Defensive riding,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker BoB

If you stick to the 20mph zones you can just ride as fast as the traffic 😁

Jameshow

Veteran
Not at all.
I don't think I explained myself to well. The UK is a very car centric country, along with France and Spain. However it's in the drivers mindset where is the problem. In France and Spain you very rarely get any sort of aggressive behaviour from drivers. Yet in the UK it's not taught to show cyclists (or pedestrians) any respect.
I

Perhaps that's more due to propulsion density Vs France / Spain or even cultural differences . I find variation in the UK . I find Yorkshire much nicer to ride inthan SE / Devon tbh.

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

83% of adult cyclists also drive !!
Just the stressful lives we live. I no longer ride during the week evenings as everyone just wants to get home. I have found using a powerful rear light stops most of the close overtakes.
One guy, on a tv interview said the only way to calm traffic, is to have a knife pointed towards the driver in the middle of the steering wheel 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

83% of adult cyclists also drive !!
Just the stressful lives we live. I no longer ride during the week evenings as everyone just wants to get home. I have found using a powerful rear light stops most of the close overtakes.
One guy, on a tv interview said the only way to calm traffic, is to have a knife pointed towards the driver in the middle of the steering wheel 🤷‍♂️

In my view it's a case of re education, primarily it's a self centered attitude of most drivers that's the cause, I think that all motorists must spend some time on a cycle on public roads, before they progress through the levels of theory & practical driving tests.
For instance, your allowed a driving licence at 17 and provided you can pass all the requirements ,you are driving a 100 hp car capable of 100 mile an hour within months
It doesn't instill respect of other road users, there is a disparity here, motorcyclist have a very convoluted route to gainig a motorcycle licence, something car drivers ,in my opinion should also do.
Before drivers became to easily be able to afford private cars, one progressed from bicycle, moped to motorcycle then cars, natural progressive learning.
Yes , it might increase the cost of motoring, but we will have a better trained motorist ,which will benefit society as a whole

Top Bottom