Defeated :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boybiker

Guru
I have not long got back into cycling but I thought I would tackle Boxley hill just outside of Maidstone tonight a 17% gradient hill. So I had a 5 mile cycle to get to the hill and I got 75% of the way up and I just couldn't go any further . I have got up bigger hills just with Boxley hill its hard to get any moment before hand as the bottom is a tight hairpin and getting to the hill itself is all uphill.

What are the best techniques to tackle hills like this?

sabian92

Über Member
Stay in the saddle, high cadence (speed you pedal at) and basically just find a gear you're comfortable with. Don't be tempted to stand and pedal as it actually slows you down.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Don't ever worry about hills ,it makes them seem harder,nice low gear ,high cadence,look at the front wheel an just do it,be positive and it happens,every hill you get stronger,harder the hill the stronger you get

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Stay in the saddle, high cadence (speed you pedal at) and basically just find a gear you're comfortable with. Don't be tempted to stand and pedal as it actually slows you down.
Whether you need to stand or not will depend on your fitness and your gearing, don't be concerned about the speed you go up the hill be concerned with getting to the top, actually, don't be concerned with getting to the top just concentrate on riding and before you know it you'll be at the top :thumbsup: . There are hills with sections near to me which I would not cope with if I didn't stand on the pedals.

OP
OP
boybiker

boybiker

Guru
Brilliant video that was just what I was looking for with some of those tips plus improving my fitness I will get up there in no time! ^_^

betty swollocks

large member
Really good informative video.
Nice touch of ovine-related humour.
You'd think they'd have checked their spelling though.......:whistle:

MarkF

Guru
Don't worry about not making it up :smile: there will come a day when you look forward to the harder hills which give you a real challenge

Yes! I started "hills" by going up 5 Rise Locks at Bingley, the first time I made it to the top, I threw up in celebration. It's embarrassing to think about it, now, I go up sat down, hardly working. That change took one summer, honestly, it seems ridiculous but you'll enjoy that climb one day. ^_^ .

OP
OP
boybiker

boybiker

Guru
This is the answer, dont kill yourself or do your knees in just get the right gears and you can sit and spin away. What bike do you have?

I've got a giant defy one compact so there's nothing wrong with the bike just my use of the gears , ridding position and fitness which are at 'fault'. I'm sure I will make it up next time as I'm still getting use to the bike etc.

Top Bottom