Deep Winter Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I use non-branded ski gloves from the budget outdoor shops. My current ones are from Mountain Warehouse but I've used ones from Lidl that were less than a tenner.

Adam4868

Guru
Have a pair of lobster/claw type gloves which are good for the cold weather.Not for everyone I guess but work for me.Sure I got the from Lidl or Aldi.

Jameshow

Veteran
For those on a tighter budget / commuting I have found the thermal work gloves sold at Screwfix Toolstation to be excellent. Rubber covered but thermal lined.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
I have the Rapha deep Winter gloves and they are nice but...they are similar in terms of warmth to the Castelli Perfetto's, which I also have, and which are nicer, but the best Winter gloves I've got are the Castelli Estremo's. They offer genuine sub-zero warmth, long cuffs, great grip, light and don't feel bulky - you can still use a mobile.
What I like about the Rapha gloves is the leather palms, palm padding and the wrist gusset. If they go into their Sale I might try a pair in a size Large - see if that addresses the snug fit. My circulation is fine. Keeping warm and dry appears to be challenging. I'd like a warmer cap, more protective and better fitting jacket and warmer bib tights!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
What are you wearing on your body and arms when getting cold hands? The problem is often not keeping the core warm enough leads to cold hands or feet.

mainly this - I used to get cold hands skiing until I started wearing more base/mid layers. If your core is cold, your body sends less blood around your extremities as it would rather keep your vital organs etc warm than your toes and fingers.

So your body doesn't necessarily feel to cold, but your fingers and toes do.

Alex321

Veteran
I wear ski gloves whenever the temperature is below about 5C. I put them on this morning, and really didn't need them because it was rather warmer than I expected for the commute to work.

Alex321

Veteran
With all due respect to contributors, I always found other people's recommendations are not flawed, but more their tolerances to cold may be completely different to yours.
I used to suffer terribly in anything under say 4 or5 c...let alone at 0 or below. Chilblains, hot aches, painfully cold extremities were the norm at anything below 5c
Nothing I tried on recommendation worked for me. I found one thing, keeping the limbs ward, legs and arms was just as important, don't let that blood get cooled before it's even reached the hands or feet.

This is very true. I know I have amuch greater tolerance for cold than many people. So while I don't usually go for my ski gloves until it is down to about 5C, other people may well want them below about 10C.

And it has to be getting down to around zero before I start adding a base layer under my long sleeved cycling jersey, while again some would be doing so at anything below 10C.

Jameshow

Veteran
That's not a bad idea although it means you double up the chamois which might feel weird. I only have one set of thermal bib-tights - will try adding my leg warmers next time it drops below 5C.

At the end of lejog two pads was quite a blessing!! DAMHIK!!

Top Bottom