Defeated :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisz

Über Member
I have not long got back into cycling but I thought I would tackle Boxley hill just outside of Maidstone tonight a 17% gradient hill. So I had a 5 mile cycle to get to the hill and I got 75% of the way up and I just couldn't go any further . I have got up bigger hills just with Boxley hill its hard to get any moment before hand as the bottom is a tight hairpin and getting to the hill itself is all uphill.

What are the best techniques to tackle hills like this?

Boxley is a bit of a way from Maidstone - did you mean Hollingbourne Hill - I thought Boxley was still closed off while they clear up after the RR. Apologies if I have it wrong!

OP
OP
boybiker

boybiker

Guru
Boxley is a bit of a way from Maidstone - did you mean Hollingbourne Hill - I thought Boxley was still closed off while they clear up after the RR. Apologies if I have it wrong!

Defiantly Boxley hill its outside of Maidstone you go past the prison (from town) then through Penenden Heath then up the hill (or not so :laugh:! )

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, my OS map certainly shows a Boxley about 2 miles north of Maidstone, and with a chevron on the climb out of it! :thumbsup:

You wouldn't be getting mixed up with Box Hill by any chance ... :whistle:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Stay in the saddle, high cadence (speed you pedal at) and basically just find a gear you're comfortable with. Don't be tempted to stand and pedal as it actually slows you down.

Different strokes for different folks, I reckon. I will get up a climb faster out of the saddle for sustained periods, than seated all the way twiddling. I like to mix it up and use both techniques.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Really good informative video.
Nice touch of ovine-related humour.
You'd think they'd have checked their spelling though.......:whistle:
Phew, glad someone else got the pedantry in first. Actually, the secret for me to spell 'rhythm' correctly was to say it, er, in rhythm: "R.H.Y._T.H.M." Other than than decent video.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Pah, all this talk of cadence and posture and muscle groups and oxygen debt is nonsense. The best way to do this is to hire a friend or relative to be your support car for the days you go out cycling, and then require a saddle adjustment/rear brake check just as you reach the bottom of the climb.

Simples.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I share your pain. I've cycled 2400ish miles this year, average about 17mph, and I still can't get over the first Ryal climb in Northumberland. I'm just too heavy, so I need to lose a couple of stone or get a bigger cog on the rear!

Best of luck on your next attempt anyway.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Different strokes for different folks, I reckon. I will get up a climb faster out of the saddle for sustained periods, than seated all the way twiddling. I like to mix it up and use both techniques.
This basically. I don't stand up at all on a hill if it's a long one as I find it reduces what cadence I have (and believe me I don't start with much!) but other people do stand. Both methods have things to be aware of largely due to where your weight will be in relation to the bike ie front wheel lifting if you sit down, rear wheel sliding if you stand. However with practise you can mitigate these.

The most important thing is not to dwell on not getting to the top last time. Go back and do it again. These things can easily become fixed in your mind and then you'll end up getting off "because I just can't do this hill"

rollinstok

I think standing on short steep sections of a hill can help.. plod along sitting down whilst climbing steadily then stand for a quick burst if the gradient increases. I would not attempt this if the gradient increased over a long distance though, in this instance I would drop a gear or three and just try to keep the cadence up.

Brommyboy

Über Member
I would try Hollingbourne Hill a bit at a time. Once you can master that, you can ride just about any hill! It finishes with a nasty sting!

Chrisz

Über Member
Well, my OS map certainly shows a Boxley about 2 miles north of Maidstone, and with a chevron on the climb out of it! :thumbsup:

You wouldn't be getting mixed up with Box Hill by any chance ... :whistle:

Duh!!! Ignore me! (Most do) - I'll put my earlier comment down to a TOG moment (Terry's Old Gits). :smile:

Top Bottom