Deer running in the woods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Amazing arent they..
Same with a Sparrowhawk ..flat out straight into a bush to get the prey..

I love it at night in the woods with the super bright lights and the eyes in the distance looking at you..get lots of Deer where I go..really close up somtimes

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I had the misfortune of cycling through a forest one morning a few years back and finding about five or six dead dear on a stretch of road. It was so sad to see and some of the dear were quite young judging by their sizes. I reckon it had all happened the night before.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Some of the smaller woodland deer are wedge shaped so they can shoot through the undergrowth. This applies to antelope the world over (see duiker). If you have ever looked closely at a deer pelt, it is apparent they don’t go through life without evidence of occasionally getting snagged up on scrub, bramble and barbed wire. Devil's rope.

@Rooster1 it is very difficult to age many of the deer species by size unless they are definitely in a family group. Your sighting may even have been of small deer like muntjac. Teeth are the best indicator if age. Even antler growth has its vagaries depending on season, health, damage, sex and species.

Fascinating and successful animals. Down this way, numbers have to be controlled due to their prowess.

Used to see a lot of them when I lived up in Scotland. In fact deer/car collisions were common. I knew a few people who'd totalled their car. It very nearly happened to me as I drove off the ferry. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving very fast and slammed on just as a large stag leapt the fence beside me, briefly alighted on the road in front of the car, before leaping over the next fence and simply melting into the twilight. It happened so fast no one else in the car saw it and no one quite believed it had happened. Driving home late at night was also pretty hazardous as they all came down to the roadside off the hills. Someone told me it was to lick the salt off the road, no idea if that was true.

Have you seen him..??
He can lick his eyebrows..the ladies love him:laugh:
Depending on how far north he lives, he may still have a neanderthal brow.

Drago

Legendary Member
Used to see a lot of them when I lived up in Scotland. In fact deer/car collisions were common. I knew a few people who'd totalled their car. It very nearly happened to me as I drove off the ferry. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving very fast and slammed on just as a large stag leapt the fence beside me, briefly alighted on the road in front of the car, before leaping over the next fence and simply melting into the twilight. It happened so fast no one else in the car saw it and no one quite believed it had happened. Driving home late at night was also pretty hazardous as they all came down to the roadside off the hills. Someone told me it was to lick the salt off the road, no idea if that was true.

Mrs D hit Bambi on the M45 in her (then) brand new Peugeot 3008 Sport. £3500 damage to the car. If Bambi had died I'd have killed him meself.

Julia9054

Guru
I missed a deer by what seemed like inches one night on the slip road onto the A1 near Knottingley. It has gone down in legend as the Giant Moose of Pontefract.
When i lived in Zimbabwe in the early 90s, a colleague went down to South Africa to buy a new car. As they were driving it back up, a kudu leapt out of the bush and landed on their bonnet. One dead kudu and one written off car.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I missed a deer by what seemed like inches one night on the slip road onto the A1 near Knottingley. It has gone down in legend as the Giant Moose of Pontefract.
When i lived in Zimbabwe in the early 90s, a colleague went down to South Africa to buy a new car. As they were driving it back up, a kudu leapt out of the bush and landed on their bonnet. One dead kudu and one written off car.

Hah! I too spent a couple of decades that-away.

You probably know the joke that’s too rude for here: “Why is a kudu called a kudu?”

Don’t answer! (Wish I hadn’t started. Sorry)

Top Bottom