Deda Superzero Handles - External Cable Routing Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I've just purchased a pair of alloy Deda Superzero bars for the Rourke rebuild, but I am not to happy with the suggested cable routing for external cables. According to the description they are suitable for full internal or external cable routing.

But the flare on the exit hole is quite pronounced so if you want to run the cables on the outside and in the groove, there will be a quite a step in the cable run. See if the attached photos explain better than I can in writing?

My initial thought is to try and tap the flare down so that its flush with the groove in order for the cable to sit flush. Which just my luck I will try that and end up damaging the others side of the bars, but should I really be modifying bars anyway?

Unless of course I am over thinking it (nothing new there I'm afraid) and it wont actually be an issue at all?

Bar1.jpg

Bar2.jpg

Bar3.jpg

Bar3.jpg

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Just to add the only exit hole for the cable is at the rear of the bars in the centre and via the stem.

Bar4.jpg

Bar5.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Outer cabling should be rigid enough to bridge that. You can always fill the groove with something held in place with masking or electrical tape.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Outer cabling should be rigid enough to bridge that. You can always fill the groove with something held in place with masking or electrical tape.

I appreciate that the cables will be rigid enough, it was more a case of feeling the potential kink on the underside of the bars with your fingers when gripping the bars.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Run the cable just behind the groove & hole, where you're least likely to grip the bar. Or fill around it with compressible foam of some kind. Or a combination of these things.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I was maybe thinking about placing a small section (say 50mm) of 10mm or 8mm bar along the groove, wrap cloth around all the handlebars and then tighten it up in the vice to form the groove in the raised bit or at least flattening out a bit more?

The danger I guess is the other side of the bar deforming first :cry:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was maybe thinking about placing a small section (say 50mm) of 10mm or 8mm bar along the groove, wrap cloth around all the handlebars and then tighten it up in the vice to form the groove in the raised bit or at least flattening out a bit more?

The danger I guess is the other side of the bar deforming first :cry:

Yes, sods law it will. as per @Ian H above, just dont run the cable directly over the "hole", and you wont notice it under the bar tape.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Use a g clamp and small socket to indent the opening so it fits a external cable outer??

Man after my own heart, but yes a small socket would be better to localize the pressure. Then a piece of wood wrapped in cloth on the other side to spread the load, what's the worse that could happen?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Or rather then mess about can you return and find a bar that better fits your needs?

Yes, I agree.

Having spent some time looking at the "issue" in more detail last night, that's the conclusion I've come to now.

What doesn't help the situation is the "bar tape end line" shown on the bars is only just past the curve, so as the cables pass over that little ridge (or even to the side of it) it will lift the cables away from the bars and with the lack of bar tape further along the bars to hold the cables tight to the bars, I just think it will or could look rather unsightly.

Of course, you could always tape past the "bar tape end line" but then it would cover half of the printed logo on the tops of the bars and also spoil the smooth lines of the aero bars.

So rather than faff about anymore, I'm returning them today and replacing them with Deda Zero 100 bars and stem, which I have the same combo on one of my other bikes and was my first choice then got swayed towards the blingy Superzero ones. Serves me right, I should have stopped with what I know!

Great shame really as the Superzero bar and stem combo look great, but it's really made for running the cable internally and thru the stem.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom