Defining Cyclism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
So many people think that riding a bike means more than wanting to go somewhere on a bike.

They usually have some notion of what cycling means in some broader socio-political sense, so this is our chance to define Cyclism, and the adherents known as Cyclists.

Tin Pot’s Tenets of Cyclism:

1. Spurn all other forms of locomotion where feasible, in favour of The Bike

2. Nod, smile, wave or greet all other Cyclists unless they are wearing Team Kit.

3. Cyclists in Team Kit must not express any emotion or acknowledge the existence of any other living being (even when talking to them) unless being awarded a trophy or medal

4. Select a School of Thought on shared paths, segregated lanes, pavement use etc and Never Agree with a Cyclist of a different School

5. Believe with all your heart that it is always The Driver who is at fault

So what is Cyclism for you?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Every ride should finish in a pub.:cheers:

I think you've got it pretty much sorted there. Possibly I'd add:

(if you don't wear a helmet)
Criticise everyone wearing a helmet for being thoughtless sheep who give the impression cycling is more dangerous than it really is.

(if you do wear a helmet)
Criticise everyone not wearing a helmet for being arrogant idiots who don't take proper responsibility for their own safety.

And for me personally:

The unshakeable belief that regardless of what I eat it will be fine because "I'm commuting on a bike so I'll burn it off" no matter what evidence exists to the contrary.

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
If you enjoy Sportives - they are an enjoyable way to ride in an organised event on marked routes.
If you don't enjoy Sportives - Why would you pay to ride on the open road with a load of racing wannabes and have to wear a helmet ?

Top Bottom