Defy 3 Seat Stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonmccullum

Über Member
Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the seat stem?

i am thinking of replacing the standard alloy one with a carbon one, is it really worth the money?

Thanks

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
a) No, sorry.
b) No, (IMHO)

martint235

Dog on a bike
Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the seat stem?

i am thinking of replacing the standard alloy one with a carbon one, is it really worth the money?

Thanks

I've got a Giant SCR A1 which is a similar bike. The seat stem on mine is a 27.0 but just take the one you have out and measure it with a ruler. (or if you're lucky it will say on the seat post somewhere)

I've just gone back to an alloy seat post from carbon. I've never had any luck with carbon seat posts, crushed the first one and broke the link between saddle clamp and post on the second one. If you're thinking weight saving, think about how much weight you put on the saddle (ie body weight) compared to the grams you save using a carbon post. :tongue:

amaferanga

Veteran
Probably 27.2 as that's the standard size - I doubt it'll be 27.0. Giant tend to use a shim so you could either replace it with a 27.2 (assuming it is shimmed) or if you remove the shim (assuming there is one) it'll be 31.something.

amaferanga

Veteran
I've got a Giant SCR A1 which is a similar bike. The seat stem on mine is a 27.0 but just take the one you have out and measure it with a ruler. (or if you're lucky it will say on the seat post somewhere)

I've just gone back to an alloy seat post from carbon. I've never had any luck with carbon seat posts, crushed the first one and broke the link between saddle clamp and post on the second one. If you're thinking weight saving, think about how much weight you put on the saddle (ie body weight) compared to the grams you save using a carbon post. :tongue:

I have a Giant SCR2.0 and it definitely takes a 27.2 seatpost. I don't think you could measure to the nearest 0.1mm with a ruler.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have a Giant SCR2.0 and it definitely takes a 27.2 seatpost. I don't think you could measure to the nearest 0.1mm with a ruler.

Mine is definitely a 27.0. The original seat post was marked as such, the one I crushed was a 27.0. I know 27.2 is fairly standard on racing bike but it's always worth checking. On a ruler mine doesn't hit 27 so I figure it's not a 27.2 as backup to what is printed on it. Honest guv!!!

Top Bottom