Deep Winter Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cool_hand

Über Member
Looking for recommendations for Deep Winter Gloves.
I've been using a pair of Rapha Winter Gloves that I'd picked up off eBay a few years ago - the orange ones with leather palms; these:
https://road.cc/content/review/139479-rapha-winter-gloves
Look nice, but not that warm, good for temperatures around 8 – 12C.
Earlier in the year I picked up a pair of the Deep Winter Gloves NWT off eBay for a bargain price and have recently been testing them out in the colder weather.
https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/deep-winter-gloves/product/DWG05XXBLK
They're warmer than the orange ones but not toastie – at around 0C my pinkies are getting cold.
They're a size Medium and the size is fine but they do fit snug. I tried wearing them with a silk thermal liner but it was way too cramped. So, either the size is too small or I need to look at a different brand as these are not quite up to the task.
Prefer to not wear a liner and would consider a Ski glove if it's better than a cycling glove at keeping hands warm and dry.
Would prefer fingers as opposed to Lobsters!!

IMG_9037.png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
it all depends on how warm / cold your hands get
I found decathlon winter gloves pretty good but i struggled with sti levers with really thick gloves, when its around freezing i prefer poggies / bar mitts

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
I'm starting to get the impression that there isn't a perfect winter glove. Pogies might be a better solution.

Pogie Lites are £100 shipped - I assume I'll pay VAT + a tax collection fee so no doubt they'll end up costing circa £130.

Last edited:

DogmaStu

I have the Rapha deep Winter gloves and they are nice but...they are similar in terms of warmth to the Castelli Perfetto's, which I also have, and which are nicer, but the best Winter gloves I've got are the Castelli Estremo's. They offer genuine sub-zero warmth, long cuffs, great grip, light and don't feel bulky - you can still use a mobile.

iluvmybike

Über Member
My hubby just bought a pair of GripGrab winter gloves and finds them excellent so far

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use some thin 'liner' gloves under Altura winter gloves, nice and toasty. 1 tip you want the outer gloves not too tight the small amount of air is what helps keep yer fingers warm hence mittens tend to be warmer than gloves

gbb

Legendary Member
With all due respect to contributors, I always found other people's recommendations are not flawed, but more their tolerances to cold may be completely different to yours.
I used to suffer terribly in anything under say 4 or5 c...let alone at 0 or below. Chilblains, hot aches, painfully cold extremities were the norm at anything below 5c
Nothing I tried on recommendation worked for me. I found one thing, keeping the limbs ward, legs and arms was just as important, don't let that blood get cooled before it's even reached the hands or feet.

Top Bottom