer, the mounting band is part of the changer assembly and will not require such a bolt. Band on changers (and braze-on adapters) will not fit onto non round/large section frame tubes - eg. expensive carbon frames, so they will have a 'braze-on' mount built in. Top end changers will therefore tend to be mostly braze-on style, lower level kit more likely to be band-on. Hope this makes sense ......

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
youngoldbloke said:
Front changers come in two basic flavours - braze-on and band-on. If the frame does not have a brazed on mount for a braze-on changer, braze-on adaptors to allow you to fit a braze-on changer are available. The bolt that holds the braze-on changer to the mount is the one the K-edge uses. If you have a band-on changer, the mounting band is part of the changer assembly and will not require such a bolt. Band on changers (and braze-on adapters) will not fit onto non round/large section frame tubes - eg. expensive carbon frames, so they will have a 'braze-on' mount built in. Top end changers will therefore tend to be mostly braze-on style, lower level kit more likely to be band-on. Hope this makes sense ......

My Wilier has a carbon frame and has what I believe to be a "braze on" mech bolted to a seperate "band on" clamp to which I have bolted the K-EDGE. See photographs plus the Campag website.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groupsetdetail/item_derVE_catid_1.jsp

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Stereo said:
It fit the tube OK, but the smallest chain on my bike was too close, no room for the fang to fit:sad:
How can that be possible? You must have a tiny bottom bracket! Don't forget, you can always rotate the fang round so that the point of it isn't next to the chainring. Surely your chainring can't be closer than the thickness of the skinniest part of the Dog Fang?

deda_dog_fang_fitted_to_dirty_bike.jpg

(Yes, I know my bike was filthy - I'd just ridden round some mucky country lanes and hadn't got round to cleaning it! ;))

Stereo

I must be unlucky, your pic shows lots of room, my bike is so tight down there:sad:

It would only fit if I rotated it to such an extreme that it failed to catch the chain correctly.

I'm just going to have to not change down during the hill, which seems odd to me, that's when I need it, not before the hill.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Speck said:
My Wilier has a carbon frame and has what I believe to be a "braze on" mech bolted to a seperate "band on" clamp to which I have bolted the K-EDGE. See photographs plus the Campag website.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groupsetdetail/item_derVE_catid_1.jsp

I have a braze-on Veloce front mech too, mounted on a 'braze-on' adapter like yours but on an alloy frame. Obviously if the frame tube is round and the appropriate diameter you can use an adapter whatever the frame is made from (note I am avoiding the words 'band on' when talking about the adapter, although it is a band that goes on the frame!).The Campag page shows both flavours of Veloce front mech, and I don't think you could use the K-edge with the band-on version.

mr-marty-martin

the think is with these dog fang things the chain can still get hooked up on it, with the k-edge it cant, it actualy slides it down onto the chain!!!!

Top Bottom