Definitely got the bug !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

Hi
I got my Spesh Crosstail last tuesday & today (8 days on) after doing a 26mile run this morning i've completed 107 miles in total so far, i'm 44 & a tad overweight but i'm absolutely loving getting out & putting the work in & even after only 5 or 6 rides i've definitely felt myself getting stronger towards the end of the rides.

This Forum is fantastic aswell & very informative for a complete novice like me aswell as being inspirational too.

I luuuurrvveeee it ^_^ ......Just thought i'd say !

Cyclist33

"Like".

It's SUCH a good feeling isn't it! And 26 miles on a trail hybrid is good going.

Stu

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Cheers Stu, as for the bike....i actually find it it quite comfy to be honest although so far 95% of my miles have been on the road with the suspension locked off, probably could have done with a more road specific hybrid really maybe...but hey i'm smiling ^_^

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Wow, good going :smile:

Possibly an odd suggestion, but if your rides are mostly flat try your suspension fork unlocked but on high or max preload. I find it makes no difference to my speed (on the flat), but absorbs annoying road vibration nicely and saves my wrists on longer rides. I find i almost never bother with the lockout, with the preload up its nothing like those spongy suspension bikes :smile:

Cyclist33

+1 and don't forget that a) some forks have a blow-off valve on the lockout (mine does) so you get that same small-bump compliance Mr Jamie gets with the high preload; and b) if you're a light person, and the forward-bias of your weight distribution owing to the bike's geometry is low, you can reduce the preload as you don't need it to be as strong.

Stu

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Thanks for all the comments guys, although the 'preload & blow off valve' stuff are beyond my undersatanding (but very much appreciated) of a bike at the minute ha ha....i just get on it & pedal as hard as i can until my legs turn to jelly !

I did my 11 mile route tonight which i did the first day i got my bike (last tuesday) & managed it in 44mins & averaged 14.9 mph which knocked off over 7 mins off & raised my mph up by 2.5 from last week which i'm well chuffed with.....i even think i may have lost a lb or 2 aswell !!

You gotta love cycling :hyper:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Cycling takes you places: you will go far! :thumbsup:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Thanks for all the comments guys, although the 'preload & blow off valve' stuff are beyond my undersatanding (but very much appreciated) of a bike at the minute ha ha....i just get on it & pedal as hard as i can until my legs turn to jelly !

I did my 11 mile route tonight which i did the first day i got my bike (last tuesday) & managed it in 44mins & averaged 14.9 mph which knocked off over 7 mins off & raised my mph up by 2.5 from last week which i'm well chuffed with.....i even think i may have lost a lb or 2 aswell !!

You're nearly faster than me already :biggrin:

On your front suspension, on one side you should have the lockout lever and in the same place on the other side theres a little dial with a + and - which is the "preload" which pretty much just adjusts how firm the suspension is when the lockouts off - nothing complicated about it and super-easy to adjust :smile: Its not a big issue, I just thought it might be worth trying a ride without the lockout sometime (even if you dont want to touch the preload) to see how you much comfort you gain and how much more effort you find it takes if any.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

You're nearly faster than me already :biggrin:

On your front suspension, on one side you should have the lockout lever and in the same place on the other side theres a little dial with a + and - which is the "preload" which pretty much just adjusts how firm the suspension is when the lockouts off - nothing complicated about it and super-easy to adjust :smile: Its not a big issue, I just thought it might be worth trying a ride without the lockout sometime (even if you dont want to touch the preload) to see how you much comfort you gain and how much more effort you find it takes if any.

Thanks again, i think i'll have a mess about with it tonight when i get out for a few miles....you're right i might aswell try it out & it might actually make it even better for me :thumbsup:

Top Bottom