Defy 0 2015 vs Boardman Road Team Carbon - Both £999.99

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
You won't be able to test ride the boardman unless you have a friend with one, Halfords might let you sit on it. A giant store will at least stick it on a turbo for you, don't know if a retailer will let you take o e out. Evans don't sell giant yet :smile:

You won't be able to test ride the boardman unless you have a friend with one, Halfords might let you sit on it. A giant store will at least stick it on a turbo for you, don't know if a retailer will let you take o e out. Evans don't sell giant yet :smile:

:ohmy:Seriously Vickster,
Any ideas why that is ? CRC and Green Bike let you take them out for a quickie. Helps clear up the doubts

shadow master

Better made, better finished better detail.design and while the Boardman is a decent enough machine both the press and owners at more universal in their praise for the Defy.

And it won't be assembled by an orangutang at Halfords.

And it plain rides better.

I wouldn't be upset to find the Boardman in my Christmas stocking, but given the choice the OP presents I'd have the Defy.
I think the Boardman brand will continue to face ever increasing credabitily issues in the future as halfords think they can rely on independents to bolster the name by selling the high end ones,while halfords will have them down specced to suit there place in the market....halfords have ruined many brands before kona,GT,etc....The mags rate boardmans on initial test reviews but these can be misleading as it doesnt show longevity of the bike or the brand!

Sonic2a

I bought a boardman from halfords and they had no problem letting me take it out for a quick ride, the guy even came out with me, flipped the stem and such to make position right for me. That said this was the exception to the rule and most of the "mechanics" they have in cycle hut I wouldn't trust to change water bottle!!!!!

Drago

Legendary Member
I think the Boardman brand will continue to face ever increasing credabitily issues in the future as halfords think they can rely on independents to bolster the name by selling the high end ones,while halfords will have them down specced to suit there place in the market....halfords have ruined many brands before kona,GT,etc....The mags rate boardmans on initial test reviews but these can be misleading as it doesnt show longevity of the bike or the brand!
Alas, while its far from being in the gutter the reputation of boardman bikes has actually dulled somewhat with the passage of years as other manufacturers pay more attention to the lower-mid £500-£1000 price range. Whereas Boardman largely invented that market they are now just one of many, and the big lads like Giant and Spesh have shown they can do better. Their MTB range in particular has taken an image battering with some poor geometry choices and noteworthy frame stiffness issues in the last 2 years.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/13-intuition-alpha-road-bike-2015#tab1

interesting new range ?? As for the original choices, I was in a similar postion last year looking for a new road bike in that price. Looked at both the giant and the Boardman. I think now the choice for me between those two would be the Giant, the Boardman has the carbon frame going for it but in all honesty its not the be all and end all, Giant certainly have upped there game that same bike last year was coming with 105 not ultrega!!

LouiseSJPP

Formerly Errecaldia
The man in the bike shop told me the Defy (composite, 2013) would just glide over the road and I would love it. I thought he was puling a line, but bought it anyway. And he was right: it does just glide along, and I do love it. The Giant tyres were replaced with Continentals, and the gear ratios changed for the mountains, the rest is just fine.

sir adrian dangerous

Über Member
Can't speak for Boardman but I've had my defy 1 for 2 years now and haven't had a single bit of trouble with it. Does Boardman do a lifetime guarantee on the frame because giant do.

Top Bottom