Defensive Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Fair comment. It has worked for me more recently, insofar as cars didn't overtake or gave me a wide berth but they still get the hump that you've slowed them down and use thir horn in retaliation when overtaking. It's never to indicate they are there.

Cab

Assertive vehicular cycling is a minimum requriement to remain safe and reduce conflict when cycling in a city. Seems to me that whats described there (looking over the shoulder, maintaining a prominent position, etc.) is precisely the same thing.

yenrod

Talking of looking behind you: I use the mirror Ive now got - a hell of a lot!

Still, look though.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Assertive vehicular cycling is a minimum requriement to remain safe and reduce conflict when cycling in a city. Seems to me that whats described there (looking over the shoulder, maintaining a prominent position, etc.) is precisely the same thing.

If anyone wants to tackle the Old Testament of vehicular cycling, John Forester's "Effective Cycling" (6th Ed) is accessible online:

http://tinyurl.co.uk/9zpq

Whilst it's aimed at a US audience, it was a key source for Franklin's "Cyclecraft" - the New Testament of vehicular cycling.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Origamist said:
If anyone wants to tackle the Old Testament of vehicular cycling, John Forester's "Effective Cycling" (6th Ed) is accessible online:

http://tinyurl.co.uk/9zpq

Whilst it's aimed at a US audience, it was a key source for Franklin's "Cyclecraft" - the New Testament of vehicular cycling.

If this forum the 'Book of Revelations' of vehicular cycling then?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cab said:

LOL, that'll get Origamist's goat.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Two things got me about that article.
One was the caption to the pic at the top, the cyclist is hardly 'braving' the boulevards as he appears to be in a dedicated bus and cycle lane with a curb seperating it from the rest of the traffic.
And two, why are these journos writing stuff like this when this advice is readily available in the books mentioned above? You'd think they'd do their research before writing about it as if it was their idea.:whistle:

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
Two things got me about that article.
One was the caption to the pic at the top, the cyclist is hardly 'braving' the boulevards as he appears to be in a dedicated bus and cycle lane with a curb seperating it from the rest of the traffic.

Maybe that's why they said the cyclist was braving it?!

tdr1nka said:
And two, why are these journos writing stuff like this when this advice is readily available in the books mentioned above? You'd think they'd do their research before writing about it as if it was their idea.:whistle:

That's a bit unfair as people were looking over their shoulders before it was written down in books;)