Defensive Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hackbike 6

Cab said:
Assertive vehicular cycling is a minimum requriement to remain safe and reduce conflict when cycling in a city. Seems to me that whats described there (looking over the shoulder, maintaining a prominent position, etc.) is precisely the same thing.
Sounds like Poppycock.

Don't know how i've managed for the last 30 years then.

gbb

Legendary Member
Is the article describing defensive or assertive cycling ? ....i'm not sure where the line is drawn.
If i'm going to move out from my normal line (to pass stationary cars for instance)..i will always take a look back at what's behind me.
It has two effects (it seems to me)
One, i know how close, how fast etc etc, everything is behind me.
Two, i really think it lets driver behind know you're in control..and they respect that.

I've not been (consciously)doing it that long...but i feel safer, and i can't remember anyone cutting me up since i started doing it.

yenrod said:
Talking of looking behind you: I use the mirror Ive now got - a hell of a lot!

Still, look though.

That is a point to remember!

Mirrors do NOT replace a good look or the eye contact this achieves.

yenrod said:
Talking of looking behind you: I use the mirror Ive now got - a hell of a lot!

Still, look though.

Don't think I would feel safe without a mirror now - constantly use it - only turn my head for lifesavers and for teh benifit of those behind (as described in Grauniad article)

BentMikey said:
How do you look on your bent though?

For glance to right...

1. Tuck left shoulder forward
2. Turn neck to right
3. Tuck chin to right shoulder

Plenty of visual field to see behind.

Cab

hackbike 6 said:
Sounds like Poppycock.

Don't know how i've managed for the last 30 years then.

Even bad cycling is quite unlikely to kill you. Good cycling minimises what risk you face though. You've managed because what you're doing isn't that dangerous.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Quite impressed Cunobelin - I can't get more than a view of my blind spot doing that. Maybe my tailbox is preventing me from turning enough, but it feels like the seat. I'd like to think I can turn around a lot too, given my backwards skating.

I've been compensating by using more signalling, which seems about as good in getting the same sort of result from drivers.

hackbike 6

Cab said:
Even bad cycling is quite unlikely to kill you. Good cycling minimises what risk you face though. You've managed because what you're doing isn't that dangerous.

So what you are saying is im a bad cyclist because I use cycle lanes/cycle defensively?
Cycling in traffic is hazardous because of the general morons out there.It can be dangerous.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
BentMikey said:
How do you look on your bent though?
I'm doing cycle instructor training at the moment, on my recumbent trike. Obviously I can't do some of the demonstrations (riding up a straight line between cones, doing slaloms etc) but I can do most of the stuff. Bikeability seems to be all about reminding cyclists to look behind before they move off; although when cycling on my own I use my mirrors almost all the time, I will have to demonstrate looking over my shoulder when instructing. It's surprisingly hard, actually, as you have to lean forward, twist round, and don't get that much of a good look anyway. But I'm demonstrating best practice and I don't imagine for a minute I'll ever find myself training a kid on a recumbent!

When on my own I do look over my shoulder if I'm trying to move to a right hand lane in a lot of traffic as it makes eye contact - I'm not sure drivers realise you have mirrors.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
User76 said:
Why cycle defensively anyway? Cycle assertively (aggressively maybe:evil:), make your prescence felt, lots of eye contact and make your intentions obvious and positive. I see people wobbling and weaving in traffic like frightened things, it leads to confusion, indecision and hesitation on both sides:wacko: IMHO that is why there so many incidents between cars and bikes:sad:

Cycling defensively will help make you safer. However, as you are already doing it, I think you might be confused by the term.

Indecision is not necessarily a bad thing either - it can make other road users more forgiving around you.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
hackbike 6 said:
So what you are saying is im a bad cyclist because I use cycle lanes/cycle defensively?
Cycling in traffic is hazardous because of the general morons out there.It can be dangerous.

How many times does this have to be said? We all have bad habits, and get away with them because cycling is so safe, and because experience helps a lot too.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Auntie Helen said:
I'm doing cycle instructor training at the moment, on my recumbent trike. Obviously I can't do some of the demonstrations (riding up a straight line between cones, doing slaloms etc) but I can do most of the stuff. Bikeability seems to be all about reminding cyclists to look behind before they move off; although when cycling on my own I use my mirrors almost all the time, I will have to demonstrate looking over my shoulder when instructing. It's surprisingly hard, actually, as you have to lean forward, twist round, and don't get that much of a good look anyway. But I'm demonstrating best practice and I don't imagine for a minute I'll ever find myself training a kid on a recumbent!

When on my own I do look over my shoulder if I'm trying to move to a right hand lane in a lot of traffic as it makes eye contact - I'm not sure drivers realise you have mirrors.

Given how low and how reclined my Hurricane is, I'm not able to look behind effectively, even with a big effort.

p.s. to get major cred on your trike, get it up on two wheels to go through the cones.